University of California, Santa Cruz
The University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC), was founded in 1965 and is part of the University of California (UC), a system of state universities in the US state of California . The university's campus is located northwest of the northern California city of Santa Cruz and is approximately 800 acres.
In the fall semester of 2011, around 17,900 students were enrolled. The university is divided into 10 colleges , where 90 different courses, including 30 graduate courses, can be studied in the fields of arts, human sciences, social sciences, biology & physics and engineering.
In 2011, the college's budget was $ 502.7 million.
- Cowell College (founded in 1965)
- Adlai E. Stevenson College (founded in 1966)
- Crown College (founded in 1967)
- Merrill College (founded in 1968)
- Benjamin F. Porter College (founded in 1969)
- Kresge College (founded in 1971)
- Oakes College (founded in 1972)
- College 8 (founded in 1972)
- College 9 (founded in 2000)
- College 10 (founded in 2002)
- Angela Davis - civil rights activist, sociologist and writer
- Frank Drake - astronomer and astrophysicist
- Donna Haraway - Natural Science Historian
- David A. Huffman - Computer scientist, inventor of Huffman coding
- Tom Lehrer - mathematician, satirist and singer
- Harry Noller - molecular biologist
- Geoffrey Pullum - linguist
- Hayden White - historian and literary scholar
Humanities, arts and culture
- Wendy Brown (* 1955) - political scientist and feminist at the University of California, Berkeley
- Bell Hooks (* 1952) - PhD 1983 - feminist and social critic
- Miranda July (* 1974) - performer and filmmaker (without degree)
- Nathalie Magnan (1956-2016) - French media scholar, media artist and LGBT activist
- Kent Nagano (* 1951) - BA 1974 - Conductor of the Los Angeles Opera and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra
Media and entertainment
- Jello Biafra * - singer (without degree)
- Richard Harris - National Public Radio science reporter
- Bradley Nowell * - singer of the band Sublime (without degree)
- Rebecca Romijn * - supermodel, actress (without degree)
- Gillian Welch , BA 1990 - singer
- Richard Bandler * - Founder of Neuro Linguistic Programming ( NLP ) (without degree)
- Geoffrey Marcy , PhD 1982 - Professor of Astronomy at UC Berkeley and planet explorer
- Marc Okrand , BA 1972 - Linguist, inventor of the Klingon language
- Official website (English)
- Facts & Figures. University of California, Santa Cruz, accessed October 26, 2012 .
- The UC Santa Cruz Budget - A Bird's Eye View. (PDF; 4.2 MB) (No longer available online.) University of California, Santa Cruz, November 2011, p. 27 , archived from the original on November 3, 2012 ; accessed on October 26, 2012 (English). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.