The Kunsthalle zu Kiel is an art museum in Kiel and, with 2,000 m² of exhibition space, it is the largest museum in the state capital. The art gallery is located north of the city center on Düsternbrooker Weg - close to the palace gardens and the Kiel Fjord .
Lotte Hegewisch of the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel donated the property in 1903 for the purpose of building an art gallery. The building was built from 1908 to 1909 according to plans by the architect Georg Lohr . On November 15, 1909, the opening ceremony was held by the chairman, Carl Neumann, of the Schleswig-Holstein Art Association . Its shell limestone facade is indebted to Neo-Baroque and Art Nouveau . Two bison sculptures by August Gaul stand in front of the entrance portal .
A new stairwell was added in the 1950s. After the heavy destruction of the building in World War II and its reconstruction in 1958, an extension was built by Diethelm Hoffmann in 1986, which, in addition to additional exhibition space, made it possible to set up the painting class, the video studio and the specialist library. A new entrance area by the Sunder-Plassmann architects has opened the art gallery to the Kiel Fjord since 2012.
The museum houses the collection of the Schleswig-Holstein Art Association, founded in 1843 . The collection of the Kunsthalle ranges from the Dürer period to the present: art of the 19th century (romantic painting and paintings by the Russian "traveling painters"), works of classical modernism (German impressionists and expressionists, new objectivity) and international art since 1945. You comprises more than 1,200 paintings and 300 sculptures, including works by Emil Nolde , Georg Baselitz , Neo Rauch and Gerhard Richter . The graphic collection includes around 40,000 works, including sheets by Rembrandt , Adolf Menzel and Otto Dix as well as photographs and video works.
The holdings are shown in presentations that change every year. In 2011 the graphic collection also got a permanent shop window. In addition, once a year an artist is invited to work on the collection presentation.
The Kiel Collection of Antiquities, established in 1895, is also located in the building, with an extensive collection of casts begun in 1838 and many original pieces. It is attached to the university . Much of the original collection was in World War II as a result of air raids destroyed.
- 1947 Ernst Barlach . Plastic, drawings, graphics.
- 1948 Edvard Munch's graphic work .
- 1949 Christian Rohlfs . For the 100th birthday.
- 1952 Emil Nolde . For the 85th birthday.
- 1954 Karl Schmidt-Rottluff . For the 70th birthday.
- 1963 Rolf Nesch . Painter and graphic artist.
- 1970 Art Nouveau and Art Nouveau. Works of art from the possession of the State Museums of Prussian Cultural Heritage.
- 1971 Richard Mortensen . Paintings, tapestries, reliefs, graphics.
- 1972 Carl Spitzweg and his Munich painter circle.
- 1975 The sculptor Robert Jacobsen and his world.
- 1979 Hans Peter Feddersen , a painter in Schleswig-Holstein.
- 1982 100 years of Kieler Woche - Lyonel Feininger : paintings, watercolors and drawings, prints .
- 1984 Paul Flora - drawings.
- 1997 Artistic gymnast - art and sport 1997. Artistic gymnast of the university competition team on the balance beam, on the pommel horse and on the floor. In cooperation with the Museum of Modern Art Munich .
- 2002 Katharina Grosse . Cool dolls
- 2004 Candida Höfer
- 2006 Isa Genzken . sculpture
- 2008 Harald Giersing. Protagonist of the Danish avant-garde
- 2009 TAL R . You laugh an ugly laugh
- 2010 world sailor. Theodore Lux Feininger on her 100th birthday. Works 1929-1942
- 2010 Max Pechstein . A passionate expressionist. Retrospective
- 2011 From Trash To Treasure. On the value of the worthless in art
- 2012 Chiharu Shiota
- 2012 overwhelmingly bold. The whole of Rohlfs in Kiel
- 2013 third wave. The group SPUR , pop and politics
- 2014 Corinne Wasmuth . Supraflux
- 2014 Angela Glajcar
- 2015/16 Via Lewandowsky - hocus-pocus
- 2015/2016 furious virtuoso. Italian hand drawings from the 16th to 18th centuries
- 2016 contemporaries. Dumas , Doig and the others
- 2016 miriam cahn - at eye level
- 2016 fist for the eye. Illustrations for Goethe's masterpiece
- 2016/2017 God and the world. From the sacred to the autonomous image 1871-1918
- 2016/2017 Käthe Kollwitz . I want to work
- 2017 Ludger Gerdes . From fear to want
- 2017 Anita Albus - The Art of Seeing
- 2017/18 Nolde and the bridge . Exhibition conceived in cooperation with the Museum of Fine Arts Leipzig.
- 2018 Pipilotti Rist . Videos 1986-1992
- 2018 Alicja Kwade - AMBO
- 2018/2019 globalocal - collection presentation with guests Cao Fei , Hiwa K and Mika Rottenberg
- 2018/2019 Goya . Graphic master sheets
- 2018/2019 Franz Gertsch . Pictures are my biography
- 2019 Universe Picasso : The Vollard Suite
- 2019 intuition. Rudolf Jahns
- 2019 Lotte Laserstein . Face to face. An exhibition by the Städel Museum in collaboration with the Kunsthalle zu Kiel
- 2020 Rachel Maclean
Bison by August Gaul on the outside staircase
- 1971–1990: Jens Christian Jensen
- 1992-2000: Hans-Werner Schmidt
- 2002–2009: Dirk Luckow
- Since 2010: Anette Hüsch
- Dirk Luckow (ed.): Kunsthalle zu Kiel. DuMont, Cologne 2007, ISBN 978-3-8321-9011-8
- Hans Tintelnot : The art gallery in Kiel. On the history of a museum building. North Elbingen 1960
- Jens Christian Jensen (Ed.) 100 Years of the Kiel Week - Lyonel Feininger: paintings, watercolors and drawings, prints . Publisher: Kunsthalle zu Kiel of the Christian Albrechts University, Kiel 1982
- Literature by and about Kunsthalle Kiel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Lilli Martius : 125 Years of the Schleswig-Holstein Art Association 1843−1968. Published by the Schleswig-Holstein Art Association. Wachholtz, Neumünster 1968, p. 45.
- Hartwig Beseler , Niels Gutschow: War fates of German architecture. Volume I: North. Wachholtz, Neumünster n.d., p. 9 f.
- Extension to the Kunsthalle Kiel. In: arch INFORM ; Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- New entrance for Kieler Kunsthalle NDR online, June 1, 2012, accessed on June 1, 2012
- Dirk Luckow , Peter Thurmann, Telse Wolf-Timm (eds.): Kiel Modern 1857: An exhibition is being reconstructed . Kiel 2007, ISBN 978-3-937208-16-9 , pp. 23 .
- Anke Drrzapf, Ralf Meyer: basic democracy in the museum . In: art , No. 10/2001, p. 12f.
- Kieler Kunsthalle under new management , in: Informationsdienst Wissenschaft from July 14, 2010, accessed on August 2, 2010