Stickler attended the Karl-Theodor-von-Dalberg-Gymnasium in Aschaffenburg, where he obtained the general university entrance qualification in 1986. From 1986 to 1988 he did his military service and became a regular soldier, most recently (2004) he was captain of the reserve with the pioneers . From 1988 to 1993 he studied history , German and social studies for teaching at the Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg . In 1993 he became a member of the KDSt.V. Gothia Würzburg in the Cartell Association of the Catholic German student associations . After the first state examination he was in 1997 with a doctoral thesis at Harm-Hinrich Brandt to Dr. phil. PhD .
He then worked as a research assistant at the Chair of Modern and Contemporary History II at the University of Würzburg with Harm-Hinrich Brandt and, from 2000, with Wolfgang Altgeld . He completed his habilitation in 2003 and received the Venia legendi for modern and contemporary history . The Würzburg Philosophical Faculty I appointed him in 2008 as representative for the Bologna Process .
In 2010 Stickler was appointed adjunct professor at the University of Würzburg. His main areas of research are the flight and expulsion of Germans from Central and Eastern Europe 1945–1950 and their integration in West Germany . Further areas of interest are the Habsburg Monarchy , comparative genocide research , resistance to National Socialism , university history and student history . On October 1, 2011, he was appointed scientific director of the Institute for University Studies . Since 2014 he has been supporting the Association for Corps Student History Research with the publication of the yearbook Einst und Jetzt . He still reads at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn and the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz .
Minister of State Bernd Neumann appointed Stickler to the scientific advisory group of the Flight, Expulsion, Reconciliation Foundation . The University of Würzburg appointed him in 2012 as a representative on the board of the German Society for University Studies . He is a liaison professor at the Hanns Seidel Foundation .
- with Harm-Hinrich Brandt (Ed.): Der Burschen Herrlichkeit. Past and present of student corporations , Verlag Ferdinand Schöningh, Würzburg 1998 (= Publications of the City Archives Würzburg , Volume 8), ISBN 3877177816 .
- with Bernhard Grün, Johannes Schellakowsky and Peter Süß (eds.): Between corporation and confrontation. Contributions to Würzburg university and student history , SH-Verlag, Cologne 1999, ISBN 3894980702 .
- Portraits on the history of the German resistance (= historical studies of the University of Würzburg , Volume 6), Marie Leidorf Verlag, Rahden / Westphalia 2005, ISBN 3896468383 .
- with Wolfgang Altgeld (Ed.): "Italy am Main". Grand Duke Ferdinand III. of Tuscany as Elector and Grand Duke of Würzburg. (= Historical studies of the University of Würzburg , Volume 7), Rahden / Westf. 2007, ISBN 3896468391 .
- New beginning and continuity: Würzburg in the Weimar Republic. In: Ulrich Wagner (Hrsg.): History of the city of Würzburg. Volume III / 1–2: From the transition to Bavaria to the 21st century. Theiss, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-8062-1478-9 , pp. 177-195 and 1268-1271.
- with Markus A. Denzel and Matthias Asche (eds.): Religious and denominational minorities as economic and intellectual elites (16th to early 20th century). (= German leadership classes in modern times , vol. 28), Winkel Foundation, St. Katharinen 2009, ISBN 978-3-89590-177-5 .
- Bavarian State Center for Political Education (ed.) / Matthias Asche, Thomas Nicklas, Matthias Stickler (coordination): “What remained from the old empire”. Interpretations, institutions and images of the early modern Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation in the 19th and early 20th centuries , Munich 2011.
- The crisis of the German fraternity . In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of February 14, 2014, online version .
- with Michaela Neubert : Annual calendar of the German Society for University Studies (DGfH)
- 2016, with the thematic focus “The equal and Jewish connection system” . In: Einst und Jetzt , Vol. 61 (2016), pp. 383-418.
- 2017, with the thematic focus “Universities in Franconia” . In: Einst und Jetzt , Vol. 62 (2017), pp. 383-418.
- 2018, with the thematic focus “150 years of the German Landsmannschaft” . In: Einst und Jetzt , Vol. 63 (2018), pp. 383-418.
- Stickler, Matthias , in: Friedhelm Golücke : Author's lexicon for student and university history. SH-Verlag, Cologne 2004, ISBN 3-89498-130-X . Pp. 323-324.
- Literature by and about Matthias Stickler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Matthias Stickler's website (University of Würzburg)
- Matthias Stickler in the WorldCat
- Dissertation: Archduke Albrecht von Österreich - Self-image and politics of a conservative Habsburg in the age of Emperor Franz Joseph. Matthiesen Verlag, Husum 1997 (= historical studies , volume 450), ISBN 978-3-7868-1450-4 .
- Habilitation thesis: “East German means total German” - organization, self-image and objectives of the German expellee associations 1949–1972 .
- Matthias Stickler: Organization, self-image and objectives of the German expellee associations 1949–1972 , Düsseldorf 2004 (= research and sources on contemporary history , vol. 46), ISBN 3-7700-1896-6 .
- Yearbook of the Association for Corps Student History Research .
- Foundation Flight, Expulsion, Reconciliation: Scientific Advisory Board ( Memento from October 19, 2012 in the Internet Archive ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German university professor for modern and contemporary history|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 31, 1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aschaffenburg|