Gottfried Bernhardy (born March 20, 1800 in Landsberg an der Warthe , † May 14, 1875 in Halle (Saale) ) was a German philologist .
Bernhardy was the son of a Jewish merchant. At the age of eleven, Bernhardy came to the Joachimsthalsche Gymnasium in Berlin in 1811 . After successfully completing his degree, Bernhardy enrolled at the University of Berlin in 1817 and was there a. a. Student of the philologists August Böckh , Philipp Karl Buttmann and Friedrich August Wolf .
In 1820, at the urging of his lecturers, Bernhardy became a member of the seminar for learned schools and, as such, was employed as an assistant teacher in Berlin and the surrounding area; u. a. at the Friedrichswerder high school . on October 30, 1822, Bernhardy was able to successfully defend his theses and received his doctorate, and with effect from March 28, 1823 he was appointed associate professor - after having also successfully completed his habilitation . As such, he got a job as a private lecturer at the University of Berlin.
In 1829 he was appointed full professor and Bernhardy was appointed to succeed Karl Christian Reisig at the University of Halle . Bernhardy, as director of the philological seminar there, continued Reisig's work on semasiology and from 1844 headed the university library as librarian . He lived in Halle at Grosse Märkerstrasse 6 .
Bernhardy had been a corresponding member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences since 1846 and of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences since 1854 and a foreign member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences since 1853 . In 1866 he was accepted as an external corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences . In 1862 he was appointed a secret councilor and died as such at the age of 75 on May 14, 1875 in Halle.
- Scientific syntax of the Greek language . Berlin 1829 (in which he tries to summarize the laws of Greek syntax in their historical development and according to the individual literary genres)
- Godofredi Bernhardy Paralipomena Syntaxis Graecae (Hall 1854 and 1862)
- Floor plan of Roman literature (Hall 5. Processing, Braunschweig 1869)
Outline of Greek literature: with a comparative overview of the Roman
- Part 1: Inner History of Greek Literature , Halle 1836; 4. Editing 1875
- Part 2: History of Greek Poetry , Halle 1876–80
and the critically and historically excellent edition of
- Suidae lexicon . Hall 1834–53 (4 vols.)
- Eratosthenica . Berlin 1822 ( Geographi graeci minores vol. 1)
- Basics of the Encyclopedia of Philology . Hall 1832 ( digitized )
- Small writings by Friedrich August Wolf . Halle 1869 (2 volumes as ed.).
- Richard Volkmann: Gottfried Bernhardy. In memory of his life and work . Publisher Anton, Halle / Saale 1887
- Friedrich August Eckstein : Bernhardy, Gottfried . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1875, pp. 462-465.
- Bernhardy, Gottfried. In: Lexicon of German-Jewish Authors . Volume 2: Bend Bins. Edited by the Bibliographia Judaica archive. Saur, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-598-22682-9 , pp. 279-284.
- ^ Members of the previous academies. Gottfried Bernhardy. Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities , accessed on February 20, 2015 .
- ↑ Holger Krahnke: The members of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 1751-2001 (= Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, Vol. 246 = Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Mathematical-Physical Class. Episode 3, vol. 50). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-82516-1 , p. 37.
- ↑ Member entry of Gottfried Bernhardy at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences , accessed on January 4, 2017.
- ^ Foreign members of the Russian Academy of Sciences since 1724. Gottfried Bernhardy. Russian Academy of Sciences, accessed July 30, 2015 (in Russian).
- Literature by and about Gottfried Bernhardy in the catalog of the German National Library
- Gottfried Bernhardy in the Internet Archive
- Entry on Gottfried Bernhardy in the Catalogus Professorum Halensis
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bernhardy, Godofredus; Bernhardi, Godofredus; Bernhardi, Gottfried; Bernhardus, Godofredus|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 20, 1800|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Landsberg on the Warta|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 14, 1875|
|Place of death||Halle (Saale)|