|Data on the structure|
|Data on the reservoir|
|Altitude (at congestion destination )|
|Water surface||23 hectares|
|Reservoir length||1.3 km|
|Reservoir width||230 m|
The Hahnenkammsee is a reservoir in the Hahnenkamm , a ridge of the Franconian Alb low mountain range , in the area of the Heidenheim market in the Weissenburg-Gunzenhausen district in Central Franconia .
The Hahnenkammsee was the first body of water in the Franconian Lake District, created by the construction of reservoirs , whose second smallest reservoir after Lake Dennenloher it is today. Its construction was intended to compensate for the retention areas lost in the course of land consolidation , and it was also intended to promote tourism. Unlike the larger lakes in the area, such as Brombachsee and Altmühlsee , it does not serve to transfer water naturally flowing into the Danube into the Regnitz and Main rivers . The Hahnenkammsee was officially inaugurated on July 1, 1977. In 2012, the lake was extensively renovated from an ecological point of view. The highest water level ever measured was 519 centimeters on August 23, 2005. At that time the lake overflowed and a tidal wave flooded the villages of Ursheim and Laub .
Location and nature
The lakeshore is about one kilometer southwest of the center of Hechlingen am See in the Rohrach valley, which runs roughly south here, between Heidenheim in the north and Polsingen in the south. The lake extends about 1,300 meters from north-northeast to south-southwest and has a water surface of 23 hectares at a depth of up to 4.5 meters. The Rohrach flows through it and, in addition to the smaller Egelseegraben at the upper end of the lake, takes on a few short slope tributaries. State road 2384 runs from Heidenheim to Polsingen on the east side of the lake ; State road 2216 passes not far to the north . The Frankenweg hiking trail leads along the west bank , on this side there is also a bathing beach with associated facilities, a little north of the lake a campsite and sports fields . Since the Altmühlsee and Kleines Brombachsee were flooded , the Hahnenkammsee has been less frequented by tourists and is therefore of interest to anglers and hikers. Fish species that appear in the lake include pike , catfish , pikeperch , carp , trout , grass fish and tench . A dam divides the lake in the north. A reed belt here offers waterfowl a favorable breeding area . Beavers clearly left their bite marks on the vegetation on the eastern shore of the lake (as of spring 2014). The winter water level of the lake is 467 meters above sea level (damming takes place from October 16), the summer water level is 468 meters above sea level (damming takes place from March 1).
- Location of the Hahnenkammsee on the BayernAtlas
- Franconian Lake District Tourism Association
- Hechlingen am See
- Hahnenkammsee / Rohrach gauge
- Hahnenkammsee: The Hahnenkammsee - The insider tip for those seeking relaxation , Markt Heidenheim, accessed on April 4, 2015
- Franconian Lake District, Hahnenkammsee (accessed on April 13, 2014)
- Land under for protective measures , in: Augsburger Allgemeine . Published on May 29, 2013, accessed April 4, 2015
- Topographical Maps , BayernAtlas , Bavarian Surveying Administration
- fanggebiete.de , accessed on April 4, 2015
- Gauge Hahnenkammsee / Rohrach ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.