Calendar overview 708
|Aubert von Avranches founds Mont-Saint-Michel .|
|708 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||156/157 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1251/52 (southern Buddhism); 1250/51 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||56th (57th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||70/71 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||89/90 (turn of the year 19/20 November)|
|Jewish calendar||4468/69 (September 19-20)|
from urbe condita MCDLXI (1461)
Diocletian's era 424/425
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1018/19 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1019/20 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||764/765 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Around January 15th : Sisinnius is elected Pope; he is the successor of John VII and dies three weeks later.
- March 25th : Constantine I is elected Pope to succeed Sisinnius. He has a friendly policy towards the Byzantine emperor.
- Aubert von Avranches begins building a sanctuary in what is now the French city of Mont-Saint-Michel .
- Audoin becomes Bishop of Constance .
- The Benedictine monastery of St. Paul is founded on the site of today's Severikirche in Erfurt.
- Yuthog Nyingma Yönten Gönpo , Tibetan medic († 833 )
- Theudoald , Hausmeier of Australia († around 741 )
- February 4th : Sisinnius , Pope
- Jakob von Edessa , Syrian scholar and theologian (* around 633 )
- Drogo , Carolingian Duke of Champagne and Burgundy (* around 670 )