State Youth Choir Thuringia
|State Youth Choir Thuringia|
|Carrier:||Thuringian State Music Academy Sondershausen e. V.|
|Genus:||State Youth Choir|
|Founder:||Regional Music Council|
|Head :||Nikolaus Müller|
|Voices :||35 (SATB)|
The State Youth Choir Thuringia (LJC Thuringia) is a choir made up of adolescents and young adults from Thuringia and promotes the gifted. The state youth choir consists of around 35 singers. The choir is supported by the Sondershausen State Music Academy in cooperation with the Thuringia State Music Council . The ensemble is under the artistic direction of Nikolaus Müller.
The ensemble was founded in 1997 by Christian Frank . In the following two years Gert Frischmuth directed the choir. In 2004 Christian Frank reanimated the LJC idea for Thuringia. The Thuringian State Music Academy Sondershausen took over the sponsorship of the choir from 2009. Frank directed the ensemble until 2012. Since 2013 it has been led by Nikolaus Müller, a former Thomaner. He re-founded the state youth choir with workshops in several cities in the Free State of Thuringia and in cooperation with experienced voice trainers.
First appearances took the newly founded choir to the 2014 German Choir Competition in Weimar, and a year later to the Handel Festival in Halle and the Altenburg Music Festival. The anniversary of the Reformation in 2017 was commemorated with two large-scale projects on the subject of "Martin Luther and Music". a. as part of the Heinrich Schütz Music Festival and at the Wartburg Eisenach. In 2019 the choir and the State Youth Orchestra of Thuringia performed the final concert of the Liszt Biennale in Sondershausen and performed Franz Liszt's cantata "Beethoven's Saecular Celebration" for the first time in over 120 years.
Rediscovering well-known choral music and making largely undiscovered works known is the motto to which the State Youth Choir has dedicated itself. Five times a year, rehearsal phases lasting several days take place in Thuringia and the neighboring federal states, during which a demanding concert program is worked out together. The musical work is supported by experienced voice trainers.
The main focus of the repertoire is on sacred and secular a cappella music and ranges from settings from the 16th century to contemporary compositions and world premieres. The choir has also dedicated itself to the largely unknown work of Wilhelm Berger - Hofkapellmeister at the Meininger Hof from 1903 to 1911. The Landejugendchor's first CD recording with a selection of its choral music was released on the Rondeau label in October 2017 .
The organizational management of the State Youth Choir Thuringia lies with Christoph Caesar at the Thuringian State Music Academy in Sondershausen.
- November 2004 - Concert in St. Bartholomäi Altenburg - including WA Mozart : "Missa in D"
- March 2005 - Concert in the Schloss Elisabethenburg and in the Brahms Hall in Meiningen
- June 2005 - Concert for the opening of the Landesmusikakademie Thuringia in Sondershausen in the Achteckhaus
- August 2005 - "Very British" - concerts in Bad Zwesten and Bad Liebenstein - including John Rutter : "Mass of the children"
- October 2005 - Concert on the Day of Young Voices - 10 years of the German Choir Youth in the adventure mine "Glück auf!" Sondershausen
- December 2005 - Christmas concert with Deborah Sasson and Erkan Aki in the Alte Oper Erfurt
- March 2006 - Mühlhausen; including Hugo Distler : "Choral Passion"
- April 2006 - Gera; including Hugo Distler: "Choral Passion"
- March 2014 - Kloster Volkenroda : First public appearance of the newly formed State Youth Choir Thuringia, conducted by Nikolaus Müller (Wilhelm Berger, Johannes Brahms , Heinrich Schütz )
- May 2014 - Weimar, Weimarhalle, concert as part of the 9th German Choir Competition: "Klang schichten" - State Youth Choir and Calmus Ensemble Leipzig ( Michael Altenburg , Johann Sebastian Bach , Wilhelm Berger, Andrea Gabrieli , Christoph Göbel , Hans Leo Haßler , Fredo Jung )
- August 2014 - Sondershausen, Thuringian State Music Academy: Workshop concert "Brahms - Berger: Meininger Chortradition" (Wilhelm Berger, Johannes Brahms, Max Reger , Johann Krebs, Johann Sebastian Bach)
- November 2014 - Erfurt, church in the Augustinian monastery: musical evening prayer
- January 2015 - Oppurg Castle : Workshop concert (Wilhelm Berger, Johannes Brahms, Ernst Pepping , Johann Herrmann Schein , Heinrich Schütz, Siegfried Thiele )
- March 2015 - Sondershausen, Thuringian State Music Academy: Workshop concert "God and Man" (Bach, Berger, Mendelssohn Bartholdy , Schütz, Schein, Thiele)
- May 2015 - Altenburg Brothers Church : "Jesus, my joy" (Bach, Berger, Krebs, Mendelssohn, Schein, Schütz)
- June 2015 - Halle, Galgenbergschlucht: Final concert of the International Handel Festival - State Youth Choir with Robert-Franz-Singakademie Halle and Staatskapelle Halle ; Direction: Jan Michael Horstmann (Handel, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Elgar)
- June 2015 - Weimar, WeimarHalle: Day of Music / Ceremony 25 years of the State Music Council of Thuringia - State Youth Choir and State Youth Orchestra of Thuringia
- June 2015 - Sondershausen, Marstall: Summer party 10 years Thuringian State Music Academy - State Youth Choir and Vox Aurumque, conducted by Michael Meents
- August 2015 - Altenburg Castle : Festival concert 25 years Altenburg Music Festival - State Youth Choir and State Youth Orchestra of Thuringia
- November 2015 - Weimar, Herz-Jesu-Kirche and Eisenach, Georgenkirche: "Man and God" (Bach, Berger, Brahms, David, Krebs, Mendelssohn, Pärt , Schein, Thiele)
- January 2016 - Sondershausen, Thuringian State Music Academy: Workshop concert with the Robert-Franz-Singakademie Halle
- February 2016 - Halle, Steintor-Varieté : Concert with the Robert-Franz-Singakademie Halle and the Staatskapelle Halle (Brahms, Berger, Reger)
- August 2016 - CD recording of selected choral music by Wilhelm Berger
- October 2016 / January 2017 / May 2017 - Oppurg Castle, Thuringian State Music Academy Sondershausen and St. Gangolf Church Kohren-Sahlis: Excerpts from the project for the Luther year 2017: “Das Güldene ABC” - settings of the 119th Psalm
- June 2017 - Castle Church Wittenberg , Lower Church St. Georg Bad Frankenhausen and St. Michaelis Zeitz: "The Güldene ABC" - The 119th Psalm . Settings from four centuries - A Pentecost project for the Luther year, direction: Volker Hagemann (Bach, Schütz, Hiller, di Lassus , Schein, Villiers Stanford , Fénelon ,schicht, de Victoria , Walter)
- July 2017 - CD recording of two large male choirs by Wilhelm Berger, with guests from choirs in Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt and Saxony
- July / August 2017 - Church of Our Lady Langewiesen , Bodenstein Castle and Lutherhaus Wittenberg : "The Güldene ABC"
- August 2017 - State Garden Show Apolda : "Park Sounds" - concert day of all five Thuringian youth ensembles
- October 2017 - Thuringian State Music Academy Sondershausen, St. Salvator Church Gera and Wartburg Eisenach : “Lutherisches Jubelgeschrey” - Festival music for the Reformation anniversary, State Youth Choir and Johann Rosenmüller Ensemble (Altenburg, Scheidt, Schein, Schütz, Walter)
- November 2017 - Sondershausen, Haus der Kunst: Final concert as part of the Thuringia regional choir competition
- November 2017 - Augustinian Monastery Erfurt : "The Güldene ABC" - The 119th Psalm. Conclusion of the Reformation anniversary in 2017, at the invitation of Prime Minister Bodo Ramelow
- May 2018 - Reformed Church Leipzig and St. Marienkirche Bad Berka: "Nacht.Gedanken" (Berger, Brahms, Ešenvalds , Mäntyjärvi , Martin , Gottwald , Ravel , Reger, Saint-Saëns , Schumann , Wagner )
- October 2018 - St. Marienkirche Heiligenstadt , Trinitatiskirche Sondershausen and Stadtkirche St. Michael Jena: "Together for a peaceful coexistence" - in memory of the end of the First World War 100 years ago (Berger, Brahms, Esenvalds, Gronostay, Gottwald, Ravel, Reger , Saint-Saens, Schumann, Schönberg, Zimmermann)
- January 2019 - Thuringian State Music Academy Sondershausen: Workshop concert "Choral Symphony and A Capella"
- March 2019 - Days of Choral and Orchestra Music Gotha: Appearance at the “Night of Music” and at the ceremony in the presence of Prime Minister Bodo Ramelow
- June 2019 - Sondershausen, St. Trinitatis Church: Closing concert of the Liszt Biennale 2019, State Youth Choir and State Youth Orchestra Thuringia (Liszt, Gottwald, Schumann, Wagner)
- October 2019 - Altenburg, Brüderkirche: workshop concert (Martin, Gottwald, Schumann, Brahms)
- November 2019 - St. Marienkirche Heiligenstadt and Stadtkirche St. Georg Schmalkalden: "Chor.Orgel.Känge" (Brahms, Bruckner, Martin, Schumann, Wagner, Gottwald)
Wilhelm Berger: Choral Works. Selected choral works A-Cappella for mixed choir, female choirs with piano accompaniment and male choirs. State Youth Choir Thuringia, Alejandro Picó-Leonís (piano), conductor: Nikolaus Müller. Rondeau Production ROP6137 .
- LJC description on the Thuringian State Music Academy website , accessed on June 15, 2020