Riccardo Chailly (born February 20, 1953 in Milan ) is an Italian conductor . He has been music director of La Scala in Milan since 2015 . Before that, he was chief conductor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam from 1988 to 2004 and Gewandhauskapellmeister in Leipzig from 2005 to 2016 .
Riccardo Chailly received his basic musical training from his father, the composer Luciano Chailly , before entering the class of Franco Caracciolo at the local conservatory . He took master classes with Piero Guarino in Perugia and Franco Ferrara at the Accademia Musicale Chigiana in Siena.
Chailly made his debut in Milan in 1970. The conductor Claudio Abbado brought the 21-year-old to La Scala as his assistant and second conductor . From 1974 he worked at the world's major opera houses, conducting regularly in Chicago and in 1977 in San Francisco . From 1982 to 1989 he was chief conductor of the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra .
In 1985 he made his debut with the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam , where he was chief conductor from 1988 to 2004. There he conducted the standard repertoire, especially the symphonies by Mahler and Bruckner , but also expanded the repertoire to include contemporary works and Italian operas.
Riccardo Chailly has been chief conductor of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra and general music director of the Leipzig Opera since 2005 . In 2008 he resigned from the post of general music director after differences that had arisen due to the change in leadership at the opera, but at the same time extended his contract as Gewandhauskapellmeister to 2015. In 2013 he extended his contract as Gewandhauskapellmeister to 2020, but ended this contract at short notice with the season 2015/2016. His successor has been Andris Nelsons since the 2017/2018 season .
Since January 2015 he has been music director of La Scala in Milan , succeeding Daniel Barenboim . Here he has conducted Madama Butterfly since 2016 . Since summer 2016, Chailly has been the official successor of Claudio Abbado, who died in 2014, as chief conductor of the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, on August 12, 2016 he organized the opening of the festival with Gustav Mahler's Eighth Symphony , the so-called Symphony of a Thousand .
Riccardo Chailly was married in 1973 to the Argentine-Italian violinist Anahi Carfi, with whom he has a daughter, born in 1974, named Luana. This first marriage ended in divorce after a short time. He has been married to Gabriella Terragni since 1982 in his second marriage.
- 1992/93 Premio Abbiati
- 1998 Knight of the Order of the Dutch Lion
- 1998 Grand Cross of the Italian Order of Merit
- 2003 Antonio Feltrinelli Prize
- 2009 International Mendelssohn Prize in Leipzig (Music Category)
- 2012 ECHO Klassik in the category Conductor of the Year for his album Beethoven: The Symphonies (published by Decca / Universal)
- 2015 Echo Klassik with the Gewandhausorchester in the category Symphonic Recording of the Year - Music of the 19th Century
- DVD: Mahler: Symphony No. 2 , with Christiane Oelze (soprano), Sarah Connolly (mezzo-soprano), the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra , MDR-Rundfunkchor Leipzig , Berliner Rundfunkchor and the GewandhausChor, 2011, Accentus Music
- DVD: Mahler: Symphony No. 4 , with Christina Landshamer (soprano) and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, 2012, Accentus Music
- DVD: Mahler: Symphony No. 5 , with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, 2013, Accentus Music
- DVD: Mahler: Symphony No. 6 , with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, 2013, Accentus Music
- DVD: Mahler: Symphony No. 8 , with Erika Sunnegårdh (soprano), Ricarda Merbeth (soprano), Christiane Oelze (soprano), Lioba Braun (alto), Gerhild Romberger (alto), Stephen Gould (tenor), Dietrich Henschel (baritone ), Georg Zeppenfeld (bass), the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra , MDR-Rundfunkchor Leipzig , Leipzig Opera Choir, GewandhausChor, Thomanerchor Leipzig, and the Gewandhaus Children's Choir , 2011, Accentus Music
- DVD: Mahler: Symphony No. 9 , with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, 2014, Accentus Music
- The secret is in the silence. Conversations about music with Enrico Girardi . Henschel, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-89487-944-0 .
- Works by and about Riccardo Chailly in the catalog of the German National Library
- Official site of Riccardo Chailly at Decca Records
- Riccardo Chailly at Allmusic (English)
- Andris Nelsons is to be the 21st Gewandhaus Kapellmeister. Press release of September 9, 2015, City of Leipzig, Communication Department (PDF; 324 kB), accessed on September 10, 2015.
- Chief conductor Riccardo Chailly. In: Lucerne Festival website.
- Mendelssohn Prize 2009 . Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- Homepage Echo Klassik ( Memento of the original from July 15, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- echoklassik.de - Prize Winners 2015 ( Memento of the original from September 19, 2015 in the web archive archive.today ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved October 18, 2015
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian conductor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 20, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Milan|