Otto Erich German
Otto Erich Deutsch (born September 5, 1883 in Vienna , Austria-Hungary , † November 23, 1967 in Baden near Vienna ) was an Austrian musicologist . He is not to be confused with the Viennese Otto Erich Deutsch (1894–1983), who published from 1938 as Oswald Dutch .
Otto Erich Deutsch studied art history and literary studies at the universities of Vienna and Graz without completing the course. From 1908 to 1909 he worked as a music critic, from 1909 to 1912 as an assistant at the Art History Institute of the University of Vienna, from 1919 to 1924 as a bookseller and publisher. From 1926 to 1935 he worked as a librarian in the music archive of Anthony van Hoboken .
As a baptized Jew he was exposed to persecution by the National Socialists, he lived with his daughter Gitta (wife Hanna had died in 1937, son Peter went underground) from 1939 to 1951 in emigration in Cambridge , where he became a British citizen in 1947 . In 1952 he returned to Vienna.
The first complete directory of Franz Schubert's works , the German directory (published in English in 1951, new edition in German in 1978) comes from German . In addition to Schubert, he mainly researched Mozart and Handel , is considered the "inventor" of the documentary biography and is one of the most important musicologists of the 20th century.
Deutsch is buried in an honorary grave in the Vienna Central Cemetery (Group 40, No. 12). In 1980, in Vienna- Liesing , Deutschstrasse was named after him.
- 1928: title of professor
- 1959: Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art, 1st class
- 1960: Dr. hc from the University of Tübingen
- 1965: Mozart Medal from the Mozart Community in Vienna
- 1966: Prize of the City of Vienna for the humanities
- Trade. A documentary biography. Adam and Charles Black, London 1955, OCLC 465750659 .
- (Ed.): Schubert. The memories of his friends (= Franz Schubert. Volume 4). Müller, Munich [u. a.] 1957, OCLC 723237501 ; 3. Edition. Breitkopf and Härtel, Leipzig 1983, DNB 760016305 .
- Mozart. The documents of his life (= Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus: [New edition of all works]. Series 10, group of works 34). Bärenreiter Verlag, Kassel u. a. 1961, DNB 450912671 .
- Gitta Deutsch , Rudolf Klein (eds.): Admiral Nelson and Joseph Haydn. A British-Austrian summit. Österreichischer Bundesverlag, Vienna 1982, ISBN 3-215-04944-9 (posthumous).
- D 795 or The beautiful miller's wife. Otto Erich Deutsch - A life for music. Film by Claus Spahn , ARD 1983, 60 min.
- Dietrich Berke , Hans Ferdinand Redlich: German, Otto Erich. In: Ludwig Finscher (Hrsg.): The music in past and present . Second edition, personal section, volume 5 (Covell - Dzurov). Bärenreiter / Metzler, Kassel et al. 2001, ISBN 3-7618-1115-2 , Sp. 933-934 ( online edition , subscription required for full access).
- Walter Gerstenberg , Jan LaRue, Wolfgang Rehm (eds.): Festschrift Otto Erich Deutsch on his 80th birthday on September 5, 1963. Bärenreiter, Kassel 1963, DNB 451247175 (with bibliography).
- Elisabeth Lafite (Ed.): Otto Erich Deutsch on his 75th birthday. In: Austrian music magazine . Special issue. Vienna 1958, ZDB -ID 2487858-3 .
- German, Otto Erich. In: Lexicon of German-Jewish Authors . Volume 5: Carmo – Donat. Edited by the Bibliographia Judaica archive. Saur, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-598-22685-3 , pp. 385-396.
- Literature by and about Otto Erich Deutsch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Otto Erich Deutsch in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Works by Otto Erich Deutsch at Zeno.org .
- Otto Erich Deutsch in the Lexicon of Persecuted Musicians of the Nazi Era (LexM)
- Uwe Harten : German, Otto Erich. In: Oesterreichisches Musiklexikon . Online edition, Vienna 2002 ff., ISBN 3-7001-3077-5 ; Print edition: Volume 1, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 2002, ISBN 3-7001-3043-0 .
- Directory of artistic, scientific and cultural-political legacies in Austria. Estate directory - OE Deutsch. In: data.onb.ac.at. Austrian National Library (with research link and biogram, "Text: Literature Archive of the Austrian National Library [March 2009]").
- ^ Inscription Deutschordenshof, Singerstraße: Otto Erich Deutsch 1965. In: viennatouristguide.at, accessed on June 10, 2014.
|SURNAME||German, Otto Erich|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian musicologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 5, 1883|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 23, 1967|
|Place of death||Vienna|