Franz Xaver Schmädl
Franz Xaver Schmädl learned in Dillingen an der Donau and Augsburg or Munich before settling in Weilheim at the age of 27, where he worked from then on. At first he worked in the workshop of the Weilheim sculptor Martin Dürr , before he gained citizenship through the marriage of the widow after his death and took over his workshop. In addition, Schmädl was councilor from 1752 to 1754 and then fourth mayor in Weilheim. Because of his tax arrears, the city took action against him in 1774. Numerous parish churches in the Pfaffenwinkel are furnished with works by Schmädl. In 1758 Schmädl's design for the high altar of the parish church of Schongau was accepted, which had adopted numerous motifs from the design of his Munich competitor Ignaz Günther .
The combination of the courtly rococo style with rustic, coarse traits is characteristic of Schmädl's works. He avoided the decorative path of the Wessobrunn school . His late work shows clear classical traits.
- 1729: Palm donkey group in the Josef Chapel in Oberstdorf
- 1734: Statue of Christ at the column in Murnau
- from 1735: Altars for St. Peter and Paul (Oberammergau)
- from 1740: Figures in the parish church of St. Agatha in Uffing am Staffelsee
- 1743: Figures in the parish church of the Birth of Mary in Rottenbuch
- 1749–1751: High altar in the Rottenbuch parish church
- 1750–1770: Sculptures in the old parish church of St. John the Baptist in Rott
- 1752: Side altars in the parish church of Garmisch
- 1756: High altar of the Holy Cross Church in Landsberg
- 1756–1762: Peter and Paul side altars in the Oberammergau parish church
- 1759: Sculptures in the parish church of St. Johannes Baptist in Wessobrunn
- after 1760: high altar in the Holy Cross Chapel of Klosterschwaige Grasleiten
- 1769: High altar in the parish church of St. Johannes Baptist in Inning am Ammersee
- 1771: Statues of the apostles Peter and Paul in the parish church of St. Vitus in Egling an der Paar
- 1774: Sculpture in the parish church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary in Perchting
- Statues of Christ in the dungeon and of St. John Nepomuk in the former monastery church in Dießen
- Stucco in the Dietramszell monastery church
- Further works in the pilgrimage church Maria Aich in Peißenberg , in Erling near Andechs, Klosterkirche Andechs , Hohenpeißenberg , Sindelsdorf , Dettenschwang , Unterammergau , Schongau , Weilheim , Ettal , Farchant , Riegsee , Seehausen am Staffelsee , Peiting , Wilzhofen , Hagen , Habach and Raisting
- Paul Grotemeyer : Franz Xaver Schmädl. A Bavarian sculptor of the 18th century. Schrödl, Munich 1928.
- Heinrich Zirkel: History of the Oberstdorf market. Part 3. Hofmann, Oberstdorf, 1976.
- The rococo sculptor Franz Xaver Schmädl (1705–1777) in the Oberstdorf online guide
|SURNAME||Schmädl, Franz Xaver|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schmottel, Franz|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sculptor of the Rococo|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 1, 1705|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oberstdorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 16, 1777|
|Place of death||Weilheim|