Calendar overview 888
|Odo of Paris becomes king of the west of France .|
|888 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||336/337 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1431/32 (southern Buddhism); 1430/31 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||59th (60th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||250/251 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||266/267 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||274/275 (May 15/16)|
|Jewish calendar||4648/49 (9/10 September)|
ab urbe condita MDCXLI (1641)
Diocletian's era : 604/605 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1198/99 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1199/1200 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||944/945 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 13 : Emperor Karl III. dies. In the struggle for his successor, the Franconian Empire finally falls apart .
- February 29th : Odo of Paris becomes king of western France and the progenitor of the Capetians , a new dynasty.
- Spring: Pietro Tribuno is elected Doge of Venice to succeed Pietro I. Candiano, who died the previous year . He is the first doge to be used directly by the popular assembly, the arengo .
- Berengar I is crowned King of the Longobards by Bishop Anselm of Milan in Pavia .
- Al-Mundhir , sixth emir of Córdoba , falls under marUmar ibn Hafsūn during the siege of the fortress Bobastro near Málaga in the fight against insurgents . He is succeeded by his younger brother Abdallah . Under his rule, the revolts against the Umayyads spread .
City foundations and first documentary mentions
- June 13 : Muffendorf , today a district of the city of Bonn in the Bad Godesberg district , is mentioned for the first time.
- June 28 : Foundation of the place Lendelfingen (in today's Saarland), later renaming to St. Ingbert
- Linnich is mentioned for the first time in a document ; it attests to the donation of the royal estate "Linnica" from King Lothar II to the Marienstift Aachen in 851 .
- First documentary mention of Lonsee , Thundorf i.UFr. and Dusslingen
- Mannheim-Sandhofen is mentioned for the first time as "Villa Sunthove" in the Lorsch Codex .
science and technology
- around 888: Under Emperor Leo VI. The basilicas are completed, a Greek-language collection of Byzantine law in 60 books begun under Leo's predecessor Basil I.
- The Italian fever appears again in Europe.
Date of death secured
- January 13 : Charles III. "The fat one", Roman emperor and king in the Frankish empire (* 839 )
- June 11 : Rimbert , Archbishop of Bremen-Hamburg (* around 830 )
- July: al-Mundhir , Emir of Cordoba
Exact date of death unknown
- Abū Dāwūd as-Sidschistānī , Islamic traditionalist and hadith critic (* 817 )
- Meginhard , Benedictine monk in the Fulda monastery