|Seat||Basel , Switzerland|
( Managing Partner )
( Chairman of the Board of Directors )
|Number of employees||150|
The Prognos AG is one of the oldest economic research and consulting company in Europe.
Prognos AG was founded in 1959 as a spin-off from the University of Basel . The core business is the preparation of analyzes and forecasts on economic, political or social issues. From the beginning, Prognos had a strong focus on Germany, today it generates a large part of its sales outside of Switzerland. In addition to the headquarters in Basel , the largest location is now in Berlin . There are also offices in Bremen , Brussels and Düsseldorf , since 2008 also in Munich and Stuttgart , and since 2015 in Freiburg im Breisgau .
Since 1990 Prognos AG has been majority owned by the Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group from Stuttgart. The clients of Prognos AG include private and public companies, organizations and institutions from all economic sectors as well as from politics, administration and civil society .
Prognos AG was founded on October 6, 1959 by Edgar Salin († May 17, 1974) together with six scientists in Basel. Gerhard Simonis became the first managing director and Fritz Hagemann became president of the board of directors. Gottfried Bombach († 2010) took over the chairmanship of the Scientific Advisory Board in 1960 and in 1962 Peter G. Rogge was appointed Managing Director as successor to Gerhard Simons. Prognos AG soon had 26 permanent employees.
The economist and business economist Christian Böllhoff has been a managing partner of Prognos AG since 2003.
The first Prognos Germany Report (“The Federal Republic of Germany 1950-1970”) was published in 1965. To this day, the report is regarded as a compendium on the future of Germany and a planning tool for decision-makers from business and politics.
In March 1971 the Swiss Bank Corporation took over the majority of shares in Prognos. At this point in time, Prognos employed 75 people. After Peter G. Rogge moved to the Bankverein, Heik Afheldt took over the chairmanship of the management in 1977. A year later, the “Freundeskreis Prognos” was founded. This consisted of former employees and launched the idea of the "Prognos Forum Future Questions" series of events, which began in 1981.
In 1980 the first German branch was opened in Cologne. However, it was later relocated to Düsseldorf. This year the number of employees reached 120. In 1982, Prognos took a 50% stake in the establishment of "IKB Consult GmbH" operated by Industriekreditbank AG (IKB) , Düsseldorf. The Bank Corporation transferred its shares to the Swiss Treuhandgesellschaft (STG) belonging to the group in 1985.
Prognos' largest office to date was opened in Berlin in 1986. Three years later, Hans J. Barth was appointed chairman of the management team to succeed Heik Afheldt, who moved to the Handelsblatt publishing group . Then the Stuttgart publishing group Georg von Holtzbrinck took over 50% of the Prognos shares from the Schweizerische Treuhandgesellschaft and acquired a further 5% from the only free shareholder. It thus became the new majority shareholder. The share of the Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group reached 75% in 1991. The Swiss Treuhandgesellschaft still holds 25% of the shares.
In August 1995, the Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group took over the remaining Prognos shares and thus became the sole shareholder. Further Prognos offices were opened in 1999 in Brussels and Bremen. The 20th Prognos Future Forum took place in December 2002.
On January 1st, 2014 ProgTrans AG merged with Prognos AG. As part of the succession plan for the founder and managing director of ProgTrans AG, Prognos AG took over all shares in ProgTrans AG and thus became its sole owner. In this way, ProgTrans AG is returning to its headquarters.
Prognos AG is divided into six consulting areas, all of which are spread over several locations. These consulting areas in turn consist of different subject areas. The consulting areas are:
- Economy & work
- Society & State
- Location & region
- Economy & innovation
- Energy & climate protection
- Infrastructure & traffic
- Federal and state ministries and other public sector institutions
- European institutions
- NGOs, think tanks and foundations
- Large companies and SMEs
- Interest groups such as business and social associations, employers and trade unions
- public companies
- Decision-makers and planners in municipalities and regions
- Media houses
In addition to studies and investigations of all kinds, econometric analyzes and prognoses are among the core activities of Prognos AG. There are also consulting projects, for example in the form of market analyzes , feasibility studies, legal impact assessments , mediation procedures, etc. In addition to the order-related projects, there are regular products such as “Reports”, “Atlas Series” and “Future Studies”.
- Christian Böllhoff and Hans J. Barth (eds.): On the trail of the future: Analyzes and forecasts for the economy and society. Festschrift for the 50th anniversary of Prognos AG ; Publisher: Schäffer-Poeschel (2009), ISBN 3791029185
- Claus-Heinrich Daub and Iris Rae (Red.) / Prognos AG (Ed.): Europe in the world economy of tomorrow. Prognos Forum Future Issues 1994 ; Publisher: Schäffer-Poeschel (1995), ISBN 3791009311
- Heik Afheldt and Peter G. Rogge (eds.): Are we running out of work? Thought ahead by Ralf Dahrendorf, Georg H. Endress, Hansjürg Mey and Heimfrid Wolff. Prognos Forum Future Issues ; Publisher: Huber (1983), ISBN 3-7193-0877-4
- Official website of Prognos AG
- Wirtschaftswoche awards Prognos AG the “Best of Consulting 2017” award in the Public Sector & Sustainability category, website accessed on September 27, 2018
- Guest commentary by Christian Böllhoff in the Handelsblatt "A signal for new courage" , accessed on September 27, 2018
- Leif meets Dr. Oliver Ehrentraut (Prognos AG), "How the pension is created" , accessed on September 27, 2018
- Prognos locations. Retrieved July 16, 2018 .
- Prognos Chronologicum ( Memento of the original from April 7, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed April 23, 2014
- Media release of the Fusion Prognos AG and ProgTrans AG ( Memento of the original from August 20, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed April 23, 2014
- Prognos Consulting Areas , accessed on April 23, 2014
- Prognos publications , accessed on April 23, 2014