Leitrim is located in northwest Ireland, southeast of Donegal Bay . The county has just a few kilometers of coastline south of the city of Bundoran . The landscape consists mainly of hills. Only the south-east is flat and in places there are peat bogs and lakes.
The county is relatively small, but it is very charming and characterized by lakes - especially Lough Allen -, rivers, hills and swamps.
The county capital, Carrick-on-Shannon , is a good base for visitors. You can rent motor boats, fish, cycle, explore the area on horseback or play golf. Carrick-on-Shannon is also a meeting place for boat lovers: the local boat club was founded in 1827 and organizes a regatta every August .
The county was covered with extensive wooded areas until the 17th century, when cities such as Carrick-on-Shannon, Manorhamilton and Jamestown were established. Famine and economic hardship led to emigration, so that the population fell from 155,000 at the beginning of the 19th century to just under 32,000 today.
The distribution of seats in the county council after the local elections on May 23, 2014:
On January 31, 2012, the discovery of a large gas field in County Leitrim valued at $ 55 billion was announced. According to initial information, the gas reserves could cover the national gas consumption of households for 12 years or significantly reduce gas imports for 40 years. Currently 90% of the gas consumed is imported.
- Aghamore Wedge tomb
- Annaghmore, Portal Tomb
- Church Island
- Corracloona , Court tomb
- Doon from Drumsna
- Portal Tomb by Drumany
- Megaliths of Fenagh , portal and passage tomb
- Creevelea Monastery
- Kilnagarns Lower, Court Tomb, and Wedge Tomb
- Loughscur , portal tomb
- Parke's Castle
- Shasgar , Court Tomb
- Sheemore, Passage Tombs
- Shesknan, Court- and Wedge Tomb
- Tullyskeherny megalithic complexes
- Wardhouse, two megalithic structures and menhirs
- Manorhamilton Castle & Heritage Center
- Leitrim has $ 55bn gas reserves, firm claims ( Memento of the original dated February 2, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , English , Retrieved February 2, 2012