Colin Hanks was born in 1977 as the eldest son of actor Tom Hanks and his first wife Samantha Lewes (née Dillingham). His sister, Elizabeth (* 1982) also comes from this marriage. His two half-brothers, Chester (* 1990) and Truman (* 1995), emerged from Hanks' second marriage to actress Rita Wilson .
Until 1978 he was called Colin Lewes Dillingham. When his parents got married, his last name was changed to Hanks. He soon had the desire to follow in his father's footsteps as an actor, but he wanted to achieve this on his own.
During his time at Sacramento Country Day School, Hanks appeared in amateur videos and minor theater productions. After attending high school, he first studied acting at Chapman University in Orange County and then at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles .
Hanks first came into contact with the movie business in 1995 on the set of Apollo 13 , where his father played a leading role and he was a production assistant. The first small film appearance followed in the comedy That Thing You Do! (1996) at the side of his father. This was followed by a regular role in the television series Roswell , in which he played Alex Whitman from 1999 to 2001 . In Nix wie raus aus Orange County (2002) and King Kong (2005) he was both seen alongside Jack Black . In 2008 he played, among others, in Untraceable and W. - A misunderstood life , 2011 in the sixth season of the series Dexter the serial killer Travis Marshall . In the first season of the television series Fargo , which is based on the film of the same name by Ethan and Joel Coen , Hanks played one of the leading roles alongside Martin Freeman , Billy Bob Thornton and Allison Tolman . From September 2015 to 2019 he was seen alongside Betsy Brandt in the sitcom Life in Pieces .
On May 8, 2010, Colin Hanks married Samantha Bryant. They have two daughters together (born 2011 and 2013).
In 2002, Hanks received the Young Hollywood Award in the One to Watch category and received a nomination for the MTV Movie Award for Best Male Performance in No Way Out of Orange County . In 2011 he was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award along with the rest of the cast of the sixth season of Dexter . For his role in Fargo , Hanks was nominated for an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actor in a miniseries or a TV movie .
- 1996: That Thing You Do!
- 1999–2001: Roswell (TV series, 33 episodes)
- 2000: Whatever It Takes
- 2001: Ran an die Braut (Get Over It)
- 2001: Band of Brothers - We Were Like Brothers ( Band of Brothers , TV miniseries, 2 episodes)
- 2002: Get out of Orange County (Orange County)
- 2003: 11:14
- 2004: OC, California ( The OC , TV series, episode)
- 2005: Rx
- 2004: Standing Still - Looking back ahead (Standing Still)
- 2005, 2008: Numbers - The Logic of Crime ( Numb3rs , TV series, 2 episodes)
- 2005: Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D (documentary, short film)
- 2005: King Kong
- 2006: Alone With Her
- 2006: Kings of Rock - Tenacious D (Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny)
- 2007: Careless
- 2008: The Great Buck Howard (The Great Buck Howard)
- 2008: Untraceable
- 2008: Eavesdropping - My Mom's New Boyfriend (My Mom's New Boyfriend)
- 2008: House Bunny (The House Bunny)
- 2008: W. - A Misunderstood Life (W.)
- 2008: Mad Men (TV series, 3 episodes)
- 2010: High School - We're closing the school (High School)
- 2010: The Good Guys (TV series, 20 episodes)
- 2011: Dexter (TV series, 12 episodes)
- 2011: Lucky
- 2012: Out and about with Mum (The Guilt Trip)
- 2012: Burning Love (TV series, 8 episodes)
- 2013: Parkland
- 2013: Navy CIS ( NCIS , TV series, 3 episodes)
- 2014: Fargo (TV series, 10 episodes)
- 2015: Mom (TV series, episode 2x09)
- 2015: Vacation - Wir sind die Griswolds (Vacation)
- 2015–2019: Life in Pieces (TV series)
- 2016: Elvis & Nixon
- 2017: Band Aid
- 2017: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- 2019: Jumanji: The Next Level
- Colin Hanks Biography. In: starpulse.com. Retrieved October 17, 2013 .
- Colin Hanks Bio. In: Tribute.ca. Retrieved October 17, 2013 .
- Tom Hanks's Son Colin Hanks Welcomes Daughter Olivia Jane. In: People.com. Retrieved October 17, 2013 .
- Colin Hanks Welcomes Daughter Charlotte. In: People.com. Retrieved October 17, 2013 .
- Grandfatherand Broadway cheers. In: Frankfurter Rundschau . Retrieved October 17, 2013 .
- Awards. In: Internet Movie Database . Retrieved October 18, 2013 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Dillingham, Colin Lewes (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||US-American actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 24, 1977|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sacramento , California, USA|