Aurelio Bacciarini grew up in modest circumstances. He studied at the boys' seminary in Barlassina near Milan and at the seminaries in Lugano , Milan and Monza . He completed his studies with a doctorate in theology .
In 1897 he was ordained a priest. From 1897 to 1903 he was pastor in Arzo, and then from 1903 to 1906 spiritual at the boys' seminary in Pollegio. In 1906 Stefano Aurelio Bacciarini joined the Congregation of the Servi della Carità ( Congregatio Servorum a Caritate / Servants of Love). In 1912 he became pastor of S. Giuseppe al Trionfale in Rome. During the 1915 earthquake in Abruzzo, he brought help to the victims at his own risk. At the death of Don Luigi Guanella on October 24, 1915, he became general head of his congregation
On January 12, 1917 he was appointed Apostolic Administrator of Ticino and Titular Bishop of Daulia . The episcopal ordination took place on January 21, 1917 in Rome. 1921-1924 he was superior of the Servi della Carità.
Despite his poor health, thanks to his great self-discipline, he brought about the religious renewal of his diocese, emphasizing the fulfillment of religious duties and the traditional life of faith. In the spirit of Catholic Action, he promoted the formation of clubs and Catholic trade unions. In 1926 he founded the daily newspaper Giornale del Popolo . Aurelio Bacciarini placed Ticino under the protection of the Madonna del Sasso. Bishop Bacciarini was chairman of the Swiss Bishops' Conference (SBK) from 1932 to 1933 .
His beatification process was initiated as early as 1947, but it was not completed. The alleged miraculous healing of a person living in Lugano prompted the Ticino Bishop Pier Giacomo Grampa to reactivate the diocesan procedure for the beatification process on March 27, 2006. On May 22, 2006, the dossier was handed over to postulator Mario Carrera, who will represent the motion before the Vatican Congregation for the Causes of the Beatification .
- Alberto Lepori, Fabrizio Panzera (ed.): Uomini nostri. Trenta biography di uomini politici. Armando Dadò Editore, Locarno 1989, p. 15.
- Pierre Surchat: Aurelio Bacciarini. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland . November 12, 2001. Retrieved December 29, 2019 .
- Celestino Trezzini : Aurelio Bacciarini. In: Historical-Biographical Lexicon of Switzerland. Attinger, Neuenburg 1921, p. 511 (PDF digitized version ), accessed on December 29, 2019.
- Entry on Aurelio Bacciarini on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on April 6, 2019.
- Publications by and about Aurelio Bacciarini in the Helveticat catalog of the Swiss National Library
Bishop of Lugano
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bacciarini, Stefano Aurelio (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss religious and apostolic administrator in what was later to become the diocese of Lugano, titular bishop of Daulia|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 8, 1873|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lavertezzo|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 27, 1935|
|Place of death||Sorengo|