Erik Spiekermann (born May 30, 1947 in Stadthagen ) is a German designer , typographer , type designer and author. Some of his writings, especially FF Meta and ITC Officina , are considered modern classics by experts. Spiekermann is honorary professor at the Bremen University of the Arts .
Erik Spiekermann studied art history in Berlin and financed his studies, which he broke off prematurely, by running a cellar print shop and playing bass in bars. He then moved to London with his wife and children, where, in addition to teaching and a. at the London College of Printing and worked as a consultant for large design companies. It was there that he created his first font designs for H. Berthold AG (LoType, Berliner Grotesk).
In 1979 Spiekermann founded the MetaDesign design agency in Berlin with Florian Fischer and Dieter Heil and worked primarily for companies in the graphic industry - including H. Berthold AG, Scangraphic, Linotype , Adobe and Apple .
In 1989 Spiekermann - together with his wife Joan - founded Fontshop AG in Berlin , one of the first mail order companies for computer fonts . In 1990 - again together with his wife and also with Neville Brody - the independent font manufacturer (foundry) FSI FontShop International was founded . In its FontFont library, which is of great importance today as a digital font library, Spiekermann published his fonts with immediate effect , including modern classics such as FF Meta , FF Meta Serif, FF Info or FF Unit. Spiekermann always supported and encouraged other font designers, such as B. Albert-Jan Pool , whom he inspired to design the successful FF DIN , or Ole Schäfer , who made him z. B. supported the expansion of his ITC Officina and FF Info fonts .
In 1990 Uli Mayer-Johanssen and Hans Ch. Krüger joined the management of his agency, and the name was changed to MetaDesign plus . In 1992 an office was opened in San Francisco, one in London in 1995 and one in Zurich in 2000. MetaDesign Berlin oversaw projects such as the passenger information system for the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe , for whose corporate design the FF Transit was developed from the Frutiger, which is optimized for the special purpose . Projects were and are the graphic image of the city of Berlin, the control system of the Düsseldorf airport and the lead agency for the corporate design of Volkswagen and Audi . With the London office he won the 1998 competition for the design of the image of the city of Glasgow as the UK City of Architecture & Design in 1999 .
Due to differences in content, Spiekermann left MetaDesign in the summer of 2000. Shortly afterwards, he redesigned The Economist in London and founded the branding and design agency United Designers Network with offices in Berlin, London and San Francisco. Since 2007 the agency has operated as SpiekermannPartners and at the beginning of 2009 as EdenSpiekermann .
Spiekermann is honorary professor at the Hochschule für Künste Bremen , past president of the International Society of Typographic Designers and a member of the executive committee of the International Institute for Information Design and the German Design Council and the Association Typographique Internationale (ATypI). He is the author of several specialist books on type and typography as well as numerous articles and essays. He has also been a member of the advisory board of the non-profit online platform youvo.org since the beginning of 2017 .
"I have a very emotional, if not libidinal, relationship with letters."
- 1996: Kölner Klopfer, KISD student design award
- 2003: Gerrit Noordzij Prize for Typography from the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences
- 2006: Honorary Doctorate from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena
- German Design Award for conceived by him and together with Christian Schwartz converted font family railways type of corporate communications of the German railway company.
- 2007: Admission to the European Designers Hall of Fame at the European Design Awards .
- 2007: Honorary Royal Designer for Industry , Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures & Commerce, London
- 2011: Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany for his life's work
- 2012: Lifetime Achievement Award from SoTA (Society of Typographic Afficionados)
- 2012: Lifetime Achievement Award from TDC (TypeDirectors Club New York)
- 2013: Honorary award from the German Art Directors Club
- Cause & Effect: a typographic novel . Erlangen 1982, ISBN 3-87439-307-0 .
- with Yvonne Schwemer-Scheddin and Manfred Klein: Types & Typographers. 1991. ISBN 3-7231-0419-3 .
- Studentenfutter or: What I always wanted to know about type and typography, but never dared to ask. 1989, ISBN 3-9800722-2-3 .
- Heading. Hermann Schmidt Mainz, 2004. ISBN 3-87439-661-4 .
- with Jan Middendorp: Made with FontFont. BIS Publishers, 2006. ISBN 90-6369-129-7 .
- with Mai-Linh Thi Truong, Jürgen Siebert: FontBook - Digital Typeface Compendium. FSI FontShop International , 2006, ISBN 978-3-930023-04-2 .
- Fay Sweet: MetaDesign: Design from the Word Up, Thames and Hudson. 1999, ISBN 0-500-01963-0 .
- Johannes Erler: Hello, I'm Erik: Erik Spiekermann, font designer, entrepreneur . 1st edition. Die Gestalten Verlag, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-89955-527-1 .
- Literature by and about Erik Spiekermann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Erik Spiekermann in the German Digital Library
- Search for Erik Spiekermann in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Spiekerblog (German, English)
- Writings and short biography of Erik Spiekermann in the FontShop (English)
- Interview on ideasonideas
- Interview in Deutschlandfunk August 28, 2014: "A modern classic among designers"
- Font shape . In: derStandard.at , May 6, 2011.
- Video interview Erik Spiekermann about the design and function of writing in the virtual exhibition "Signs - Books - Networks" at the German Museum of Books and Writing :
- The designer Erik Spiekermann in conversation with Joachim Scholl . Deutschlandfunk , nuances. Music and personal questions, January 28, 2018
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from April 2, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Interview with Joan Spiekermann 20 years of Fontshop, November 4th, 2009 (Link checked on April 2nd, 2015)
- ( Page no longer available , search in web archives: Spiekermannpartners and Eden Design become Edenspiekermann. ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Press release on the merger
- Why social engagement enriches the creative industries , interview on youvo.org, January 9, 2017.
- My favorite letter is the small a. Erik Spiekermann in an interview with Frank Meyer, Deutschlandradio Kultur , February 11, 2011 (link checked on September 16, 2014)
- PAGE , edition 08.2007
- The 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award from the German Design Council was followed by the corresponding awards from SoTA (Society of Typographic Afficionados) and TDC (TypeDirectors Club New York). The German ADC gave me their honorary award here in Berlin last Friday. - http://spiekermann.com/another-lifetime-award/
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German typographic and type designer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 30, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stadthagen|