Rainer Fetting (born December 31, 1949 in Wilhelmshaven ) is a German painter and sculptor . At the end of the 1970s he co-founded and protagonist of the Galerie am Moritzplatz in Berlin, a self-help gallery that was founded by a group of young artists, mainly painters, initially from Karl Horst Hödicke's class at what was then the Berlin University of the Arts, now the university of the arts , and which then became known under the term Neue Wilde , “Junge Wilde” or “Moritzboys”. This group also included, for example, Salomé , Bernd Zimmer and Helmut Middendorf .
After an apprenticeship as a carpenter and an internship as a set designer at the Landesbühne Niedersachsen Nord in Wilhelmshaven, Rainer Fetting studied under Hans Jaenisch at the Berlin University of the Arts from 1972 to 1978 . While still in a master class, he founded the gallery on Moritzplatz in 1977 together with Anne Jud , Helmut Middendorf , Berthold Schepers, Salomé and Bernd Zimmer as an “artist self-help project ”. At this time, Fetting concentrated on Berlin city scenarios, portraits and figuration (large shower, van Gogh and Wall, etc.) and also dealt with the Berlin Wall in brightly colored pictures . In 1980 he took part in the exhibition “Heftige Malerei” in the Haus am Waldsee, Berlin, in 1981 he took part in the New Spirit in Painting show organized by Christos M. Joachimides at the Royal Academy of Arts in London , and in 1982 he took part in Zeitgeist -Exhibition in Berlin's Martin-Gropius-Bau . This was followed by annual solo exhibitions in well-known galleries in Europe and the United States, for example at Bruno Bischofberger, Mary Boone and Anthony d'Offay . At the beginning of 1983 the Musée d'Art Contemporain de Bordeaux showed an exhibition with joint works by Luciano Castelli , Fetting and Salomé , who also performed the concert “Opéra par hasard” (fetting on drums) in Bordeaux and Paris. In 1984 he took part in the exhibition From Here - Two Months of New German Art in Düsseldorf . From 1983 to 1994 Fetting lived temporarily in New York, where he had already spent a year on a DAAD scholarship in 1978 . Thematically, Fetting continued to devote himself to urban motifs, from 1984 Fetting experimented with assemblages made of driftwood , which he mounted on the painting surface and painted over. Since 1986 Fetting also dealt with bronze work . In 2003/2004 he was represented in Obsessive Painting - A Review of the New Wilds . Particular highlights of the last time were the exhibitions in 2008 “Return of the Giants. Rainer Fetting Sculptures ”in the Gerhard-Marcks-Haus in Bremen and“ Manscapes ”in 2010 in the Tübingen Kunsthalle. In 2011 a comprehensive monographic exhibition took place in the Berlinische Galerie. Fetting lives in Berlin and on Sylt.
In addition to expressive, colorful paintings of all genres, Rainer Fetting has created an extensive sculptural work, especially in bronze. The 3.40 meter high and over 500 kilograms heavy Willy Brandt statue in the atrium of the Willy Brandt House in Berlin and the sculpture for the Henri Nannen Prize are among his most famous works. Less known are his photographic works since the 1970s and his artist films. Fetting made a smaller copy of the Berlin Willy Brandt statue for the Willy Brandt Park in Stockholm .
Solo exhibitions (selection)
- 1977: Cityscapes. Gallery at Moritzplatz , Berlin
- 1981: Anthony d'Offay , London; Mary Boone Gallery , New York (with Helmut Middendorf)
- 1986: Museum Folkwang , Essen; Kunsthalle Basel
- 1989: Pintures i Escultures 1978–1988. Center d'Art Santa Mònica, Barcelona Museum
- 1990: Rainer Fetting - paintings and sculptures. Berlin / New York; National Gallery Berlin (East); Weimar City Museum
- 1991: graphics. Albrechtsburg, Meiben
- 1991: Works on paper and painting. Print Studio, Glasgow;
- 1991: Rocca Malatestiana / Galleria Comunale d'Arte, Cesena
- 1992: Schlob Holdenstedt, Kunstverein Uelzen
- 1993: Museo de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires; Museo de Bellas Artes, Santiago de Chile
- 1993: Exposition d'Estampes. ARTCurial, Paris
- 1994: "Neue Wilde from Berlin. The Martin Sanders Collection", Schleswig-Holstein State Museum in the Cismar Monastery
- 1995: 4 × fetting. City gallery in the Elbforum Brunsbüttel
- 1995: Dithmarscher Landesmuseum Meldorf; Richard Haizmann Museum, Niebüll; Sønderjyllands Art Museum, Tønder, Denmark
- 1995: Rainer Fetting and contemporaries - From the Martin Sanders collection. State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg
- 1997: Rainer Fetting - Willy Brandt. Wilhelmshaven art gallery
- 1997: Kastruppgardsamlingen, Kastrup, Denmark
- 1998: Work exhibition. From the Heydt Museum , Wuppertal
- 1998: Rainer Fetting - 30 pictures from Berlin over the past 20 years. Art gallery in the Marienplatz town hall , Munich
- 1999: Rainer Fetting - Self. New Berlin Art Association , Berlin
- 2000: "Men Pictures", Schleswig-Holstein State Museums Foundation, Gottorf Castle, Schleswig
- 2001: “Landscapes”, Kunsthalle, Emden
- 2004: “Los Angeles Surfscapes”, Karl Pfefferle Gallery , Munich
- 2005: Rainer Fetting meets Lovis Corinth. Wilhelmshaven art gallery
- 2007: "Rainer Fetting portrays Helmut Schmidt" (sculptures, pictures, works on paper), Rathausgalerie, Munich
- 2008: Return of the Giants - Rainer Fetting, sculptures. Gerhard Marcks House , Bremen
- 2009: “Return of the Giants - Rainer Fetting Sculptures”, Kunstverein Augsburg eV, Tuscan Column Hall of the Armory, Augsburg
- 2010: "Manscapes" Kunsthalle Tübingen
- 2011: "Rainer Fetting - Berlin" Berlinische Galerie, State Museum for Modern Art, Photography and Architecture, Berlin
- 2014: Rainer Fetting - Wall pieces, Art Museum Ahrenshoop
- 2015: "Rainer Fetting" - Mercedes Benz Gallery, Berlin
- 2020: Rainer Fetting. Here are Lemons , retrospective comprising 130 paintings, bronzes and works on paper, Gottorf Castle , Schleswig-Holstein
- Art Gallery of South Australia , Adelaide, SA
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
- NGV Collection, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
- Ludwig Forum for International Art, Ludwig Collection, Aachen
- Walther Art Museum, Augsburg
- Berlinische Galerie , Berlin
- Hamburger Bahnhof , Museum of the Present, Berlin
- National Gallery Berlin
- City Museum Berlin Foundation
- Federal Chancellery, Berlin
- Art collection of the German Bundestag, Berlin
- Collection in the Willy Brandt House, Berlin
- Foundation House of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany, Bonn
- Gunzenhauser Museum, Chemnitz
- Hessisches Landesmuseum, Darmstadt
- Art gallery in Emden
- Städel Museum Frankfurt / Main
- Art collection Gera
- ZKM I Center for Art and Media, Collection Museum for New Art, Karlsruhe
- Kiel art gallery
- Museum Würth , Künzelsau
- Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts, Munich
- Classic Foundation Weimar
- Wilhelmshaven art gallery
- Museum am Dom, Würzburg
- Cartier Foundation pour l'art contemporain, Paris
- Fund Régional d´Art Contemporain (FRAC Collection) Auvergne
- Vancouver Art Gallery , Vancouver, BC
- Exhibition catalogs, monographs
- Self-portraits 1973–1998. Nicolaische Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1999, ISBN 3-87584-886-1 .
- Images of men. Schleswig-Holstein State Museums Foundation Gottorf Castle, Schleswig, 2000, ISBN 3-88452-791-6 .
- Rainer Fetting - paintings and drawings. with Hermann Wiesler , Gregory Volk, Sibylle Kretschmer, Harenberg, 2000, ISBN 3-611-00424-3 .
- Landscapes. with Achim Sommer, Edition Brau, 2001, ISBN 3-926318-57-0 .
- Models. with a contribution by Daniel Spanke, Ed .: Galerie Peter Borchardt, Hamburg, ISBN 3-9808033-0-9 .
- Rainer Fetting - Los Angeles Surfscapes. Kerber, 2004, ISBN 3-936646-97-X .
- Rainer Fetting meets Lovis Corinth. Kunsthalle Wilhelmshaven, Kerber, 2005, ISBN 3-938025-38-7 .
- Waters. Kerber, 2007, ISBN 978-3-86678-098-9 .
- Ulrich Ott (Ed.): Helmut Schmidt. Sculptures and pictures by Rainer Fetting. Kerber, Bielefeld / Leipzig 2007, ISBN 978-3-86678-064-4 .
- Return of the giants. Rainer Fetting, sculptures. Gerhard Marcks House, Bremen. Kerber, 2008, ISBN 978-3-86678-231-0 .
- FETTING. With contributions by Arie Hartog and Jan Hoet and an interview by Heinz Stahlhut. Dumont Verlag, Cologne 2009, ISBN 978-3-8321-9203-7 .
- Manscapes. Kunsthalle Tübingen , ed. by Daniel Schreiber, with contributions by Travis Jeppesen and Thomas Wagner. Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, 2010, ISBN 978-3-86560-894-9 . (German / English)
- Rainer Fetting - Berlin. Berlinische Galerie (ed.), With contributions by Klaus Wowereit [greeting], Thomas Köhler, Travis Jeppesen, Guido Fassbender, Heinz Stahlhut and Simone Wiechers. Hirmer Verlag, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-7774-4021-7 .
- Cristian Rathke, Diesja Turkina, Alexander Borovskij: Rainer Fetting and contemporaries from the Martin Sanders collection. Palace Edition, 1995, ISBN 3-930775-12-3 .
- Alice Pfeiffer: Rainer Fetting and Christian Schoeler On the Male Figure. In: Art in America. 08/12/09.
- Viola Rühse: Rainer Fettings Photography. To market the “wild one”. In: ALL-OVER. Magazine for Art and Aesthetics, No. 4, spring 2013.
- Literature by and about Rainer Fetting in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Rainer Fetting in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Rainer Fetting" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Rainer Fetting on kunstaspekte.de
- Rainer Fetting at photography-now.com
- Rainer Fetting on artnet
- Interviews with Rainer Fetting by Asteris Kutulas (1990) and Daniel Völzke ( Memento from April 12, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) (2008)
- FETTING (Dumont Verlag 2009), S. 172nd
- Rainer Fetting biography. Ketterer Kunst, archived from the original on February 13, 2007 ; Retrieved January 10, 2009 .
- Julika Pohle: The young man is glowing, art is maturing , Die Welt, May 20, 2020
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter and sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 31, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wilhelmshaven|