Maximilian Joseph Gottfried von Sommerau Beeckh
His parents were the Freiherr Gottfried Wilhelm Sommerau Beeckh and Klara, geb. by Summer. After attending the Jesuit College, he joined the army and was a cavalry lieutenant from 1788 to 1791. He then studied theology in Vienna, where he received the sacrament of ordination on September 10, 1797 . After working as chaplain in Pillichsdorf , Hernals , Matzleinsdorf and Wieden and as a military chaplain , he became pastor of St. Leopold in Vienna in 1810 .
After Sommerau Beeckh was appointed non-resident canon of the Olomouc Cathedral in 1813 , further promotions and appointments to canon , archbishop's council, resident canon, consistorial assessor , prelate Infulatus , provost of St. Mauritius , dean , archpriest followed there in the next few years and finally, prelate of the metropolitan .
On November 21, 1836, the Olomouc cathedral chapter elected Sommerau Beeckh to succeed the late Archbishop Ferdinand Maria von Chotek . He received his episcopal consecration on May 19, 1837, the Brno Bishop Franz Grindl . In 1842 Sommerau Beeckh was awarded the Grand Cross of the Austro-Imperial Leopold Order for his services . On August 17, 1847, he was appointed Assistant to the Holy See .
In 1848 Sommerau Beeckh housed the imperial court, which had fled to Olomouc because of the Vienna Revolution, in his bishop's residence, where Emperor Ferdinand I transferred the government to the 18-year-old Franz Joseph I. This is probably why the Archbishop was awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of St. Stephen in 1849 . A year later, Pope Pius IX. him cardinal priest in the consistory of September 30, 1850.
Maximilian Joseph Gottfried von Sommerau Beeckh died in his episcopal city in 1853 and was buried in the collegiate church in Kremsier.
- Moravia. Calendar for disseminating community knowledge and patriotism. For the common year 1854. pp. 57–61.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Somerau-Beeckh, Maximilian Joseph Freiherr von . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 35th part. Imperial and Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1877, pp. 265–271 ( digitized version ).
- Cölestin Wolfsgruber : Somerau-Beeckh, Maximilian Joseph Freiherr von . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 34, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1892, pp. 590-592.
- Joachim Bahlcke , Winfried Eberhard, Miloslav Polívka (eds.): Handbook of historical places . Volume: Bohemia and Moravia (= Kröner's pocket edition . Volume 329). Kröner, Stuttgart 1998, ISBN 3-520-32901-8 .
- Sommerau Beeckh, Maximilian Joseph Gottfried. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed November 24, 2016.
- Entry on Maximilian Joseph Gottfried Sommerau Beeckh on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on November 24, 2016.
|Ferdinand Maria Chotek by Chotkow||
Archbishop of Olomouc
|Friedrich Egon von Fürstenberg|
|SURNAME||Sommerau Beeckh, Maximilian Joseph Gottfried von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Maxmilián Josef Sommerau-Beckh|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Archbishop of Olomouc; Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 21, 1769|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 31, 1853|
|Place of death||Olomouc|