Company foundations and history until 1953
Goldeck in Leipzig
In 1821 Wilhelm Felsche founded a pastry shop in Leipzig . The company expanded its field of activity in 1835 with the Café Français on Augustusplatz in Leipzig . Chocolate production was relocated to Reudnitz in 1841 . In 1845 Felsche also acquired the property next to the coffee house on Augustusplatz for production purposes. In 1862 he was given the title of " Royal Court Supplier ". His son-in-law Adolph Schütte-Felsche relocated chocolate production to Gohlis in 1873 .
Another great Leipzig chocolate pioneer was FO Richter, whose company later joined Goldeck .
In the years of the Second World War, the production facilities were used not only for the production of chocolate and cocoa, but also for oat flakes and oat flour.
In 1949 the owners of the chocolate factory moved to Hamburg to open a branch of the Wilhelm Felsche company.
Forerunner of Zetti in Zeitz
In 1831 Friedrich August Oehler (1801-1859) founded a material, tobacco and dye goods store in Zeitz. The production of baked goods and sugar confectionery started in 1846. His son-in-law HR Gustav Donalies expanded the product range from macaroons , pumpernickel and sugar bread with refined sugar , dragees and caramel sweets . In 1894 Donalies acquired 10,000 m² of land in the north of Zeitz. The Oehler company produced at this location until the 1950s.
Developments in the GDR
The expropriations and nationalizations of private companies carried out in the Soviet occupation zone and the GDR also affected the confectionery businesses. In 1953/1955 Felsche became the VEB confectionery factory Goldeck . In 1962 this company merged with VEB Empor (formerly FO Richter ) to form VEB Leipziger Süßwarenbetrieb . The production focused on soft caramels, cocoa, cocoa butter and coating masses. In the VEB Leipziger confectionery operating more farms were built later, such as the VEB Drops factory diving (former candy factory Afro Adolf Frost & Co. ) and the VEB sugar processing Leipzig . In 1980 the VEB Leipziger Süßwarenbetrieb was incorporated into the newly founded VEB Kombinat Süßwaren Delitzsch .
In 1953 FA Oehler became part of the VVB Süßwarenindustrie Dresden , which resumed chocolate production in 1955. In 1970 the company started producing small-format chocolate bars (10 g and 25 g), which made the “Zetti” brand popular, because the part of the company in Zeitz remained recognizable as VEB Zetti Schokoladen- und Zuckerwaren Zeitz, company of the VEB Kombinat Sweets . The packaging was printed with various motifs, including characters from the children's program Our Sandman . In the 1970s, the production of Zetti crispy flakes also began .
In 1980 the VEB Süßwaren Naumburg , which had specialized in chewy sweets , was integrated. 1989 produced the VEB Zetti chocolate and sugar confectionery Zeitz addition to chocolate bars and crisps and cocoa, fondant - Jelly - coated tablet and aerated confectionery and chocolate hazelnut cream and nutcracker .
Changes after 1990
After reunification , Leipziger Süßwaren GmbH became the sole legal successor in Leipzig. However, the company did not succeed in asserting itself on the market with its products, it went into liquidation , and parts of production were shut down in December 1991. In 1992, the Ost Com holding , based in the canton of Zug , Switzerland, acquired the former Empor division and continued production. The collapse of OstCom affected the company peripherally. In 1993, today's Goldeck Süßwaren GmbH was founded, it controlled the business operations. In 1994 Goldeck Süßwaren GmbH took over the production facilities and used the trademark rights of Zetti, Zeitz.
In 1999 the company gave up its production site in Leipzig and its location in Zeitzer Donaliesstrasse. Since then, instead of the old factory buildings, production has been carried out exclusively in new production halls in the northeast of Zeitz.
DZ Equity Partner, the subsidiary of DZ Bank , acquired a minority stake in Goldeck in 2011 . The increase in equity provided the means for modernizing and expanding the production halls for new production lines .
Trademarks, Products and Marketing
The Goldeck Süßwaren GmbH is the register of the German Patent and Trademark Office registered since 1998 as owner of the trademark rights to Zetti. As of the beginning of November 2016, 60 different trademarks or word and image trademarks are registered there.
In the second half of the 1990s, Goldeck Süßwaren GmbH deleted a large number of products from the traditional range . After this reduction in the variety of products, the company initially concentrated on Zetti crispy flakes (since the end of 1995), added Bambina in 1998 and, since 2000, also Schlager sweet bars and coconut in chocolate . Cornusso has been on the market since 2005. The manufacturer also offers a range of chocolates in different variants and specialties as well as seasonal products. The portfolio was divided early November 2016 as follows:
- Crispy flakes
- Noble bitter chocolate
- Fine nougat variations
- Fine marzipan variations
- "Bambina" variations
- Coconut variations ( coconut flakes / chocolate)
- "Classic" (chocolate biscuits, Schlager sweet bar)
- seasonal items
Awareness, Marketing and Distribution
The brand as a whole and some products are very well known in the new federal states. In 1997, the Zetti brand had a level of awareness of 74 percent. The pop-Süßtafel knew in 2000, 96 percent of respondents.
In the past few years, Eberhard Cohrs and Stefan Kretzschmar appeared as testimonials in Zetti advertising . Since 2001, Zetti has been involved in a "Safe way to school" initiative by MDR Jump , which among other things gives gifts to school beginners. In this way, the confectionery manufacturer reaches around 75,000 households. Goldeck Confectionery also repeatedly used Carnival, Mardi Gras and Mardi Gras to conduct cross-promotion . The same applies to the cooperation with Unicum (nationwide addressing of university beginners) and for the cooperation with McDonald’s .
The new federal states are considered the core sales area; Zetti has been represented in the old federal states since 1999. The entry was made with the help of the sales partner Lekkerland , who initially placed Zetti products at petrol stations, in kiosks and in canteens. Zetti has been listed nationwide since 2002 at the latest. A year later, for example, Edeka , Spar , Coop and a large part of the Rewe Group sold Zetti products. In 2016, "almost all of the major retail chains in Germany" offer Zetti products.
An internal conflict occurred in 1998 when a large number of workers went on strike to push through higher wages. The month-long labor dispute ended at the beginning of September with the agreement on a multi-level wage increase and a company collective agreement .
At the end of 2015, Goldeck Süßwaren and other companies brought a lawsuit against the sugar cartel that the sugar manufacturers Pfeifer & Langen , Südzucker and Nordzucker had formed for the purpose of price fixing .
- Oliver Errichiello, Arnd Zschiesche : Eastern secret to success. Survival strategies from the best brands - and what managers can learn from them . Gabler Fachverlage, 2009, ISBN 978-3-8349-1615-0 , chapter Zetti - Success with Flocke , p. 181-183 .
- Michael Heinemann: History of the confectionery industry in the GDR . IZS-Verlag, 2007, ISBN 978-3-9808866-4-2 , Chapter VI.23. VEB Zetti chocolate and sugar products , p. 185-186 .
- Information on the historical background according to the Zetti website ( Memento of the original of November 24, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , unless otherwise stated.
- Chocolate in Germany in the 19th Century , accessed on October 31, 2016.
- Horst Riedel: Stadtlexikon Leipzig of A-Z . Pro Leipzig, Leipzig 2005, ISBN 3-936508-03-8 , p. 145.
- Information about Felsche on the leipzig-gohlis.de website, accessed on October 31, 2016.
- Key words on Oehler's biography on zeitz.de , accessed on October 31, 2016.
- The Zetti brand , in: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of December 29, 2012.
- Chocolate and sugar goods factory Oehler (later Zetti) , information on museum-digital.de , accessed on October 31, 2013.
- Information on the Zetti Chocolate Factory Zeitz ( Memento of the original from November 23, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on industrie-kultur-ost.de , accessed on October 31, 2016.
- See the exhibits in the Leipzig City History Museum , online at europeana.eu , accessed on October 31, 2016.
- Andreas Hergeth: The Taste of the East , in: The daily newspaper from July 25, 1998.
- Mandy-Christin Berthold: Bahnhofsviertel. Down there in the valley village of Naumburg , in: Naumburger Tageblatt from March 4, 2016, accessed on October 31, 2016.
- Information about the company ( memento of the original dated November 24, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. on deutsche-unternehmen-register.com , accessed on November 1, 2016.
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Information from the commercial register of the Canton of Zug , accessed on November 1, 2016.
- Uwe Müller: Ostcom collapses like a house of cards. In: The world . June 21, 1999, accessed November 1, 2016 .
- Heidi Dürr: Goldeck independent again . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung of December 17, 1999.
- Birgit Will: Zetti and Bambina. GDR stamps as cult objects East . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 34 from August 21, 1998. Thorsten Gerbank: Nosedive on crispy flakes. Zeitzer product on television nationwide . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of August 29, 2008. Heike Balzer: Cult products from GDR times. In: Lebensmittel Zeitung from October 9, 2009.
- new Goldeck factory in Zeitz is ready . In: Leipziger Volkszeitung , Dresdner Latest News edition of July 3, 1999. After moving, Zetti initially produces crispy flakes in the Elsterstadt . In: Leipziger Volkszeitung , Oschatzer Allgemeine edition of July 15, 1999.
- DZ Equity thinks Goldeck is cute . In. Börsen-Zeitung of August 25, 2011. Zeitz plant for crispy flakes is modernized. In: Bild , Leipzig edition, September 9, 2011. Torsten Gerbank: Zetti doubles production . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of September 17, 2011. Oliver Weddrien, Martin Franke: Renaissance in equity . In: Creditreform , No. 11 of November 4, 2011.
- Confectionery and baked goods . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of January 10, 2014.
- Register number 2079462 , accessed on November 2, 2016.
- Query in the beginner's search with the following items: (inh = ("Goldeck" (L) "Sweets" (L) "GmbH") or anm = ("Goldeck" (L) "Sweets" (L) "GmbH")) and (wm = "Zetti") and (DB = DE or DB = EM or DB = IR), carried out on November 2, 2016.
- Heidi Dürr: Confectionery is stabilized in the east . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung of February 6, 1998. Helga Heilig: Seductive sweetness. Not only Naumburgers are after Zeitzer Bambina. Chocolate has been back on the market for eleven days. Large demand leads to bottlenecks . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of May 12, 1998. Birgit Will: Zetti and Bambina. GDR stamps as cult objects East . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 34 of August 21, 1998.
- Goldeck confectionery . In: Lebensmittel Praxis , No. 8 of April 23, 1999. After moving, Zetti initially produces crispy flakes in Elsterstadt . In: Leipziger Volkszeitung , Oschatzer Allgemeine edition of July 15, 1999.
- Torsten Gerbank: Christmas business already checked. Goldeck Süßwaren GmbH: Company invests 250,000 euros in production line. Three new products . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitun g, Weissenfeld edition, September 1, 2005. Goldeck confectionery. Sweet + crunchy treats . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 35 of September 2, 2005.
- See the overview on the website , menu item Products .
- Groundbreaking ceremony for a new chocolate factory. 74 percent of East Germans know the “Zetti” trademark . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of October 29, 1997. Birgit Will: Zetti and Bambina. GDR stamps as cult objects East . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 34 of August 21, 1998. Crunchy hits . In: Food Practice No. 18 of September 25, 1998.
- Torsten Gerbank: Sweet bars are in the starting blocks. Goldeck Zeitz brings cult product back onto the market . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of January 28, 2000.
- Comedian Eberhard Cohrs crunchy sweets from Zetti . In: Horizont No. 10 from March 6, 1997. Zetti on the road to success . In: Leipziger Volkszeitung from June 19, 1997. Birgit Will: Zetti and Bambina. GDR stamps as cult objects East . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 34 of August 21, 1998.
- Creation News . In: Horizon No. 15 of April 13, 2000.
- Uwe Gajowski: Companies in the region: Goldeck / Zetti. Zeitzer satisfy cravings for sweets. Premium chocolate manufacturer is in the black. Growth continued step by step . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of August 13, 2002. Dietmar Biermann: National strategy at Zetti. The demarcation as a regional east supplier can no longer be maintained . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 37 of September 12, 2003. Dietmar Biermann: Goldeck sharpens brand profile. The expansion of broad direct contacts also leads to the goal . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 37 of September 16, 2005. Dietmar Biermann: Zetti brand in action. Goldeck confectionery pushes cross-promotion . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 35 of September 1, 2006. Dietmar Biermann: Cross-Promotion for Zetti. Goldeck Confectionery invests in brand communication . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 41 of October 12, 2007. Heike Riedel: Zetti seduces those with a sweet tooth with coconut and nuts. Zeitzer confectionery is not only sold in the new federal states. The site continues to invest and produce more and more . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of November 18, 2009.
- Dietmar Biermann: Goldeck sharpens brand profile. The expansion of broad direct contacts also leads to the goal . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 37 of September 16, 2005. Dietmar Biermann: Zetti brand in action. Goldeck confectionery pushes cross-promotion . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 35 of September 1, 2006 Dietmar Biermann: Cross-Promotion for Zetti. Goldeck Confectionery invests in brand communication . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 41 of October 12, 2007.
- Torsten Gerbank: Goldeck: Crispy flakes fall off the line in the new hall. Confectionery production at the freight yard begins at the end of next week. In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of September 9, 1999.
- Dietmar Biermann: Growth with new premium products. Goldeck Süßwaren GmbH with premium products successful in the German market . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 37 of September 13, 2002.
- Birgit Will: Sweet flakes. Zetti expands its range to include nougat flakes . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 44 of October 31, 2003. For listings in Hamburg 2010 see: The West loves these Eastern products! GDR cult products in Hamburg's supermarkets. The MOPO on Sunday gives an overview. In: Hamburger Morgenpost on Sunday September 26, 2010.
- Assortment always in view. Goldeck Confectionery is growing dynamically . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 39 of September 30, 2016.
- Hartmut Landes: Strike at Zetti. Worried looks and many questions about the strike. The late shift was followed by a strike call. Management speaks of excessive wage demands . In: Mitteldeutsche Zeitung of August 6, 1998. Strike at the confectionery manufacturer Zetti continues. Strike in the third week. Problems with delivery dates. Employees want a different tariff . In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 34 of August 21, 1998. Zetti strike ended after agreement . In: Die Tageszeitung from September 4, 1998. The collective bargaining conflict at Zetti has now been resolved after a four-week strike. Agreement on a fixed-term contract . In: Lausitzer Rundschau of September 4, 1998. Agreement on house tariff. Zetti strike ended after four weeks . In: Leipziger Volkszeitung from September 4, 1998. Labor dispute at Zetti Zeitz settled. In: Sächsische Zeitung of September 8, 1998.
- Heidrun Krost: Another lawsuit against the sugar cartel. Müller-Milch, Goldeck-Confectionery and Hansa-Heemann are demanding compensation. Kaufland and others in the lead. In: Lebensmittel Zeitung No. 52 of December 24, 2015. Paulaner and Vaihinger are demanding compensation . In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of October 22, 2016. Basically bitter times for the sugar cartel on this conflict . In: Handelsblatt . August 25, 2015, accessed November 2, 2016 .