Live and act
Bernhard Korte grew up as the son of a miner in a colliery settlement. After graduating from high school, he studied mathematics, physics and chemistry in Bonn from 1959 , where he received his doctorate in 1967 under Walter Thimm and Ernst Peschl ( contributions to the theory of Hardy's function classes ). In 1971 he completed his habilitation in Bonn and became a professor in Regensburg and shortly afterwards in Bielefeld . Since 1972 he has been a professor at the University of Bonn and since 1987 he has headed the Research Institute for Discrete Mathematics in Bonn. He was also visiting professor at Stanford , Cornell University , the University of Waterloo , MIT , Yale University , Rome , Pisa , Barcelona , Rio de Janeiro and Rutgers University .
Korte is particularly concerned with combinatorial optimization of the circuits for VLSI chip design.
With the income from cooperation with IBM and other companies, as well as from other donations, he was able to expand an important collection of historical calculating machines that he had already started as a student. It can be seen in the Arithmeum founded by Korte in Bonn, which also hosts art exhibitions and concerts. In 1997, Korte left his collection to the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is the most important of its kind in the world.
Bernhard Korte was an Alexander von Humboldt Fellow. In 1997 he received the State Prize of North Rhine-Westphalia and in 2002 the Great Federal Cross of Merit . He is also u. a. since 1986 holder of the Great Order of Merit of the Republic of Italy and honorary professor of the Academia Sinica in Beijing and the PUC (Papal Catholic University) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He is an honorary doctorate from La Sapienza University in Rome. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina in Halle an der Saale , the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts in Düsseldorf and the German Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech) .
- with Jens Vygen : Combinatorial Optimization - theory and algorithms 4th edition. Springer-Verlag, 2008, ISBN 978-3-540-71843-7 , doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-540-71844-4 .
- with László Lovász , Hans Jürgen Prömel , Alexander Schrijver (eds.): Paths, flows and VLSI-Layout Springer-Verlag, 1990, ISBN 3-540-52685-4 .
- with László Lovász, Rainer Schrader: Greedoids Volume 4, Springer-Verlag, 1995, ISBN 978-3-642-58191-5 , doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-642-58191-5 .
Posts about Korte
- Jörg Schäfer: Bernhard Korte - Art and Mathematics. In: Gerd Ruge , Jörg Schäfer (Hrsg.): Lebensbilder - Landesbilder. Stories from and about North Rhine-Westphalia. Aschendorff, Münster 2003, ISBN 3-402-05340-3 , pp. 164-170.
- Eckart Roloff : Discreet Star. In: research special. Bonn University News. March 2007, pp. 3–8.
- Literature by and about Bernhard Korte in the catalog of the German National Library
- Bernhard Korte at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Homepage University of Bonn
- NRW State Prize for Korte
- Bernhard Korte in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Member by Bernhard Korte at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on July 17, 2016.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Korte, Bernhard H.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 3, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bottrop|