Paul Wühr was born the son of a baker. After attending the Wittelsbacher Gymnasium in Munich, he completed training as a primary school teacher. From 1949 to 1983 he worked as a teacher at an elementary school in Graefelfing . In 1973, together with Martin Gregor-Dellin , Jürgen Kolbe , Michael Krüger , Fritz Arnold, Inge Poppe-Wühr , Christoph Buggert , Günter Herburger , Tankred Dorst and Peter Laemmle, he founded the first cooperatively organized author's bookstore in Munich .
Wühr, who began writing in his youth, had been working on an extensive work since the late 1940s that made him an experimental author of contemporary German-language literature. After two children's book publications in the early 1960s, he first reached a broader public with radio plays for WDR . While Wühr in the 1970s sensation with his original sound -Hörspielen excited, he wrote afterwards mainly due to continue sprachreflexiven and experimental Großpoemen and cycles of poems.
Wühr was the author of novels , radio plays , prose poems and poetry , whereby the boundaries between the genres are fluid in view of the author's often collage-like technique: “The collage principle that he used in these radio plays , i.e. the interweaving of everyday phrases, chunks of dialect and Fragments from high literature should also be decisive for his lyrical works and the pseudo-theoretical -poetic texts that respond to them. ”In his book Gegenmünchen (1970) , which was then scandalized as an alleged insult to the city of Munich , Wühr expanded his textual collage technique around the element of the (geo) graphic and created ten different city tours through and around the centers of his word city from "formalized poems, alienated city plans, timeless-poetic and daily political word / building material."
Since 1978, Wühr has been working on a major project entitled Der Wirre Zopf . Despite all the recognition from literary criticism and numerous awards, Wühr was considered one of the great outsiders of German literature who largely refused to enter the literary scene. "At his desk he took part in a big conversation that was conducted across all borders, including and especially across the border between the living and the dead."
Awards and honors
- 1972: Radio play award of the war blind
- 1976: Ludwig Thoma Medal
- 1977: Literature Prize of the City of Munich
- 1984: Literature Prize of the City of Bremen
- 1989: Prize from the SWF literary magazine
- 1990: Petrarca Prize
- 1990: Ernst Meister Prize for Poetry
- 1997: Great Literature Prize of the Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts
- 2001: F. C. Weiskopf Prize from the Berlin Academy of the Arts
- 2002: Hans Erich Nossack Prize
- 2003: Honorary doctorate from Bielefeld University
- 2007: Ernst Jandl Prize for Poetry
- 2014: Heimrad Bäcker Prize
- with Walter Habdank : Little Peregrino. 1960
- with Lilo Fromm : Basili has a secret. 1964
- Gegenmünchen. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1970.
- This is how one of us speaks. An original text book. Hanser Verlag, Munich 1973, ISBN 3-446-11724-5 .
- Prize song. Radio play from collected voices. Reclam, Stuttgart 1974, ISBN 3-15-009749-5 .
- Hello to you mothers, you fathers, you daughters, you sons. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1976, ISBN 3-446-12271-0 .
- Speech. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1979, ISBN 3-446-12723-2 .
- The wrong book. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1983, ISBN 3-446-13846-3 .
- It was not like that. Verlag Klaus G. Renner, Munich 1987, ISBN 3-921499-94-1 .
- The lazy rope. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1987, ISBN 3-446-15007-2 .
- Legend. Verlag Klaus G. Renner, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-921499-98-4 .
- Poems. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1990, ISBN 3-446-16042-6 .
- If. Verlag Klaus G. Renner, Munich 1991, ISBN 3-927480-14-2 .
- with Lucas Cejpek: When you hear me talk like that. Literaturverlag Droschl, Graz 1993, ISBN 3-85420-351-9 .
- Air strokes. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-446-17850-3 .
- Whether the Magus in the north. Verlag Klaus G. Renner, Munich 1995, ISBN 3-927480-33-9 .
- Salve res publica poetica. Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-446-19023-6 .
- with Hans Baschang : dance script. Edited by Matthias Kussmann . 2000.
- Venus in the poodle. Hanser Verlag, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-446-19855-5 .
- Bodily. Rimbaud Verlag, Aachen 2001, ISBN 3-89086-724-3 .
- The laugh of a wrong man. Kieser Verlag, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-935456-04-2 .
- with Lucas Cejpek: What I've still forgotten. Literaturverlag Droschl, Graz 2002, ISBN 3-85420-594-5 .
- Il Corpo e la Parola. A cura di Riccarda Novello. Crocetti Editore, Milano 2002, ISBN 88-8306-078-4 .
- On and for. Poems. Hanser Verlag, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-446-20473-3 .
- Lady god. Hanser Verlag, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-446-20820-9 .
- To the lady God. Literaturverlag Droschl, Graz 2009, ISBN 978-3-85420-759-7 .
- The experiment , directed by Oswald Döpke , WDR 1963.
- Who can tell me who Sheila is? Director: Oswald Döpke, WDR 1964.
- The bill , directed by Otto Kurth , WDR 1964.
- God's name is Simon Cumascach , directed by Günther Sauer , WDR 1965.
- Leaving the wedding (radio story on the Eisenhans Variation) , directed by Dieter Hasselblatt , DLF 1966.
- When Florich speaks to Schachter , directed by Günther Sauer, WDR 1967.
- Lintels , directed by Friedhelm Ortmann , WDR 1968.
- Prize song , director: the author, composition: Enno Dugend , BR / NDR 1971.
- Verirrhaus , directed by the author, BR / WDR 1972. As a podcast / download in the BR radio play pool.
- Trip Null , directed by the author, BR 1973.
- Good luck , directed by the author, BR / NDR 1976.
- Soundseeing Metropolis Munich , directed by the author, BR / NDR 1986.
- Thisbe und Thisbe , directed by Peter Fitz , WDR 1987.
- Faschang Garaus , directed by the author, BR / NDR 1988.
- Such a freedom , directed by the author, BR 1972, original broadcast SFB 1992.
- Franz Josef Czernin : Poetry as Knowledge. On the poetry and poetics of Paul Wühr. Droschl, Graz 1999, ISBN 3-85420-509-0 .
- Jörg Drews : “I might get to the core a little more slowly.” About the radio plays by Paul Wühr. In: Katarina Agathos / Herbert Kapfer (Ed.): Radio play. Authors' talks and portraits . Belleville, Munich 2009, ISBN 978-3-936298-68-0 , pp. 89-109.
- Jörg Drews: Praise for the crooked wood. About Paul Wühr. With three contributions by Paul Wühr, edited by Thomas Combrink. Aisthesis, Bielefeld 2016, ISBN 978-3-8498-1174-7 .
- Lutz Hagestedt (Ed.): Paul Wühr. Materials for his work. Brehm, Munich 1987, ISBN 3-921763-94-0 .
- Reinhard Kiefer: Judgment of God - Paul Wühr and theology. Rimbaud, Aachen 2003, ISBN 3-89086-702-2 .
- Sabine Kyora (ed.): The poetic republic. Approaches to Paul Wührs. Salve res publica poetica. Aisthesis, Bielefeld 2002, ISBN 3-89528-356-8 .
- Sabine Kyora (Ed.): Wrong reading. On Paul Wühr's poetry and poetics. Festschrift for the 70th birthday. Aisthesis, Bielefeld 1997, ISBN 3-89528-178-6 .
- Jürgen Nelles: Thinking games of poetry. The radio play maker and writer Paul Wühr (= Bonn works on German literature. Volume 47). Bouvier, Bonn 1991, ISBN 3-416-02351-X (dissertation Uni Bonn 1990/1991).
- Christer Petersen: The postmodern text. Reconstruction of a contemporary aesthetic using the example of Thomas Pynchon, Peter Greenaway and Paul Wühr. Ludwig, Kiel 2003, ISBN 3-933598-67-2 .
- Literature by and about Paul Wühr in the catalog of the German National Library
- Website of the Paul Wühr Society
- Paul Wühr. In: Kürschner's German Literature Calendar 2014/2015: Volume I: AO. Volume II: PZ. , Walter De Gruyter Incorporated, 2014, pp. 1167–1168, ISBN 978-3-11-033720-4 .
- Portrait of the Paul Wühr Society. Retrieved March 28, 2014 .
- portrait at lyrikline. Retrieved March 28, 2014 .
- Pen Germany member list. Retrieved March 28, 2014 .
- portrait at Nanni Cagnone. (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on March 28, 2014 ; accessed on March 28, 2014 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Gottfried Knapp: On the death of Paul Wühr. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung. July 13, 2016, accessed August 1, 2018 .
- Patrick Thor: "Book and Consciousness Coincide" - On the constitution of consciousness in Paul Wühr's 'Gegenmünchen'. In: PhiN. Philology on the Net. No. 54 (2010). Pp. 36-52. Retrieved August 1, 2018 .
- Paul Wühr in the Bavarian literature portal (project of the Bavarian State Library )
- Roman Bucheli: The conversation with the dead. The poet Paul Wühr has died. In: Neue Zürcher Zeitung. July 15, 2016, p. 36.
- German author Paul Wühr receives Heimrad-Bäcker-Preis. In: standard.at , May 13, 2014.
- BR radio play Pool - Wühr, Verirrhaus
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 10, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 12, 2016|
|Place of death||at Passignano sul Trasimeno|