When he was two years old, his mother died in a car accident. In the same year he stood in front of the camera for the first time. In the 1990s, he made some appearances as an actor in small Mexican film and television productions. His first international success was the feature film Y Tu Mamá También - Lust for Life , for which he and Gael García Bernal won the Marcello Mastroianni Prize at the Venice Film Festival . After a supporting role in Frida , a film adaptation of the life of the Mexican painter Frida Kahlo , he was just as successful with his portrayal of a poor hotel employee in the US film Dirty Dancing 2 , for which he learned to dance, as with supporting roles in Kevin Costner's Open Range - Wide Country and Steven Spielberg's Terminal .
At the 63rd Cannes International Film Festival , Diego Luna presented his directorial debut Abel , the story of a young traumatized boy who believes he is the husband of his single mother.
In 2017 Luna was appointed to the competition jury of the 67th Berlin International Film Festival .
From February 5, 2008 to March 2013, he was married to the Mexican actress Camila Sodi , whom he met while shooting the film The Night Buffalo . On August 12, 2008, Camila Sodi gave birth to a son. In July 2010, his wife gave birth to their second child, a daughter.
- 1999: The sweet scent of death ( Un dulce olor a muerte ); engl. "A Sweet Scent of Death"
- 2000: Before Night Falls
- 2001: Y Tu Mamá También - Lust for Life ( Y tu mamá también )
- 2002: John Carpenter's Vampires: Los Muertos
- 2002: Frida
- 2003: Soldados de Salamina
- 2003: Carambola
- 2003: Open Range - Weites Land ( Open Range )
- 2003: Nicotina
- 2004: Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights
- 2004: Terminal ( The Terminal )
- 2004: Criminal - crooks among themselves
- 2006: Sólo Dios sabe
- 2006: Un Mundo maravilloso
- 2006: Fade to Black
- 2007: The Night Buffalo
- 2007: Mister Lonely
- 2008: Rudo y Cursi
- 2008: Milk
- 2008: Las Bandidas!
- 2012: Contraband
- 2013: Elysium
- 2014: Manolo and the Book of Life (voice of Manolo )
- 2014: Cesar Chavez
- 2016: Blood Father
- 2016: The Bad Batch
- 2016: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- 2017: Flatliners
- 2018: If Beale Street Could Talk
- 2018: Narcos: Mexico (TV series)
- 2019: Berlin, I Love You
- 2019: A Rainy Day in New York
- 2010: Abel
- 2014: Cesar Chavez
- 2016: Sr. Pig
- 2011: "The one that got away" by Katy Perry
- Diego Luna Biography (1979-)
- Diego Luna's Not Too Good News. In: The Huffington Post. March 21, 2013, accessed December 17, 2016 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Diegito; Diggie; Wappísimo; Diego Luna Alexander|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Mexican actor and director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 29, 1979|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mexico city|