Evangelical Church (Kyllburg)
The Evangelical Church Kyllburg in Kyllburg is one of four churches and several prayer rooms of the Evangelical Parish Bitburg of the Rhenish Regional Church in the parish of Trier. It was built primarily for Protestant tourists from the Wilhelmine era.
After the Eifel was administered by Prussia with the Congress of Vienna , railway workers and the first tourists from Prussia came to the Eifel. In order to be able to provide pastoral care to the numerous Protestant holiday guests at the turn of the 20th century and to enable them to attend church services on Sundays, a collection fund was founded in 1891. This enabled the construction of a small church on the slope between the village and the Marian column in 1900. After the laying of the foundation stone on May 6th, the chapel was inaugurated on September 16, 1900 - with difficulties because the key turned out to be wrong. Unexpectedly, a military band played for the inauguration because a maneuver was taking place nearby. The church made of unplastered red sandstone was built according to plans by the Trier architect Reinhold Wirtz , which he built in 1898 just a few months before his death. It has a slender tower with an octagonal upper part and a flat-roofed nave with an entrance towards the village. Opposite is the roughly square cross-rib vaulted choir .
In July 1917 the bells were confiscated and made into military equipment.
Due to the decline in tourism, the loss of the central location function and the associated loss of residents in Kyllburg, there is only a service about once a month.
- Bernd Altmann, Hans Caspary: Bitburg-Prüm district. City of Bitburg, Verbandsgemeinden Bitburg-Land and Irrel (= cultural monuments in Rhineland-Palatinate. Monument topography Federal Republic of Germany . Volume 9.2 ). Wernersche Verlagsgesellschaft, Worms 1997, ISBN 3-88462-132-7 , p. 78 .
- Michael Berens : The churches and chapels of the Bitburger Land. Contributions to the history of the Bitburger Land. Special issue 8/9 1992.
- Evangelical Church Community Bitburg: Festschrift 100 years Evangelical Church Kyllburg, 125 years Evangelical Church Bitburg. Bitburg 2000.
- History of the Bitburg community on the Trier Church District website
- Internet offer of the Evangelical Church Community Bitburg
- Entry on Evangelical Church in the database of cultural assets in the Trier region ; accessed on January 30, 2016.
- Hans Ulrich Ehinger: History of the Evangelical Church Community in Bitburg. Retrieved on January 30, 2016 (Internet offer of the Bitburg parish).
- Hans Hermann Reck (arrangement): Bitburg-Prüm district. Verbandsgemeinden Kyllburg and Speicher (= cultural monuments in Rhineland-Palatinate. Monument topography Federal Republic of Germany . Volume 9.1 ). Wernersche Verlagsgesellschaft, Worms 1991, ISBN 3-88462-081-9 , p. 92 .