Anton Ernst von Schaffgotsch
Anton Ernst von Schaffgotsch (also: Anton Ernst Graf Schaffgotsch (e) ; Czech Antonín Arnošt Schaffgotsche ; born February 16, 1804 in Brno ; † March 31, 1870 ) was Bishop of Brno .
Origin and career
Anton Ernst von Schaffgotsch came from the Bohemian line of the Silesian noble family Schaffgotsch . His uncle Johann Prokop von Schaffgotsch was the first bishop of Budweis , his brother Johann Franz became general of the cavalry. Anton Ernst studied theology in Brno, where he received the sacrament of ordination on September 8, 1827 . After promotion to the doctorate in theology , he was from 1831 pastor of United Tajax . In 1837 he became canon of the Metropolitan Chapter of Olomouc , and a year later he was promoted to Provost of Kremsier .
Auxiliary Bishop in Olomouc and Bishop of Brno
On July 11, 1839 he was appointed titular bishop of Aureliopolis in Lydia and auxiliary bishop in Olomouc . The Archbishop of Olmütz, Maximilian Joseph Gottfried von Sommerau Beeckh , donated him the episcopal ordination on October 20 of the same year; Mitkonsekrator the Bishop of Brno, was Franz Anton Gindl . After the death of Brno Bishop Franz Anton Gindl, Anton Ernst von Schaffgotsch was appointed his successor on July 15, 1841. The papal confirmation of January 27, 1842 was followed by the enthronement on May 5 of that year .
During his tenure, Schaffgotsch had popular missions carried out for the believers in his district . He introduced spiritual retreats for the clergy . He fought the still partially existing spirit of Josephinism . In 1849 he took part in the Austrian Bishops' Conference, which submitted various demands on the rights of the Church to the emperor. In 1853 he founded a boys' college for his diocese , to which he determined most of his fortune in a will.
In 1868 he married the future Bavarian royal couple, Prince Ludwig (later King Ludwig III) and Marie Therese of Austria-Este in Vienna .
As Bishop of Brno he had a virile vote in the Moravian Parliament from 1861 to 1873 .
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Schaffgotsch, Johann Anton Ernst Graf . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 29th part. Imperial-Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1875, p. 79 f. ( Digitized version ).
- AK Huber: Schaffgotsch (e) Johann Anton Ernst Gf .. In: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 10, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1994, ISBN 3-7001-2186-5 , p. 28.
- Johann Zabel: Two Hundred Years of the Diocese of Brno (1777–1977) . Series of publications of the Sudeten German Priestly Work, Volume XXI, Königstein / Taunus 1975.
- A. Kuzio-Podrucki: Schaffgotschowie. Zmienne losy śląskiej arystokracji. Bytom 2007, ISBN 978-83-923733-1-5 (Polish).
- A. Kuzio-Podrucki: The Schaffgotsch House. The changeful fate of a noble Silesian dynasty. Tarnowskie Góry 2009, ISBN 978-83-61458-32-6 .
- Entry on Antonín Arnošt Schaaffgotsche on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on August 8, 2016.
|SURNAME||Schaffgotsch, Anton Ernst von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schaffgotsche, Anton Ernst von; Schaffgotsch, Anton Ernst Graf von; Schaffgotsche, Antonín Arnošt|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Bishop of Brno|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 16, 1804|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brno|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 31, 1870|