Klaus Buchner (born February 6, 1941 in Munich ) is a German physicist , university professor and politician ( ÖDP ). From 2003 to 2010 he was national chairman of his party. In the European elections in 2014 , Buchner ran as the top candidate of the ÖDP and was elected member of the European Parliament . In the European elections in 2019 he was re-elected and gave his seat after the announcement on June 17, 2020 July 15, 2020 Manuela Ripa from.
Klaus Buchner is the son of the zoologist Hans Buchner and his wife Edeltraud geb. Hartmann. Buchner was born with Rosemarie Buchner. Schmidt-Pauly is married, Catholic and has four children, a son and three daughters. He adopted one of them from Mother Teresa's home in Calcutta .
Buchner graduated from high school in Munich in 1960. He then studied physics at the Ludwig Maximilians University (1960–1963) and at the Technical University of Munich (1963–1964). He then continued his studies in theoretical physics in Edinburgh , where he received his diploma. Between 1965 and 1970 he worked at the Max Planck Institute for Physics and Astrophysics in Munich, whose director at the time was Werner Heisenberg . In 1970 he received his doctorate with a thesis in experimental physics .
After research stays at the Kyōto State University (1971-1972), at the University of Chandigarh (1972) and at the European research center CERN in Geneva , he worked from 1973 until his retirement in 2006 as a lecturer and professor at the Faculty of Mathematics at the Technical University Munich .
Klaus Buchner has been a corresponding member of the Academia Peloritana dei Pericolani in Messina since 1979 .
According to his own statements, he wrote about 60 scientific papers. Even before the fall of the Wall, he managed to establish intensive contacts with Poland and Romania . In 1992 he received the Gold Medal of Merit from the University of Wroclaw .
In 1983 he joined the ÖDP . At the time he joined the party, he was still an advocate of nuclear energy and hoped “the party would withstand him”. In the meantime, around 1985, however, he turned away from nuclear energy. Even before joining the party, he had been supporting various citizens' initiatives for many years . A focus of his political work is the promotion of the middle class as "engine" for the creation of new jobs.
From 1990 he was chairman of the ecological council of the ÖDP. From 2000 to 2003 Buchner was the first deputy national chairman of his party.
ÖDP federal chairman (2003-2010)
In 2003, Buchner became federal chairman of the ÖDP. At the federal party conference on March 8 and 9, 2003 in Coburg, he prevailed in a vote against his predecessor Uwe Dolata with 120: 68 votes . While Dolata was for a concentration of party work on Bavaria , Buchner represented a nationwide claim of the ÖDP. In 2004, 2006 and 2008 Buchner was confirmed in his office as federal chairman. As of February 2010, he was the longest incumbent in the party's history.
In the state elections in Saxony-Anhalt on March 26, 2006 , he was the top candidate of the list connection "Justice, Environment, Animal Welfare (GUT)" , which, in addition to the ÖDP, consisted of the animal welfare party , the GRAY and citizens' initiatives. The alliance received 0.8% of the vote.
In June 2008, Buchner and Hermann Striedl, an assessor on the party's federal executive committee, filed a lawsuit against the EU reform treaty with the Federal Constitutional Court . The two functionaries did this on behalf of the ÖDP, as it is not entitled to sue as a party. According to Buchner, “[the contract] contradicts our German constitution in many respects . […] For example, killing people in a riot is justified. "
At the federal party conference of the ÖDP in November 2010, which took place in Regensburg, Buchner did not appear in the new election of the federal executive committee for reasons of age. Sebastian Frankenberger was elected as his successor . One year earlier he had initiated the popular initiative “For real non-smoker protection!” . According to his own statements, Buchner wants to work mainly “in terms of content and programming” in the future .
Member of the European Parliament (2014-2020)
In the eighth legislature (2014-2019) he was a member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, Human Rights, Common Security and Defense Policy (AFET), the Subcommittee on Human Rights (DROI), the Subcommittee on Security and Defense (SEDE) and part of the delegation for the Relations with Iran. He is also a deputy in the Committee on International Trade (INTA). On January 17, 2018, as chief rapporteur for dual-use goods in the plenary session of the European Parliament, he achieved an approval rating of over 90%. The aim is to ensure that the export of dual-use goods is regulated more strictly in order to avoid the military use of these goods in dictatorships.
For the 2019 European elections , the ÖDP nominated Buchner again on the list. He won the mandate again and, as before, remained in the Greens / EFA parliamentary group. In the ninth legislature, Buchner was a member of the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy and the Subcommittee on Security and Defense . He was also an alternate member of the Committee on International Trade and the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety . He handed over his mandate to Manuela Ripa on July 15, 2020 .
- Our country under the hammer: who really rules us? 2012, ISBN 978-3-95529-015-3 .
- Dictatorship of the markets: departure for the socio-ecological turnaround . 2018, ISBN 978-3-8288-4161-1 .
- Literature by and about Klaus Buchner in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Klaus Buchner in the Members' database of the European Parliament
- Federal result: Preliminary result of the 2014 European elections. Federal Returning Officer , archived from the original on May 27, 2014 ; Retrieved May 26, 2014 .
- Alphabetical list of elected parties according to parties: ÖDP. Federal Returning Officer , archived from the original on May 27, 2014 ; Retrieved May 26, 2014 .
- Alphabetical list of all elected - The Federal Returning Officer. Retrieved May 27, 2019 .
- Klaus Buchner: Resignation on July 15, 2020. In: MEP Klaus Buchner - EU member. June 17, 2020, accessed June 18, 2020 .
- M10 - Chair - Klaus Buchner .
- ödp discusses future direction at the federal party conference ( memento of May 25, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) of April 30, 2006
- oedp.de: Buchner sues against EU reform treaty ( Memento from June 19, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) (via Internet Archive )
- ödp sues against EU reform treaty ... - press release .
- Süddeutsche: Frankenberger favorite for the ÖDP chairmanship, November 12, 2010 ( Memento from February 12, 2013 in the web archive archive.today )
- Klaus Buchner: News from Brussels. August 7, 2014, archived from the original on October 15, 2014 ; accessed on October 11, 2014 .
- Klaus Buchner. In: European Parliament / MEPs website. Retrieved August 6, 2014 .
- RESULTS OF VOTES. Retrieved May 15, 2018 .
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Buchner: No surveillance technology for dictators . In: MEP Klaus Buchner . January 18, 2018 ( klaus-buchner.eu [accessed May 15, 2018]).
- Home | Klaus BUCHNER | MPs | European Parliament. Retrieved July 5, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physicist and politician (ÖDP), MEP|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 6, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|