You are dead on sunday
|German title||You are dead on sunday|
|Country of production||
|Age rating||FSK 16|
|Director||John Michael McDonagh|
|script||John Michael McDonagh|
Chris Clark ,
You're Dead on Sunday (Original Title: Calvary ) is an Irish - British drama from 2014. Directed by John Michael McDonagh , who also wrote the screenplay. In addition to leading actors Brendan Gleeson , Chris O'Dowd , Kelly Reilly , Aidan Gillen , Dylan Moran and Isaac de Bankolé can be seen. The film premiered in January 2014 at the Sundance Film Festival .
During a confession , a man tells Father James Lavelle that he was sexually abused by a clergyman every other day for five years during his childhood . This is now dead. Next Sunday, the abuse victim will kill him instead. The murder of a good priest will cause quite a stir.
Although James recognizes the voice of his future murderer, he does not break the confessional secret . In the next few days he will go about his pastoral duties as usual and meet a wide variety of people in his Irish coastal village not far from Sligo . In conversation with these people and by illuminating their life's fate, guilt, atonement and forgiveness are always a topic. For James, the days of the week pass until Sunday, his personal Golgotha ( Calvary ). As agreed, he goes to the beach and the killer turns out to be Jack, who shoots him.
Brendan Gleeson, who plays the priest in the film, said of the filming: "If you play a character who is constantly attacked and is supposed to sacrifice himself for the sins of other people, you need a thick skin."
The film was shot almost entirely in County Sligo in northwest Ireland . The table mountains Ben Bulben and Knocknarea can be seen repeatedly in the background . The scene at the end takes place on Streedagh Beach , in the far north of the county. Other locations were the city of Sligo , the town of Easky and the regional airport Sligo Airport near Strandhill .
On Sunday you're dead was received mostly positively. ZEIT editor Oliver Kaever summed up: “The horror at the extent and monstrosity of the systematized abuse can always be felt in this film. Sadness and anger cover the pictures like a veil. Without discussing the wrongdoings of the church itself, McDonagh tells of their effects. "The film" becomes a harrowing drama about the evil in the world, from which even deep faith cannot protect. "
The German film and media rating awarded the rating “particularly valuable” and justified this as follows: “All of this is captured in beautiful pictures, the stories about the pastor condensed into a clever, pointed script and thanks to a clever dramaturgy, the viewer is always imperceptible further drawn into the events and small and large secrets. ”Furthermore, cynicism, which is paired with“ always flashing fine black humor ”, becomes a“ unmasking stylistic device ”. On Sunday you're dead is a “cinematic masterpiece” with an “excellent cast”.
According to Thomas Klingenmaier from the Stuttgarter Zeitung , “a few tiny staging slips” and “here and there a brief echo of The Guard's riot style ” cannot tarnish the overall picture; "This is a brilliant film about church, faith and living together."
The Tagesspiegel draws a negative balance: “Despite its at least inspiring premise, the film is soon bobbing astonishingly, even drifting more and more towards Komödienstadl. The threat fades into the background, in its place are flat gags and sayings of the priest who likes to philosophize. "
- 2014: Irish Film & Television Award for Best Film
- 2014: Irish Film & Television Award for Best Screenplay
- 2014: Irish Film & Television Award for Best Actor for Brendan Gleeson
- 2014: Irish Film & Television Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress for Orla O'Rourke
- 2014: Irish Film & Television Award nomination for Best Director for John Michael McDonagh
- 2014: Irish Film & Television Award nomination for Best Film Score for Patrick Cassidy
- You're dead on Sunday German website for the film
- Calvary in theInternet Movie Database(English)
- Calvary atRotten Tomatoes(English)
- Announcement of the film at the Viennale 2014
- On Sunday you are dead in the German dubbing files
- Release certificate for You are dead on Sunday . Voluntary self-regulation of the film industry, August 2014 (PDF; test number: 146 549 K).
- The Irish priest who can drink and stand, Neue Zürcher Zeitung, article from September 24, 2014
- Calvary medientipp.ch, article from September 23, 2014
- Brendan Gleeson Gets Threatened For Being Too Nice In Calvary Trailer . CinemaBlend.com. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- 'Calvary' & 'The Last Days of Peter Bergmann' join 'Frank' at Sundance 2014 . December 11, 2013. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- | Berlinale | Archives | Annual Archives | 2014 | Programs - Calvary . Berlinale.de. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- Figures ( Memento of the original from February 27, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. from the movie's website, accessed December 15, 2014
- IMDb locations
- Oliver Kaever: Chronicle of an announced murder on zeit.de, accessed on November 13, 2014
- FBW press release on fbw-filmbassy.com, accessed on November 13, 2014
- Thomas Klingenmaier: Holy Week of a Good Shepherd on stuttgarter-zeitung.de, accessed on November 13, 2014
- Christian Schröder: Schäfchen in Wolfspelz on tagesspiegel.de, accessed on November 13, 2014