Abraham was the son of a baker and later commercial artist and a stenographer who died in 1943. In the final phase of the Second World War , Abraham's father lived in illegality , Abraham himself under a false name with foster parents .
After the war he grew up in Berlin, where he also attended elementary school. From 1950 to 1953 he completed an apprenticeship as a publisher and bookseller , after which he worked for two years as a retailer in a Berlin publishing house. From 1956 to 1960 he studied at the film academy in Potsdam-Babelsberg , from which Abraham graduated with a diploma in film dramaturgy. From 1960 he worked as a dramaturge for GDR television ; From 1976 he lived as a freelance writer in Potsdam and also worked as an editor and theater critic in Berlin.
Peter Abraham was one of the most famous children's book authors in the GDR ; even after the fall of the Wall , he remained loyal to this genre. He also worked as a screenwriter on numerous films and television plays . His children's book The School Ghost was filmed by DEFA in 1986 . The main character of the book, the cheeky and clever Carola Huflattich, is also the leading actress in other books by Abraham ( The Monkey Star , Carola's Flight to Denkdirwas ). The author has written novels beyond the genre of children's and young people's books, including: a. Cuckoo Brood and The Shots of Noah's Ark . In 2011 he published his autobiography When I Forgot to Play , in which he writes about his childhood in Nazi Germany and the years after.
Peter Abraham was a member of the Association of German Writers .
- 1973 Art Prize of the FDJ
- 1973 Art Prize of the FDGB
- 1983 Alex Wedding Prize
- 1986 Patriotic Order of Merit in bronze
- 1987 National Prize of the GDR III. class
- Slacker. (Children's book) Berlin 1963.
- The first hour. Portraits , 1969 (co-author).
- The shots of Noah's Ark or The errors and wanderings of my friend Wensloff. (Roman) Berlin 1970.
- My wedding to the princess. (Roman) Berlin 1972.
- Frederic. (Children's book) Berlin 1973 (Illustrations: Eberhard Binder).
- ABC, reading doesn't hurt , Berlin 1974 (together with Gertrud Zucker )
- The windy shower bottles , Berlin 1974 (together with Eberhard Binder)
- A Columbus on the Havel , Berlin 1975
- Kaspar or The Shirt of the Just , Berlin 1976
- The school ghost , Berlin 1978
- Doctor Aibolit , Berlin 1979 (together with Karl Schrader)
- Come with me to Chicago , Berlin 1979
- Pianke , Berlin 1981
- Das eightchte Geißlein , Berlin 1983 (together with Hannes Hüttner and Uwe Kant under the common pseudonym Karl Georg von Löffelholz)
- Red Fox and Other People , Berlin 1983
- Why do you get a slap? , Berlin 1983
- The Affenstern , Berlin 1985
- From elks and ear mushrooms , Berlin 1987
- Fünkchen lives , Berlin 1988
- The Dachshund Point , Würzburg 1991
- Before I was there , Berlin 1992
- Piepheini , Munich 1996
- Carola's escape to Denkdirwas , Leipzig 1997
- Animal stories , Ravensburg 1999
- Holiday stories, Ravensburg 2001 (with Gabie Selbach)
- Pirate stories , illustrations: Wilfried Gebhard . Ravensburg 2001
- The school ghost and the super detectives , Ravensburg 2003
- The school ghost on the move , Ravensburg 2005
- Cuckoo Brood - Novel of a Quest , Culture Machines - Berlin 2009
- When I forgot to play , autobiography of the early years, culture machines - Berlin 2011
- 1973: Rotfuchs , director: Manfred Mosblech , leading role Angelika Waller
- 1978: A Columbus on the Havel , directed by Hans Kratzert
- 1982: The Shots of Noah's Ark, Director: Egon Schlegel
- 1982: Come to Chicago with me ! Director: Bodo Fürneisen
- 1983: Pianke, director: Gunter Friedrich
- 1986: The School Ghost , directed by Rolf Losansky
- 1993–1996: Sunday again and again . Scripts for the television series, filmed with Grit Boettcher , Gerhard Olschewski , Franz Sonntag , Eva Maria Bauer , Susanna Wellenbrink , Heinz Rennhack , Wolfgang Winkler as Waldi, Anita Kupsch as Vera, Britta Schmeling as Beatrice, Werner Tietze . Novafilm television production for ZDF .
- Long-distance journeys , Berlin 1976
- I love living in Berlin 1982
- Madness! , Ravensburg 1990 (with Margarete Gorschenek)
- Meyer's pocket dictionary. GDR writer. VEB Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig 1974.
- Literature by and about Peter Abraham in the catalog of the German National Library
- Directory of authors. In: netz-tipp.de. Retrieved June 29, 2016 .
- Peter Abraham in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Writer Peter Abraham died
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Spoonwood, Karl Georg von (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 19, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 6, 2015|
|Place of death||Potsdam|