Logo of the label
|Active years||since April 1998|
Southern Lord was founded in April 1998 by Greg Anderson and Stephen O'Malley . It specializes in Doom Metal (e.g. Church of Misery and Electric Wizard ), Sludge (e.g. Weedeater or Black Cobra ), Drone Doom (e.g. Sunn O))) or Earth ) and experimental music. Lately it has also released several bands from the Black Metal environment such as Wolves in the Throne Room , Xasthur and Craft .
Anderson and O'Malley formed the label to release the music of their own bands Thorr's Hammer and Burning Witch . Anderson borrowed money from Guy Pinhas for the first release. Anderson previously worked at Caroline Distribution, but says himself that he had no idea how to run a company.
The label is known for its releases on vinyl . Anderson was inspired to make records by labels like Sub Pop or Touch and Go Records . These small independent companies wanted to arouse collector interest and attention with mini-editions and elaborate designs.
- A storm of light
- Attila Csihar
- Black Cobra
- Burning Witch
- Church of Misery
- Darkest Hour
- Electric Wizard
- The hidden hand
- Internal void
- Lurker of Chalice
- Mondo generator
- Night mystery
- The Obsessed
- Oren Ambarchi
- Outlaw order
- Saint Vitus
- Sunn O)))
- Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
- Thor's hammer
- Wolves in the Throne Room
The label's publications can be found under Southern Lord / Discography .
- Interview with Anderson on diskant.net.Retrieved February 18, 2010
- Steve Dollar: Bringing the Heavy Back to Metal. at: nysun.com (accessed March 21, 2010)
- Interview with Goatsnake ( Memento of the original from January 9, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (Accessed April 29, 2010)
- Interview with Anderson on metalinsider.net Retrieved February 18, 2010
- LAWeekly.com: Westcoast Sound interviews Greg Anderson of Sunn 0))) and Southern Lord Records. Retrieved April 11, 2018 .