After studying at the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität in Münster and at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee , he began working for several years as a lecturer in a specialist publishing house. Peter Torberg has been working as a freelance translator since 1984. Since the summer semester 2015 he has been a lecturer at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich. In 2020 he is "Translator in Residence" at Trinity College, Dublin.
He wrote translations of works by u. a. David Abbott , Paul Auster , David Bowie , Mark Billingham , Robert Byron , James M. Cain , Peter Carey , Jerome Charyn , Robert Dallek , Anita Desai , Garry Disher , Dave Eggers , Raymond Federman , William Golding , Christopher Hitchens , Bruce Holbert , Rudyard Kipling , John Le Carré , Dennis Lehane , Adrian McKinty , Conor McPherson , Norman Mailer , Zakes Mda , Walter Mosley , Michael Ondaatje , David Peace , Donald Ray Pollock , Richard Price , Ishmael Reed , Roger Smith , Jim Thompson , Monique Truong , Mark Twain , Tomi Ungerer, Eliot Weinberger , Irvine Welsh , Daniel Woodrell , Bob Woodward , Michael Wolff and Oscar Wilde .
Torberg is a member of the Association of German-Language Translators of Literary and Scientific Works , VdÜ.
- Fulbright Scholarship (1985)
- Scholarship for literary translation from the City of Munich (1993)
- Working grants from the German Translation Fund (2000 and 2007)
- Scholarship from the Berlin Translation Workshop at the Berlin Literary Colloquium (2001)
- Working grant from the Cultural Fund Foundation of the New Federal States , Ahrenshoop (2002)
- Barthold-Heinrich-Brockes-Scholarship (2010)
- Working scholarship for the Banff International Literary Translation Center (BILTC), Banff , Alberta, Canada, 2011
- "Translator in Residence" at Trinity College, Dublin (2020), postponed to 2021 due to the corona pandemic
for works translated by Torberg
- 2006 International, 1st place, David Peace , 1974, Liebeskind
- 2010 International, 1st place, David Peace, Tokyo in the year zero, Liebeskind; and 2nd place, Roger Smith, Cape of Darkness. Tropics
- 2013 International, 3rd place, Donald Ray Pollock , The Devil's Craft. Love child
- 2017 International, 1st place, Donald Ray Pollock, The Heavenly Tablet. Liebeskind and 3rd place Garry Disher , Bitter Wash Road, Unionsverlag
- 2018 International, 1st place John le Carré , The Legacy of Spies
- KrimiZEIT leaderboard. The ten best crime novels
- 2009, 1st place, Roger Smith , Cape of Darkness. Tropics; and 3rd place, David Peace, Tokyo in year zero. Love child
- 2012, 3rd place, Donald Ray Pollock, The Devil's Craft. Love child
- 2017, 1st place, Garry Disher, Bitter Wash Road. Unionsverlag
Works (without translations)
- What the f ### U mean? Or: what is a good translation? In: Literary Month , July 33, 2018, special issue on literary translators with further contributions by Miriam Mandelkow, Christa Schuenke , Ulrich Blumenbach and Barbara Sauser.
- Literature by and about Peter Torberg in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Peter Torberg in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Torberg in the translator database of the VdÜ, 2019
- Peter Torberg , English Philology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich
- Peter Henning: The Enlightened Late Starter , in: Spiegel Online , April 4, 2011
- From the report by Peter Torberg - Brockes Scholarship 2010 ( Memento of the original of August 14, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , German Translation Fund
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German editor and translator|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 15, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dortmund|