Hassanal Bolkiah (born July 15, 1946 in Bandar Seri Begawan ; full short form Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzadin Waddaulah , full name Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien ) is the 29. Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei . He took over government on October 4, 1967 from his father Omar Ali Saifuddin III. and is Head of State and Chairman of the Council of Ministers and also Premier , Defense , Foreign Affairsas well as finance minister in one person and supreme guardian of the Islamic state religion .
According to the 1959 Constitution, the Sultan is the head of state with full executive powers. In 1962 this was expanded to include emergency laws. As prime minister, he also acts as head of government. In addition to the Ministry of Finance, the Sultan also heads the Ministry of Defense, which makes him Supreme Commander of the Royal Brunei Armed Forces .
Bolkiah resides in the Istana Nurul Iman in Bandar Seri Begawan , the largest palace on earth. With a fortune of more than 20 billion US dollars, he is one of the richest people in the world and is considered the second richest monarch (as of 2015).
In 1991 he declared the implementation of the so-called Malay Islamic Monarchy, which made the monarchy the defender of the faith. The reintroduction of the death penalty by stoning in 2014 as part of the reintroduction of Sharia law has been internationally criticized, as has the death penalty for homosexuality and adultery introduced in 2019.
Marriage and offspring
The Sultan has (as of June 2010) a wife who has also been the first wife since their wedding in 1965. It is Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha , known as Queen Saleha , who is a direct cousin of the Sultan.
His second wife, Pengiran Isteri Hajah Mariam, was a flight attendant for Royal Brunei Airlines , from whom Bolkiah divorced in 2003. In August 2005 he married the Malaysian television reporter Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim , from whom he divorced in 2010. Both former women were stripped of all titles and medals.
The sultan has a total of 12 children with three wives.
- Queen Saleha:
- Princess Rashidah (born July 26, 1969)
- Princess Muta-Wakkilah (born October 12, 1971)
- Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah (born February 17, 1974)
- Princess Majeedah (born March 16, 1976)
- Princess Hafizah (born March 12, 1980)
- Prince Abdul Malik (born June 30, 1983)
- Hajah Mariam
- Prince Abdul Azim (born July 29, 1982)
- Princess Azemah (born September 26, 1984)
- Princess Fadzillah (born August 23, 1985)
- Prince Abdul Mateen (born August 10, 1991)
- Azrinaz Mazhar Hakim
- Prince Abdul Wakeel (born June 1, 2006)
- Princess Ameerah (born January 28, 2008)
free time activities
Bolkiah's hobby is horse riding . He owns the largest sports and luxury car collection in the world, and for the proper use of which he had a racing track built on his palace grounds. It is said to be around 3,000 to 5,000 vehicles, including countless one-offs from the most renowned manufacturers in the world, the unit prices of which often reach seven-digit US dollars. His 142 meter long yacht is one of the largest in the world.
Award and medal
Sultan Bolkiah has received numerous awards and decorations. The most important include the British Order of Order of the Bath and Order of St Michael and St George and the knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II. From the Japanese Emperor , he received in 1984 the Order of the Chrysanthemum ; on March 30, 1998 he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit.
Bolkiah holds honorary doctorates from Russia and Thailand as well as in Law of the University of Oxford , the University of Aberdeen , of King's College London and the National University of Singapore and in Humanities and Culture of the University of Indonesia .
- These Are the 10 Richest Royals in the World. TIME, June 1, 2015
- Official press release of the Brunei Royal Family, June 17, 2010
- Sultan of Brunei: His private automotive empire, automotoportal.com, July 26, 2006
- Sultan's Flight - Fleet. ch-aviation . Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- Christopher Buyers: The Royal Ark ; Tim Wessling: THE SUPER-SULTAN ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/brunei/10395702/Brunei-introduces-death-by-stoning-under-new-Islamic-laws.html October 22, 2013
- Archived copy ( memento of the original from March 26, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. April 15, 2011
- http://law.nus.edu.sg/about_us/news/2005/PRel_270105.pdf January 27, 2005
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from March 27, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. April 17, 2011
|Omar Ali Saifuddin III.||
Sultan of Brunei
October 4th 1967
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hassan al-Bolkiah|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Brunei sultan, is considered one of the richest people on earth|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 15, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bandar Seri Begawan|