Heinz Gerhäuser was born in Munich on May 24, 1946. Due to his father's professional activity as a deacon , he moved to Rummelsberg in 1947 and to Fürth in 1953 . After graduating from school, he completed an apprenticeship as an electrical mechanic . In 1965 he began studying electrical engineering at the Ohm Polytechnic in Nuremberg , which he completed in 1973 at the Friedrich Alexander University in Erlangen . He then worked as a research assistant at the chair for technical electronics. After receiving his doctorate in 1980, he did research at the IBM Research Laboratory, San Jose , USA.
Subsequently, he set up the contact point for research and technology transfer FTT at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg until 1985 and in 1984 became deputy managing director of the ZMI-GmbH, which was taken over from 1985 as a working group by the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft . Heinz Gerhäuser became deputy head of the institute as well as head of department for information electronics and in 1993 a member of the collegial institute management. From 1998 to 2011 he was the managing director of Fraunhofer IIS . Since 1999 he has also held a C4 professorship at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg as holder of the chair for information technology with a focus on communication electronics.
Gerhäuser lives with his family in Saugendorf near Waischenfeld .
During its time, the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits developed into by far the largest and most economically successful Fraunhofer Institute in Germany. The success was due not least to patents and basic work that led to the MP3 audio coding process. Gerhäuser accompanied this development first as a department head and then as head of the institute. In addition to audio coding processes, the researchers at the IIS also deal with issues in the areas of digital broadcast systems , navigation and location systems , communication technologies in logistics , image processing , teleworking and also in medical technology and have applied for a large number of other patents.
In addition to his institute management and professorship at the university, he was also involved in a number of committees and associations, such as B. the Scientific-Technical Advisory Board of the Bavarian State Government or the jury of the German Future Prize of the Federal President. From 2010 to 2012 he was chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Bavarian Research Foundation . He has been its President since January 2013.
- 1996 Recognition award for outstanding innovative achievements as part of the Bavarian Innovation Award
- 2001 Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 2003 State Medal for special services to the Bavarian economy
- 2005 Honorary Professorship at the Vladimir State University (Russia)
- 2006 Citizen Medal of the City of Erlangen
- 2006 Culture Prize of the Bayreuth District
- 2006 Fraunhofer coin
- 2007 member of acatech - German Academy of Science and Engineering
- 2007 Bavarian Order of Merit
- 2007 inducted into the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame
- 2011 Fraunhofer, the highest award of the Fraunhofer Society
- 2011 honorary citizenship of the city of Waischenfeld
- 2012 Bavarian Maximilian Order for Science and Art
- 2015 Special Prize from the Upper Franconian Foundation
- Heinz Gerhäuser: Applications of microelectronics in information and communication technology . Fraunhofer-IRB-Verl, Stuttgart 2005, ISBN 978-3-8167-6866-1 .
- Heinz Gerhäuser, Jürgen Hupp, Christos Efstratiou, Janina Heppner: Constructing Ambient Intelligence - AmI 2008 Workshops, Nuremberg, Germany 19-22, 2008. Revised Papers. Communications in Computer and Information Science 32, Springer 2009, ISBN 978-3-642-10606-4
- Angela Giese: MP3 co-inventor Heinz Gerhäuser is retiring. In: Nürnberger Nachrichten. October 27, 2011, accessed December 6, 2015 .
- Siegfried Balleis: Laudation on the occasion of the award of the citizen medal of the city of Erlangen. City of Erlangen, July 7, 2006, accessed December 6, 2015 .
- CV Heinz Gerhäuser. Bavarian Research Foundation, accessed on December 6, 2015 .
- History - organs and office. Bavarian Research Foundation, accessed on December 6, 2015 .
- Laudation on the occasion of the award of the special prize. Oberfrankenstiftung, August 6, 2015, accessed on December 6, 2015 .
- State medal for services to the Bavarian economy. In: WiM - Economy in Middle Franconia, edition 07/2003. IHK Nuremberg for Middle Franconia, p. 54 , accessed on December 6, 2015 .
- District reception: District Administrator Dietel awards the 2006 Culture Prize this evening. (No longer available online.) Mainwelle, September 8, 2006, archived from the original on December 20, 2015 ; Retrieved December 6, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Personal details: Prof. Dr. Heinz Gerhäuser. (No longer available online.) In: 10 Years Fraunhofer Group for Microelectronics. Fraunhofer Group for Microelectronics, p. 3 , archived from the original on December 20, 2015 ; Retrieved December 6, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Klaudia Kunze: acatech continues to grow. In: acatech press release. Science Information Service, July 9, 2007, accessed December 6, 2015 .
- Marc Briele: Prof. Heinz Gerhäuser honored with the Bavarian Order of Merit. In: Press release Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS. Science Information Service, July 11, 2007, accessed December 6, 2015 .
- "CE Hall of Fame": Award for MP3 inventors. In: ntv. March 29, 2007, accessed December 6, 2015 .
- Prof. Heinz Gerhäuser is retiring. (No longer available online.) In: Press Releases - Archive 2011. Fraunhofer IIS, archived from the original on December 20, 2015 ; Retrieved December 6, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Press release of the Bavarian state government about the award, accessed December 5, 2012 ( Memento of December 11, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinz Gerhäuser receives the Bavarian Maximilian Order. ESI User Center, November 27, 2012, accessed December 6, 2015 .
- Heinz Gerhäuser receives the special award from the Upper Franconian Foundation. In: inFranken.de. Mediengruppe Oberfranken, August 10, 2015, accessed on December 6, 2015 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German electrical engineer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 24, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|