First Țiriac was successful in ice hockey and appeared at the 1964 Olympic Games for the Romanian team. He also played tennis, which later became his main sport. He was especially successful in doubles. With Ilie Năstase he won the French Open in 1970 after a three-set win against Arthur Ashe and Charlie Pasarell . In 1969, 1971 and 1972 he reached the Davis Cup final with Romania . Between 1970 and 1979 Țiriac won 22 tournaments in doubles, initially with Năstase, but later with other partners such as Guillermo Vilas and Manuel Orantes . His only significant title in singles he won in Munich in 1970 after beating Niki Pilić in the final . In 1961 and 1963 he was successful in the GDR at the Zinnowitz International Tennis Tournament .
From 1983 he was the manager of several successful tennis players. He is best known in Germany as the manager of Boris Becker , whom he looked after from 1984 to 1993. He was also the coach and manager of Adriano Panatta , Henri Leconte , Guillermo Vilas , Anke Huber , Mary Joe Fernández and Goran Ivanišević . From 1998 to 2004 he was President of the National Olympic Committee of Romania .
The enthusiastic hunter was also a co-tenant of the Fürstenberg Hunt in Bittelbrunn for several years . Through public demonstrations by animal rights activists (2003-2006) against feudal hunting and the alleged fattening of wild boars for shooting, he and his co-tenants Klaus Mangold and Wolfgang Porsche came under fire , so that from 2007 the managers did not hunt in Germany. Țiriac then invited his friends to Romania , to his 600 hectare hunting ground near Balc (80 km from Oradea in northwestern Romania).
Țiriac's activities are not limited to sports. According to the Romanian business magazine Capital , he was the second richest Romanian in 2004 with an estimated net worth of US $ 600–700 million. As of January 2006, according to a television report, he has been the richest Romanian with private assets of over $ 1 billion.
His business activities are in Țiriac Holding as well as in some investment companies, such as Redrum International Investments B.V. in Heenvliet / Netherlands and Vesanio Trading Ltd. bundled in Nicosia / Republic of Cyprus . Țiriac Holding was able to increase its sales by 37.5 percent to EUR 2,200 million in 2007. Managing Director ( CEO ) was Anca Ioan. Petru Văduva , previously a manager at JP Morgan Chase and Bear Stearns , has been managing director of iriac Holding since January 2009 .
Unicredit Țiriac Bank
In 1990 Țiriac founded Banca Comerciala Ion Țiriac (BCIT), one of the first Romanian private banks. At the end of 2004 BCIT had 50 branches with almost a thousand employees, over 700,000 customers and total assets of around EUR 620 million in Romania. BNP Paribas , Société Générale , National Bank of Greece , OTP Bank , Hypo Group Alpe Adria were interested in BCIT . In June 2005, Bank Austria Creditanstalt (BA-CA), a subsidiary of Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank , took over 50.1 percent of the shares for 248 million euros . About 45 percent of Unicredit Țiriac Bank is owned by Țiriac itself through its holding companies Redrum International Investments BV (Netherlands) and Vesanio Trading Ltd. (Republic of Cyprus). Unicredit Țiriac Bank is one of the largest private banks in Romania.
Alliance Țiriac Asigurări
Tiriac founded the Asigurări Ion Țiriac (ASIT) health insurance company in 1994 . The Ion Ţiriac Insurance was one of the leading life and non-life insurers in Romania. In 2000 the Allianz Group took over 52.16 percent of the shares; Ion Țiriac holds 44.48 percent through Vesanio Trading Ltd., a holding company based in Nicosia / Republic of Cyprus . The insurance company operates as Allianz Țiriac Asigurări.
In November 1999, the Molesey Leasing Group SA was founded to finance automobiles and commercial vehicles . In May 2000 it was renamed Țiriac Leasing SA; several capital increases followed. The company is 99.62 percent owned by Molesey Holdings Ltd, which is part of Țiriac Holding. At the end of December 2005, the leasing volume came to around RON 400 million (around EUR 93 million).
Țiriac signed import agreements for Mercedes-Benz early on . SC CASA AUTO SRL was founded in 2002, initially importing Mercedes-Benz automobiles. In 2005 the range was expanded to include smart , Chrysler and Jeep . The Jaguar and Land Rover car brands are imported via Țiriac Auto Bucureşti - Premium Auto Motors and vehicles from Hyundai , Mitsubishi Motors and Ford via other subsidiaries . In addition, Țiriac is the majority shareholder in the car rental companies Hertz and Avis in Romania. The Țiriac Auto division generated sales of over EUR 900 million in 2007.
Ion Țiriac Air
Țiriac Travel was a tour operator and operator of numerous travel agencies, which was taken over by Alto Tours of ING Development in mid-2005.
METRO Cash & Carry Romania
Ion Țiriac has a 15 percent stake in METRO Cash & Carry Romania, which opened its first store in Romania in 1996. At the end of 2007, 24 Metro Cash & Carry stores were in operation; in that year they achieved sales of 1,590 million euros and at the end of 2008 had 6,390 employees.
Țiriac also operates a sturgeon farm in Romania with a partner and produces caviar.
He is also a passionate car collector and owns over 350 cars, most of them vintage.
- In insolvency proceedings: Boris Becker invokes diplomatic immunity. In: Berliner-Zeitung.de. June 15, 2018, accessed June 15, 2018 .
- Romania's Tiriac Holding welcomes former JP Morgan key player as new general manager
- BayernLB and HVB fight for Banca Tiriac ( Memento from July 14, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Manager Magazin - HVB-Fusion - Ion Tiriac celebrates bank wedding on June 16, 2005
- Wirtschaftswoche - Ion Tiriac - Gold im Teich, April 14, 2006
- UniCredit Ţiriac Bank ( Memento of the original from March 14, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Cum am inceput ( Memento from February 12, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Alliance Romania. In: allianz.com. Archived from the original on December 27, 2010 ; Retrieved April 3, 2017 .
- Capital social si structura actionariatului ( Memento of February 12, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Alliance Ţiriac Asigurări
- Țiriac Leasing
- Istoric ( Memento of February 18, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Management si actionari ( Memento from October 26, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Rezultatele financiare ( Memento of December 2, 2006 in the Internet Archive )
- CASA AUTO
- Ziua maşinii tale ( Memento of the original from February 27, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Țiriac Auto Bucureşti - Premium Auto Motors
- Ţiriac Auto
- Ţiriac Air
- Relatia Andreei Marin cu Ion Ţiriac Naste un documentar despre Thailanda. In: adevarul.ro. Retrieved April 3, 2017 (Romanian).
- ING Development ( Memento from February 2, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- Investment funds vie for travel agencies
- Annual Report 2008 - page 188 ( Memento of April 8, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- look into history ( Memento from August 22, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Ion Tiriac - King of the Carpathians ( Memento from August 2, 2012 in the web archive archive.today )
- Forbes List
- auto motor und sport , 21/2016, page 52
- ATP profile of Ion Ţiriac (English)
- ITF profile Ion Ţiriac (English)
- Davis Cup Statistics for Ion Ţiriac (English)
- Ion Țiriac in the Sports-Reference database (English; archived from the original )
- Ion Țiriac in the Stern Interview 2007
- FTD Monthly Portrait Ion Țiriac - King of the Carpathians ( Memento from May 20, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Romanian ice hockey player, tennis player and entrepreneur|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 9, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brașov , Romania|