Clonmel (south part)
Nenagh (north part)
|Irish name:||Tiobraid Árann|
|License Plate:||T (until 2013 TN and TS)|
The County Tipperary consisted from 1898 to 2014 of two separate administrative units ( administrative countys / contaetha riaracháin ), "North Riding" and "South Riding". They were renamed North and South Tipperary by the Local Government Act 2001 :
- North Tipperary ( Tiobraid Árann Thuaidh ) with the administrative center Nenagh (dark green on the map)
- South Tipperary ( Tiobraid Árann Theas ) with the administrative seat of Clonmel (light green on the map).
With the Local Government Reform Act 2014 they were merged again into one administrative unit. The two administrative offices in Nenagh and Clonmel remained.
The central plains of Tipperary are surrounded by the Galtee Mountains and the Knockmealdown Mountains to the south, Slievenamon and Sieveardagh Hills to the east, and the Arra Mountains and Slievefelim to the west. Towards Limerick , the plains in the Golden Vale open up . The Glen of Aherlow is also in Tipperary .
After the local elections on May 23, 2014, the new county council is composed as follows:
|Non-party, small groups||14th|
The county has a lot of agriculture, mostly cattle and sheep. There is also a textile industry. Silvermines has one of the largest lead and zinc mines in Europe.
Every year in April, the Tipperary International Peace Award is given to people in public life who have made a special contribution to peace.
Previous winners include former Presidents Nelson Mandela and Bill Clinton , Mikhail Gorbachev, and pop musician Bob Geldof . The 2007 award was posthumously awarded to Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto .
- Ahenny Celtic Crosses
- Baurnadomeeny Wedge Tomb
- In Cashel, the Rock of Cashel , a castle steeped in tradition, and the Hore Abbey , a ruined monastery, are in sight of each other.
- Graves of the Leinstermen stone row
- Holy Cross Abbey
- Knockshanbritta's Wedge tomb
- Passage Tomb by Shrough
- Sean Ross Abbey Roscrea
- Shanballyedmond Wedge tomb
The It's a Long Way to Tipperary military march made this area famous.
- Tipperary Peace Convention with information on the Peace Prize