Kronzucker was born in Munich in 1936. His mother was an opera singer, his father in the tourism industry. He grew up in Tegernsee and Cologne . At the humanistic Wittelsbacher Gymnasium in Munich, where he graduated from high school in 1954 , he founded a school newspaper at the age of thirteen, of which he was editor-in-chief. He then studied philosophy and cultural history at the universities in Munich, Barcelona and Vienna. It was in 1962 at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Vienna with a thesis on public opinion and popular newspaper in the presence of Dr. phil. PhD.
From 1961 he worked as a freelancer for the international broadcaster Deutsche Welle (radio) in Cologne, and in 1962 he switched to WDR television . There he worked for the regional program Here and Today as well as the political magazines Monitor and Weltspiegel . In 1968 he was ARD correspondent in Spain, Portugal and North Africa. During the Vietnam War 1968/69 he reported from Indochina. In 1970 he became a freelance correspondent in Latin America for ARD, based in Caracas, Venezuela. From 1973 he was head of the NDR international department. From 1975 to 1977 he was the deputy editor-in-chief of the current affairs department of the NDR in Hamburg as well as editor-in-chief and moderator of Weltspiegel . In 1976 he and the editor-in-chief Peter Merseburger developed the political-satirical weekly magazine Extra Drei , which he moderated in 1976/77. As part of a program reform at ZDF , he founded the news journal heute-journal with Klaus Bresser in 1978 . He moderated this from 1978 to 1980 and from 1986 to 1988. From 1981 to 1986 he was a ZDF correspondent in Washington, DC. From 1987 to 1989 he led the ZDF class reunion . In 1988 he became head of the editorial team for the ZDF series " Abenteuer und Legenden" . In 1989/90 he was a special correspondent in the GDR .
In 1990 he switched to the private broadcaster Sat.1 , where he presented the political magazine Quadriga in 1991 . Later he was also a consultant for the follow-up project Akut . He was also a newscaster with Brigitte Weirich for the main news program Guten Abend, Deutschland . Due to poor audience ratings, he quit his job as an anchorman in 1992. In 1992/93 he produced the travel report Kronzucker on the go . In 1993 he became head of the Sat.1 studio in Washington, DC, and in 1996 of the correspondents' office in Brussels. In 2001 he became the moderator of the international magazine Weltreporter and in 2005 of the knowledge magazine Kronzuckers Kosmos , both at the news channel N24 founded by the ProSieben Group . From 2004 to 2007 he headed the magazine Kronzuckers Welt . From 2007 he also moderated the documentary series Menschen & Mythen . In 2008 he became a special correspondent for the ProSiebenSat.1 Group.
Kronzucker was most recently the diplomatic correspondent of the Christian-oriented Rheinischer Merkurs .
From 1991 he taught journalism at the University of Hamburg . From 2001 to 2007 he was professor for television journalism and documentation at the University of Television and Film Munich (HFF Munich). Since 2008 he has been professor of communication management at the SRH Hochschule Berlin .
He built a hotel in Mexico. In the Kronzucker kidnapping were 1980 in Barberino Val d'Elsa abducted his two daughters and a nephew and detained for over two months. His daughter Susanne Kronzucker is also a journalist and presenter. Kronzucker lives in Berlin , Munich and Tegernsee .
- 1979: Bambi from Burda Verlag , best German television journalist
- 1984: Bambi of Burda Verlag, readers' choice of the most popular foreign correspondent
- 1985: Golden Gong from the television magazine Gong for pictures from America , together with Hanns Joachim Friedrichs
- 1988: Leo M. Goodman Award from the American Chamber of Commerce
- 1988: Lucius D. Clay Medal of the Association of German-American Clubs
- 1989: Concord Prize from the Concord Society for German-American Relations
- 1990: Mini-Bambi from Burda-Verlag
- 2002: Hans Klein Media Prize from the TV Academy Central Germany for his life's work as a journalist
- 2007: Journalism Prize of the City of Munich
- 2008: Bavarian Television Prize , Honorary Prize from the Bavarian Prime Minister
- 2009: Golden Prometheus from Helios Verlag, for his life's work
- Caramba, south of America. Working notes from a television correspondent . Informedia-Verlag, Cologne 1974.
- (Ed.): Cuba in a tight spot . Droemer Knaur, Munich 1981, ISBN 3-426-03667-3 .
- Our America . Rowohlt, Reinbek 1987, ISBN 3-498-03455-3 . (License, Bertelsmann, 1988; License, Deutscher Bücherbund, 1988; Rororo, Rowohlt, 1990)
- with Klaus Emmerich : The American Century . Econ-Verlag, Düsseldorf u. a. 1989, ISBN 3-430-15701-3 . (License, Bertelsmann, 1990; approved unabridged paperback edition, Heyne, 1990; current paperback edition, Econ, 1997)
- with Franz Tartarotti: Adventure and Legends. From Ararat to the Amazon . Lübbe, Bergisch Gladbach 1989, ISBN 3-7857-0555-7 . (License, German Book Association, 1991)
- The day of the condor. From Cuba to Brazil. The political biography of a continent . Rowohlt, Reinbek 1991, ISBN 3-498-03478-2 . (e.g. paperback edition, Rowohlt, 1992)
- with Gerd Weiss: "I think this is America". From Alaska to Araucania . Lübbe, Bergisch Gladbach 1992, ISBN 3-7857-0648-0 . (Paperback, Lübbe, 1994)
- USA - on new paths through the new world . Reichenbach-Verlag, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-625-10550-0 . (License, Naumann and Göbel, 1994)
- Australia . License, Naumann and Göbel, Cologne 1995, ISBN 3-625-10552-7 .
- Africa . License, Naumann and Göbel, Cologne 1995, ISBN 3-625-10553-5 .
- Asia . License, Naumann and Göbel, Cologne 1996, ISBN 3-625-10554-3 .
- Dream trips. The most beautiful travel routes in five continents . Naumann and Göbel, Cologne 1997, ISBN 3-625-10555-1 .
- My Europe . Rütten and Loening, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-352-00623-7 . (License, construction, 2001)
- with John C. Kornblum : Mission America. World power at a turning point . Redline-Verlag, Munich 2009, ISBN 978-3-86881-032-5 .
- Dieter Kronzucker in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Literature by and about Dieter Kronzucker in the catalog of the German National Library
- Dieter Kronzucker , Internationales Biographisches Archiv 04/2016 from January 26, 2016 (se), in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely available)
- Dieter Kronzucker on sat1.de
- Verena Renneberg: Foreign Correspondence in the Global Age. Challenges of modern TV international reporting (= VS research ). VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, Wiesbaden 2011, ISBN 978-3-531-17583-6 , pp. 103, 293.
- Sven Behrmann: Political satire in German and French radio (= Saarbrücker contributions to comparative literary and cultural studies . Vol. 20). Königshausen and Neumann, Würzburg 2002, ISBN 3-8260-2346-3 , p. 175.
- Johannes Mehne: Die Nachrichtenjournale Tagesthemen and heute journal (= Research ). Springer VS, Wiesbaden 2013, ISBN 978-3-658-01649-4 , p. 54.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kronzucker, Hans-Dieter (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist, television presenter, publicist and university lecturer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 22, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|