Thomas Stelzer (politician)
Thomas Stelzer (born February 21, 1967 in Linz ) is an Austrian politician and has been the incumbent governor of Upper Austria since April 6, 2017 . Stelzer was a member of the Upper Austrian state parliament from 1997 to 2015 . Since April 1, 2017, Stelzer has been the regional party leader of the Upper Austrian People's Party (OÖVP).
education and profession
Thomas Stelzer attended elementary school in Linz-Harbach. In 1985 he passed the Matura at the Kollegium Aloisianum and studied law at the University of Linz until 1990 after high school (Mag. Iur.). During his student days he became a member of the Catholic student association K.Ö.St.V. Severina in the ÖCV . Furthermore, he is an honorary member of the K.Ö.HV Maximiliana Linz in the ÖCV and of the K.Ö.St.V. Frankonia Linz, K.Ö.St.V. Nibelungia 1901 Linz, K.Ö.St.V. Siegfriedia Linz and the K.Ö.St.V. Lamberg Steyr in the MKV . After completing his military service, Stelzer worked from 1990 to 1992 as an employee in the management secretariat of the Raiffeisenlandesbank Upper Austria . After that he was an employee of the club of ÖVP members of the state parliament until December 1997 . Stelzer then worked as a civil servant in the education department of the Office of the Upper Austrian Provincial Government until 2001.
From 1986 Stelzer worked in the Young ÖVP Upper Austria and from 1989 was a member of the State Party Board of the Young ÖVP. From 1992 to 2001 Stelzer acted as regional chairman of the young ÖVP. Stelzer held his first political mandate between October 24, 1991 and November 5, 1997 in the Linz municipal council. Since October 31, 1997, he has represented the ÖVP in the Upper Austrian state parliament, and since October 18, 2001, Stelzer has been a member of the Linz municipal council again, where he was the club chairman of the ÖVP municipal council from October 23, 2003 to January 12, 2009.
Stelzer had been regional party secretary since 2001 and managing director of ÖVP Upper Austria since October 23, 2003, before he was appointed club chairman of the ÖVP state parliament club on January 12, 2009. He held this position until October 22, 2015.
From October 23, 2015 to April 6, 2017 he was Deputy Governor and State Councilor for Education, Youth, Research and Personnel in the Pühringer V state government . He handed over the women's agendas to SPÖ regional councilor Birgit Gerstorfer on July 8, 2016 .
After the announcement of the resignation of Governor Josef Pühringer , Stelzer was unanimously nominated both as designated provincial party leader of the Upper Austrian People's Party (OÖVP) and as governor of Upper Austria. At the OÖVP state party conference on April 1, 2017, he was elected state party chairman with 99.9 percent of the vote. The Upper Austrian Landtag elected Stelzer on April 6, 2017 with 92.7 percent of the votes as the successor to Governor Pühringer. On April 7, 2017, Stelzer was officially sworn in as Governor of Upper Austria by Federal President Alexander Van der Bellen .
On July 1, 2017, he was elected Federal Deputy Party Chairman of the ÖVP.
Under Stelzer as governor, the ÖVP / FPÖ coalition in Upper Austria was the first federal state to adopt a debt brake in July 2017 . Exceptions to the rule apply in the event of natural disasters and economic crises. The debt brake will initially only apply until the 2019 budget, as the budget rules of the federal states will then be changed. Accordingly, a zero deficit was budgeted for the 2018 state budget. There should be no further new borrowing and for the first time since 2002 liabilities should be able to be repaid. In order to achieve the zero deficit, a. announced a ten percent savings plan in various departments and the increase in some fees.
In an open letter from the Mauthausen Committee Austria , signed by 91 personalities, including Nobel Prize winners in literature and concentration camp survivors, Thomas Stelzer was asked in January 2019 to effectively fight right-wing extremist crimes and other right-wing extremist activities in Upper Austria in his role as governor. Among other things, it was criticized that Stelzer took over the protection of honor for a ball which is organized by German national fraternities.
honors and awards
- 2017: Admission to the Brotherhood of Santa Maria dell'Anima ("Anima Brotherhood")
- 2018: Knight of the Order of St. George
Thomas Stelzer is married and has two children.
- Thomas Stelzer on the website of the Province of Upper Austria
- Biography of Thomas Stelzer on the server of the federal state of Upper Austria .
- Thomas Stelzer on the website of the Austrian Parliament
- Thomas Stelzer on meineabektiven.at
- Province of Upper Austria. State government. In: land-oberoesterreich.gv.at. State of Upper Austria , accessed on February 4, 2019 .
- 99.9 percent: Stelzer new state party leader. In: ooe. ORF.at . Retrieved April 1, 2017 .
- SPÖ regional chief Gerstorfer is also a women’s regional councilor. In: The Standard . July 6, 2016, accessed July 6, 2016.
- Province of Upper Austria. In: ooe.gv.at. Retrieved February 28, 2017 .
- Upper Austria: Stelzer becomes governor with 92.7 percent. In: The Standard. April 6, 2017. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- New LH Thomas Stelzer sworn in. In: ooe.ORF.at. Retrieved April 7, 2017 .
- Kurier: Kurz elected party chairman with 98.7 percent. In: kurier.at. July 1, 2017, accessed July 2, 2017.
- Federal Party Congress 2 - The résumés of the people standing for election at the Federal Party Congress. OTS notification dated July 1, 2017, accessed July 2, 2017.
- Upper Austria is putting on the debt brake. In: The press . May 29, 2017. Retrieved November 8, 2017 .
- State budget: "Zero debt" with strict austerity and new fees. In: Upper Austrian news . October 24, 2017. Retrieved November 8, 2017 .
- Upper Austria wants to reduce debt by 67 million euros next year. In: The press. November 7, 2017. Retrieved November 9, 2017 .
- Mauthausen Committee Austria: Open letter: For an effective fight against right-wing extremism in Upper Austria. (PDF; 129 kB) In: mkoe.at. Mauthausen Committee Austria, January 2019, accessed on February 3, 2019 .
- Peter Münch: “Highly questionable handling” . Celebrities criticize the government of Upper Austria in an open letter: They are doing too little against the increasing number of right-wing extremist crimes. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung . January 29, 2019 ( sueddeutsche.de [accessed February 3, 2019]).
- See also right-wing extremist ball: criticism of the participation of Upper Austria's governor. The SPÖ and the Greens call on Thomas Stelzer to distance himself from the Burschenbundball. In: derStandard.at. Retrieved February 3, 2019 (Austrian German).
- Upper Austria's father is a knight. In: pressreader.com, June 9, 2018, accessed June 9, 2018.
- Mag. Thomas Stelzer (ÖVP). In: [ land-oberoesterreich.gv.at Land Oberösterreich], accessed on April 11, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian politician (ÖVP), governor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 21, 1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Linz|