Frank-Lothar Kroll (born December 17, 1959 in Aachen ) is a German modern historian . He is professor for European history of the 19th and 20th centuries at the Technical University of Chemnitz . He is considered conservative.
Kroll studied history , art history, German literature, philosophy and religious studies at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn and the University of Cologne (Magister). During his studies he became a member of the Bonn Wingolf . He wrote his master's thesis, The ornament in the art theory of the 19th century (book version 1987) with the art historian Heinrich Lützeler , a student of Max Scheler . In the same year Kroll published the Festschrift for Heinrich Lützeler on his 85th birthday and in 2008 wrote a biographical sketch that deals with Lützeler's resistance to National Socialism.
Kroll was in 1987 when Andreas Gruber Hill in professional Medieval and Modern History in Cologne with the work of Friedrich Wilhelm IV. And the political thinking of German Romanticism to Dr. phil. did his doctorate and habilitation in 1995 at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg with the font Utopia as ideology. Historical thinking and political action in the Third Reich . The work was assessed by Gregor Schöllgen , Werner Goez , Helmut Altrichter and Hans-Ulrich Thamer . He received the Venia Legendi for Modern and Contemporary History and became a private lecturer. Then he was a substitute professor for modern and contemporary history at the Technical University of Dresden and in Erlangen. Since 2004 Kroll has held the professorship for European history of the 19th and 20th centuries at the Philosophical Faculty of the Technical University of Chemnitz .
The main focus of Kroll's academic work is the history of Prussia , comparative German regional history (Prussia, Saxony , Hesse ) and the history of National Socialism . Kroll has been a full member of the Prussian Historical Commission since 1999 and its acting chairman since 2006. On behalf of the commission, he publishes, together with Wolfgang Neugebauer , the journal Research on Brandenburg and Prussian History (FBPG). In the course of his teaching activity in Chemnitz, Kroll expanded his research focus to include the history of England and the history of German-Russian relations. In 2011 he was elected chairman of the Prince Albert Society - an international association based in Coburg , which aims to research German-English relations from a historical and cultural perspective. Since then, Kroll has published the Society's conference volumes ( Prince Albert Studies ) and its research results ( Prince Albert Research ). Since 2009, Kroll has been committed to expanding the TU Chemnitz's relations with Russia . He was the initiator of the cooperation agreement between the University of Chemnitz and the Voronezh State University .
Kroll is a member of the scientific advisory group of the Federal Foundation Flight, Expulsion, Reconciliation and serves as a member of the advisory board of renowned historical research institutions such as the Institute for Contemporary History (IfZ) in Munich and the German Historical Institute in Warsaw . He is a board member of the Ranke Society and a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Forschungsgemeinschaft 20. Juli eV, an association of the descendants of Hitler assassins, which aims to bring the concerns of resistance against National Socialism into the current social discourse. Until 2011, Kroll was a member of the board of trustees of the Wolf-Erich-Kellner Memorial Foundation .
Kroll is the author of 14 books so far, around 150 articles and editor of 54 edited volumes. From 1990 to 2006 he was co-editor of the magazine for aesthetics and general art history . Since 2000 he has been publishing the series Literary Landscapes on behalf of the Cultural Foundation for German Expellees . Together with his Chemnitz colleague Matthias Niedobitek , Kroll established the Chemnitz European Studies , which have been co- edited since 2005.
In 2010 and 2012 he gave the lectures Conservatism in Germany after 1945 - Problems and Perspectives and Frederick the Great in German and European Historical Culture as part of events organized by the Institute for State Politics (IfS) . The IfS is considered a think tank for the New Right . Then several members of the Prince Albert Society announced their departure. Kroll himself stated that he was "too naive". Both of Kroll's lectures were presented before and afterwards at other institutions. The content of both texts can be viewed in print. Two further lectures from 2001 on the 300th anniversary of the Prussian rebellion and on the Conservative Revolution were repeated elsewhere and appeared in print.
On September 20 and 21, 2012 in Moscow Kroll took part in a conference co-organized by the Russian nationalist and neo- Eurasianist Alexander Dugin, “Conservatism in Russia and Germany. Trends - Problems - Perspectives ”.
Kroll came under fire in 2013 because he had assessed a dissertation submitted by Sebastian Maaß as good (cum laude). The work was later withdrawn due to right-wing apologetics .
- The ornament in art theory of the 19th century (= studies on art history , volume 42). Olms, Hildesheim [u. a.] 1987, ISBN 3-487-07836-8 .
- Friedrich Wilhelm IV. And the state thinking of the German romanticism (= dissertation, University of Cologne, 1987 / individual publications of the Historical Commission in Berlin , volume 72). Colloquium-Verlag, Berlin 1990, ISBN 3-7678-0778-5 .
- Utopia as an ideology. Historical thinking and acting in the Third Reich (= Habilitation, University of Erlangen, 1995). Schöningh, Paderborn [a. a.] 1998, ISBN 3-506-74827-0 .
- Spiritual Prussia. On the history of ideas of a state . Schöningh, Paderborn [a. a.] 2001, ISBN 3-506-74829-7 .
- Prussian facets (= series of publications by the Prussian Institute , issue 11). Prussia Institute, Remscheid 2002, ISBN 3-933421-04-7 .
- Culture, education and science in the 20th century (= Encyclopedia of German History , Volume 65). Oldenbourg, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-486-55002-0 .
- History of Hesse (= Beck'sche Reihe , 2607). Beck, Munich 2006, ISBN 978-3-406-53606-9 .
- Hesse. A strong story , Theiss, Stuttgart 2006, ISBN 978-3-8062-2004-9 .
- The Hohenzollern (= Beck'sche series , 2426). Beck, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-406-53626-7 .
- Intellectual resistance against National Socialism. Heinrich Lützeler in the Third Reich (= scientific treatises and speeches on philosophy, politics and intellectual history , volume 51). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-428-12822-8 .
- History with political intent. Hans-Joachim Schoeps and Prussia (= scientific treatises and speeches on philosophy, politics and intellectual history , volume 61). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-428-13434-2 .
- Rousseau in Prussia and Russia. The history of its impact in the 18th century . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-428-14033-6 .
- Birth of modernity. Politics, society and culture before the First World War (= German history in the 20th century , Volume 1 / series of publications by the Federal Agency for Political Education , Volume 1340). Be.bra Verlag, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-89809-401-6 .
- History of Saxony (= CH Beck Wissen , Volume 2613). CH Beck, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-406-60524-6 .
- Paths to art and to people. Festschrift for Heinrich Lützeler on his 85th birthday . Bouvier, Bonn 1987, ISBN 3-416-02010-3 .
- New ways of the history of ideas. Festschrift for Kurt Kluxen on his 85th birthday . Schöningh, Paderborn / Munich / Vienna / Zurich 1996, ISBN 3-506-74826-2 .
- Flight and displacement in literature after 1945 . Gebrüder Mann, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-7861-1968-6 .
- Silesia. Literary reflections in the work of the poets (= literary landscapes , volume 1). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-428-10066-2 .
- Bohemia. Diversity and unity of a literary province (= literary landscapes , volume 2). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-428-10127-8 .
- German authors from the East as opponents and victims of National Socialism. Contributions to the problem of resistance (= literary landscapes , volume 3). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-428-10293-2 .
- East Prussia. Facets of a literary landscape (= literary landscapes , volume 4). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-428-10476-5 .
- Power or culture state? Prussia without a legend . Berlin Verlag Arno Spitz, Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-8305-0267-2 (together with Bernd Heidenreich ).
- The totalitarian experience. German literature and the Third Reich (= literary landscapes , volume 5). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-428-11277-6 .
- Kurt Kluxen: England in Europe. Studies on British history and the history of political ideas in modern times (= historical research , volume 77). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-428-10599-0 .
- Theodor Fontane - poet of German unity . BWV, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-8305-0295-8 (together with Bernd Heidenreich).
- The rulers of Saxony. Margraves, electors, kings 1089–1918 . Beck, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-406-52206-8 .
- The cropped alternative. Conservatism in Germany after 1945 (= studies and texts for the study of conservatism , volume 6). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-428-11781-6 .
- European Dimensions of German Baltic Literature (= Literary Landscapes , Volume 6). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-428-11761-1 .
- Bismarck and the Germans . BWV, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-8305-0939-1 (together with Hans-Christof Kraus and Bernd Heidenreich).
- Italy and Prussia. Dialogue of the Historiographies (= series of the Villa Vigoni , Volume 18). Niemeyer, Tübingen 2005, ISBN 3-484-67018-5 (together with Christiane Liermann and Gustavo Corni ).
- Expulsion and the protection of minorities in Europe (= Chemnitz European Studies , Volume 1). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-428-11833-2 (together with Matthias Niedobitek ).
- Election and coronation . Societäts Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2006, ISBN 978-3-7973-0945-7 (together with Bernd Heidenreich).
- Prussia's ruler. From the first Hohenzollern to Wilhelm II. (= Beck'sche Reihe , 1683) 2nd edition, Beck, Munich 2009, ISBN 978-3-406-54129-2 .
- Europe's lost and regained center. The end of the Old Kingdom and the emergence of the nationality problem in eastern Central Europe (= Chemnitz European Studies , Volume 11). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-428-13314-7 (together with Hendrik Thoß ).
- Writer and Resistance. Facets and problems of "inner emigration" . Wallstein-Verlag, Göttingen 2012, ISBN 978-3-8353-1042-1 (together with Rüdiger von Voss ).
- German Travels to England. 1550–1900 (= Prince Albert Studies , Volume 30). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-428-14447-1 (together with Martin Munke ).
- Saxony and Bohemia. Perspectives of their historical interdependence (= Chemnitz European Studies , Volume 16). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-428-13963-7 (together with Martin Munke and Miloš Řezník ).
- The trip to Russia. Perceptions and experience reports from five centuries (= Chemnitz European Studies , Volume 17). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-428-14026-8 (together with Martin Munke).
- Ideology and crime. Communism and National Socialism in comparison . Fink, Paderborn 2014, ISBN 978-3-7705-5639-7 (together with Barbara Zehnpfennig ).
Editions / other (selection)
- Adenauer and the High Commissioners 1949–1951 . Edited by Frank-Lothar Kroll and Manfred Nebelin . (= Files on the foreign policy of the Federal Republic of Germany , Volume 1) Oldenbourg, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-486-55191-4 .
- Adenauer and the High Commissioners 1952 . Edited by Frank-Lothar Kroll and Manfred Nebelin. (= Files on the foreign policy of the Federal Republic of Germany , Volume 2) Oldenbourg, Munich 1990, ISBN 3-486-55201-5 .
- Friedrich Wilhelm IV. The Queen of Borneo. A novel . Edited by Frank-Lothar Kroll. Nicolai, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-87584-638-9 .
- Heinrich von Brentano. A trailblazer for European integration . Oldenbourg, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-486-56820-5 (editor Roland Koch ).
- Werner Bergengruen: The existence of a writer in the dictatorship. Records and reflections on politics, history and culture 1940–1963 . Edited by Frank-Lothar Kroll, Luise Hackelsberger and Sylvia Taschka. (= Biographical Sources for Contemporary History , Volume 22) Oldenbourg, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-486-20023-2 .
- Werner Schuder (Ed.): Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar . Volume 3, 18th edition, KG Saur, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-598-23603-4 , p. 1737.
- Literature by and about Frank-Lothar Kroll in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Frank-Lothar Kroll in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Frank-Lothar Kroll" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Short biography and reviews of works by Frank-Lothar Kroll at perlentaucher.de
- Professorship for European History of the 19th and 20th Centuries at the TU Chemnitz
- ↑ Frank-Lothar Kroll (ed.): Paths to art and to people. Festschrift for Heinrich Lützeler on his 85th birthday . Bouvier, Bonn 1987.
- ↑ Frank-Lothar Kroll: Intellectual resistance against National Socialism. Heinrich Lützeler in the Third Reich . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2010.
- ^ Frank-Lothar Kroll: Utopia as Ideology. Historical thinking and historical action in the Third Reich . Paderborn 1998, p. 9.
- ↑ Press release of the TU Chemnitz.
- ↑ Press release of the TU Chemnitz.
- ↑ Press release of the TU Chemnitz.
- ^ Archive link ( Memento from August 26, 2012 in the Internet Archive ).
- ^ Website of the DHI Warsaw.
- ↑ Archive link ( Memento from April 15, 2015 in the Internet Archive ).
- ↑ Press release of the TU Chemnitz.
- ^ Rift at the Prince Albert Society. www.np-coburg.de, November 13, 2015.
- ↑ Hans Zehetmaier, Philipp W. Hildmann (ed.): The future needs conservatives. Herder, Freiburg / Basel / Vienna 2009, ISBN 978-3-451-30295-4 , pp. 12-38; Etienne François, Hagen Schulze (ed.): German places of memory, volume 3. CH Beck, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-406-56896-1 , pp. 620–635, 735–736.
- ↑ See perspectives. Journal for German-Scandinavian Exchange (2003), no. 3, pp. 13–30; Church contemporary history. International semi-annual journal for theology and history 11 (1998), no. 2, pp. 339–354.
- ↑ Jens Eumann: Right-wing extremist doctoral thesis in Chemnitz overturned . In: Freie Presse of July 12, 2013, accessed on April 26, 2014.
- ↑ The book was written on Brentano's 100th birthday. Kroll wrote Chapter II ('a biographical portrait') and selected documents and pictures published in the book.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th December 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aachen|