Ulrich Wilhelm (born July 8, 1961 in Munich ) is a German lawyer and journalist . Since February 1, 2011, Wilhelm has been the director of Bayerischer Rundfunk . On 19 March 2015 it chose the Broadcasting Council of the Bavarian Radio for a second term by 31 January 2021. From 2005 to 2010 was William Chief of the Federal Press Office and government spokesman of the Federal Government for the First Merkel Cabinet and Merkel II . From January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2019, Wilhelm acted as chairman of the ARD .
Origin and education
Ulrich Wilhelm grew up in Munich and attended elementary school and Ludwigsgymnasium in Munich between 1967 and 1980 . His father Paul Wilhelm was a member of the CSU state parliament in Munich for 33 years and at times State Secretary in the Bavarian state government. His mother was a judge. From 1980 to 1981 Wilhelm did his basic military service. From 1982 to 1986 he studied law at the Universities of Passau (two semesters) and Munich (six semesters) and graduated with the first state examination in law. At the same time, he attended the German School of Journalism in Munich from 1981 to 1983 , from which he graduated with an editor's diploma. From 1987 to 1990 he worked as a trainee lawyer, including as a Congressional Fellow at the US Congress in Washington DC, and ended his traineeship with the completion of the second state examination in law. During his law studies and his legal traineeship (1983–1990) Wilhelm worked as a freelance journalist for radio and television programs for the Bavarian Radio, among other things.
Bavarian civil service
In 1991 Ulrich Wilhelm entered the civil service, initially in the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior , where he worked in municipal supervision, and later in the press department. In June 1993 - shortly after Edmund Stoiber was elected as Bavarian Prime Minister - Wilhelm moved to the Bavarian State Chancellery. From January 1995 to the end of 1998 he was responsible for press and public relations there. In 1999 he became press spokesman for the Prime Minister and the Bavarian State Government . During this time, Wilhelm headed the media department of the State Chancellery, which, in addition to the classic broadcasting law and media law departments, also included film funding, publishing, the television award and the film award. In 2004 Wilhelm became head of the Bavarian State Ministry for Science, Research and Art under State Minister Thomas Goppel .
After the Bundestag election in 2005, Angela Merkel brought Wilhelm to Berlin in November as head of the Federal Government's Press and Information Office and government spokesman with the rank of (civil servant) State Secretary .
In 2010 Ulrich Wilhelm applied for the post of director of Bavarian Broadcasting . On May 6, 2010, the BR Broadcasting Council elected him with 40 of 44 votes for a period of five years to head the fourth largest ARD station. Wilhelm resigned his government office at the end of July 2010 and took up the post as director six months later. The move from government activity to the head of a public service institution was heavily criticized in the media: It was "unique and bold", as well as "a false sign [that] [strengthens] reservations about public service providers". When he was re-elected on March 19, 2015, Wilhelm received 33 votes, five members of the Broadcasting Council voted against him and two abstained. The second term of office, which follows on from the first and thus begins on February 1, 2016, is again five years. In July 2020 he announced that he did not want to run for another term of office as director of Bavarian Broadcasting.
Honors and secondary positions
In 2013 Ulrich Wilhelm was awarded the Bavarian Order of Merit and the "Tutzinger Lion". This stands for “tolerance and cosmopolitanism and for visionary creative drive”. The "pioneering achievement" of Wilhelm was to convert the first major ARD broadcaster to tri-media, said the director of the Evangelical Academy Tutzing Udo Hahn in his laudatory speech.
In the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), Wilhelm represents ARD and ZDF in the highest decision-making body, the Executive Board.
Since 2011, Wilhelm has been a part-time head of department III / Direction for cinema and television films at the HFF Munich . Wilhelm is also a member of the University Council of the Technical University of Munich and a member of the Senate of the Max Planck Society. Since November 2011 he has also been a board member at MedienCampus Bayern .
He is also a member of the steering committee of the German-Russian Petersburg Dialogue and one of the initiators of the Charter of Digital Fundamental Rights of the European Union , which was published at the end of November 2016.
He is also a member of the boards of trustees of the Eberhard von Kuenheim Foundation of BMW AG and the Roland Berger Foundation.
In 2016, Wilhelm was awarded the Hildegard von Bingen Prize for Journalism .
Ulrich Wilhelm has two children from his first marriage and has been married to the daughter of the film producer and rights dealer Jan Mojto since 2014 .
- Jens Tartler: Ulrich Wilhelm - blond, not naive. Financial Times Deutschland, November 20, 2005, archived from the original on February 11, 2013 ; accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- Hans-Jürgen Jakobs, Birgit Kruse: Government spokesman Wilhelm - The man who stays with Merkel. Süddeutsche Zeitung, May 17, 2010, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- MUNZINGER people - Ulrich Wilhelm. munzinger.de, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- BR director election - Broadcasting Council confirms BR director Ulrich Wilhelm. Bayerischer Rundfunk, March 19, 2015, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- Ulrich Wilhelm - curriculum vitae. Bayerischer Rundfunk, October 18, 2011, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- ARD press release Bayerischer Rundfunk takes over ARD chairmanship Version 2
- ARD chair
- Alfred Vogel: On the death of Dr. Paul Wilhelm . In: New Stenographic Practice . tape 58 (2009) , no. 1 . Association of Parliament and Negotiation Stenographers , ISSN 0028-3371 , p. 15th f .
- Ulrich Wilhelm elected as the new director. Bayerischer Rundfunk, May 7, 2010, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- Bernd Gäbler: The media column on the BR director election - Angela Berlusconi's governor in Munich. Stern, May 5, 2010, accessed March 20, 2015 .
- Hans-Jürgen Jakobs: New BR-Intendant - Merkel market as kind of president. Süddeutsche Zeitung, May 20, 2010, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- BR director Ulrich Wilhelm: No further term of office. Bayerischer Rundfunk, July 10, 2020, accessed on July 10, 2020 .
- Award for trimedial "pioneering achievement". Bayerischer Rundfunk, May 13, 2013, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- Professors - Ulrich Wilhelm. HFF Munich, accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- TU Munich - The University Council. Retrieved March 20, 2015 .
- Board of Directors MedienCampus Bayern eV (No longer available online.) MedienCampus Bayern eV, archived from the original on April 6, 2015 ; accessed on March 20, 2015 .
- questionnaire. Ulrich Wilhelm FOCUS Magazin No. 15 (2006), focus.de from April 10, 2006 (accessed on February 2, 2018)
- Ulrich Wilhelm. The family closeness of the ARD chairman to "Babylon Berlin" , SpOn advance notification from January 26th to DER SPIEGEL issue 5/2018, page 63 (accessed and read on February 2nd, 2018)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer and journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 8, 1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|