The Basel Synagogue , also known as the Great Synagogue , is the assembly and place of worship of the Basel Israelite community . It is located in the district of Am Ring at the Eulerstrasse 2. The two shimmering golden dome tops the synagogue set an oriental accent and have a distinctive appearance in Baslerstrasse image.
The first synagogue of the Jewish community was in the lower Gerbergasse around 1200. Since 1864 the Israelite Community of Basel has been discussing the construction of a synagogue, which was finally built between 1866 and 1869 by the architect Hermann Rudolf Gauss (March 19, 1835 - July 5, 1868). In keeping with the fashion of the time, the first building was a centralizing neo - Byzantine cross - dome , to which a small conche for the Torah shrine was added in the east . The women up there lay in the west.
The synagogue received its first expansion in 1892 when Paul Reber added a second dome to it, giving it a pronounced lengthwise extension.
After the renovation in 1947, the multi-colored interior gave way to a unifying gray. In 1986/87 the synagogue was again extensively restored, with the stencil painting of the east wall and the ornamentation of the ceiling paneling from the time of the expansion by Paul Reber being restored.
The Basel Synagogue is a cultural asset of national importance, registered with KGS no. 1625 in the list of A objects in the canton of Basel-Stadt and is in accordance with the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict , the Federal Act of June 20, 2014 on the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict and the Ordinance of October 29, 2014 on the protection of cultural property in armed conflicts under protection.
- Juri Weiss: picture database. Search term: synagogue. In: bs.ch/bilddatenbank. Canton of Basel-Stadt , November 11, 2008, p. 1 , accessed on July 22, 2011 (German).
- The synagogue on Leimenstrasse (1868). In: alemannia-judaica.de. Alemannia Judaica , p. 1 , accessed on July 24, 2017 (German).
- Synagogue tours. In: igb.ch. Israelitische Gemeinde Basel , p. 1 , accessed on January 7, 2020 (German).
- 360 ° panorama interior synagogue. In: concept360.ch. CONCEPT360 GmbH, February 17, 2014, p. 1 , accessed on July 24, 2017 (German).
- Synagogue: The Great Synagogue. In: synagogues360.org. SYNAGOGUES360, p. 1 , accessed on July 27, 2017 (English).
- On the centenary of the Basel synagogue: 1868-1968, Ein Festschrift . Israelitische Gemeinde Basel, Basel 1968, p. 21 .
- Dorothee Huber: Architecture Guide Basel - The Building History of the City and Its Surroundings , p. 227. Architekturmuseum Basel, Basel 1993.
- Cultural property protection inventory with objects of national importance (Federal Office forProtection). KGS-DS-Nr 1625. admin.ch , accessed on July 24, 2017 .
- List of A properties in the canton of Basel-Stadt. (PDF; 76 KB) (No longer available online.) Admin.ch , January 1, 2017, formerly in the original ; accessed on July 24, 2017 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Federal Chancellery : Federal Act on the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, Disaster and Emergencies (KGSG). SR 520.3. In: Systematic Legal Collection SR . Federal Assembly of the Swiss Confederation , June 20, 2014, accessed on August 5, 2017 (as of January 1, 2016).
- Federal Chancellery : Ordinance on the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflicts, Disasters and Emergencies (KGSV). SR 520.31. In: Systematic Legal Collection SR . Swiss Federal Council , October 29, 2014, accessed on August 5, 2017 (as of January 1, 2016).