Scharf studied law, history and philosophy at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich . Here he also became a member of the Catholic student association KDStV Aenania Munich in 1954 in the CV . Later he became a member of the KDStV Winfridia (Breslau) Münster and the KAV Capitolina Rome . He started his career in the Bavarian State Ministry of Finance. In 1966 he became legal director of Bayerischer Rundfunk at the suggestion of BR director Christian Wallenreiter . From 1973 to 1990 he was also the deputy director of Reinhold Vöth. In March 1990 he became director of the BR himself, with two re-elections until January 1, 2002. Under his responsibility, the news channel B5 aktuell on radio and the education channel BR-alpha on television were set up.
In addition, Scharf has held numerous other offices in the German and European media landscape, for example as chairman of the ARD (1995–1997). He was also President of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), who was the first and so far only German of the 70 national broadcasting organizations from 50 European countries to hold this office for 18 years. Before that, he had been involved in European broadcasting for many years as an ARD representative on the EBU board of directors.
Albert Scharf has been involved in various part-time cultural and academic offices throughout his life. He was a lecturer (1967–2001), President and Rector (1996–2003) of the Munich University of Television and Film , Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Ludwig Maximilians University and a member of the University Council of the Munich University of Music and Theater . Albert Scharf has been Honorary President of the European House Foundation - Konzerthaus Passau since 2002 . As a member of the Catholic Academy in Bavaria and as a member of the Board of Trustees , Scharf supports the Friends of the Munich Bach Choir on a voluntary basis . He was also the first chairman of the board of trustees of the Institute for Bavarian History at the LMU.
Scharf was co-editor of the magazine for copyright and media law (ZUM) as well as the collection Delp law of journalism . He was also the author of around 40 articles on media policy and media law issues in various specialist publications.
honors and awards
Scharf's services have received several awards. Among other things, the professed Christian received the Romano Guardini Prize from the Catholic Academy in Bavaria , and in 1978 the Bavarian Order of Merit . In 1999 he received the Carl Orff Medal . In 2005 he was honored with the Great Cross of Merit with Star of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany . In 2006 he received the Bavarian People's Foundation Prize. In 2006 he was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI. appointed advisor to the Vatican Media Council. In 2001 he received the Commander's Cross from the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland .
“We should think about what our own culture, that of the former Christian West, really is. This would enable us to have a confident but open and peaceful tolerance. September 11th shows how fragile and destructible our secular world is, which measures success and happiness in money alone. The attacks, but also economic problems, natural disasters, murders and wars frighten people, many feel threatened and abandoned. Anyone who brings God back into their own life could, despite all the uncertainty, gain new confidence. "
- Peter Badura , Herbert Bethge, Jean Favier , Gabriele von Watzdorf: We in Europe. Albert Scharf on his 65th birthday , Fink, Josef 2000, ISBN 3933784484
- Albert Scharf, Michail Fedotov: Media law in comparison Germany-Russia , Königshausen & Neumann 2004, ISBN 3826029437
- Albert Scharf, Fritz Resch : The Ramsau customs during the church year , Berchtesgadener Anzeiger 2005, ISBN 3925647392
- Literature by and about Albert Scharf in the catalog of the German National Library
- Prof. Albert Scharf says goodbye with his last "New Year's Address" (news aktuell December 31, 2001)
- European House Foundation - Konzerthaus Passau ( Memento from April 20, 2003 in the Internet Archive )
- Albert Scharf in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- The BR mourns the loss of former artistic director Albert Scharf . Bavarian radio. September 28, 2021.
- Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland 2001 , accessed on December 17, 2017 (Polish)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer and director of Bayerischer Rundfunk|
|BIRTH DATE||December 28, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||between September 24, 2021 and September 26, 2021|