Calendar overview 709
|Arabs under Musa ibn Nusayr conquer Ceuta .|
|709 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||157/158 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1252/53 (southern Buddhism); 1251/52 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||56th (57th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||71/72 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||90/91 (turn of the year 8/9 November)|
|Jewish calendar||4469/70 (September 8/9)|
ab urbe condita MCDLXII (1462)
Diocletian's era 425/426
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1019/20 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1020/21 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||765/766 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Swæfberht becomes King of Essex, succeeding Sigeheard , Swaefred and Offa .
- Cenred resigns as King of Mercia and becomes a monk. Ceolred is his successor .
- King Ealdwulf of East Anglia of East Anglia takes the from Mercia fled later king of Mercia, Aethelbald on.
- Pepin of Herstal campaigns starts against Alemanni Duke Willehari in the Ortenau .
- After the death of their father Gotfrid, Lantfrid and Theudebald become dukes of the Alamanni: Lantfrid probably ruled more in the north, Theudebald more in the south.
- Under the governor Musa ibn Nusayr , the Muslims finally succeed in subjugating the Berber tribes in the Maghreb . Also Ceuta falls into the hands of the Arabs; from here they conquer the Visigoth Empire from 711 .
- November 18 : Konin , Japanese Emperor († 782 )
- Mazu Daoyi , Chinese master of Chan Buddhism († 788 )
- Gotfrid , Duke of the Alemanni
- May 25 709/ 710 : Aldhelm of Sherborne , founder of the abbey of Sherborne, Holy (* around 639 )
- 709/ 710 : Wilfrid , Bishop of York (* around 634 )