Friedrich Egon von Fürstenberg
Friedrich Egon von Fürstenberg (Czech: Bedřich z Fürstenberka ; born October 8, 1813 in Vienna ; † August 20, 1892 in Hochwald , Moravia ) was Archbishop of Olomouc from 1853 to 1892 and cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church from 1879 .
Friedrich Egon von Fürstenberg came from the landgrave line of the Princely House of Fürstenberg zu Weitra. His parents were Landgrave Friedrich Egon zu Fürstenberg (born January 26, 1774 in Vienna; † February 4, 1856) and Princess Maria Theresia zu Schwarzenberg (born October 14, 1780 in Vienna; † November 9, 1870 ibid), a daughter of the Prince Johann I. zu Schwarzenberg . Cardinal Friedrich zu Schwarzenberg was a cousin of Friedrich Egon.
Friedrich Egon von Fürstenberg was ordained a priest on October 15, 1836. He was canon in Olomouc and pastor in Harbach. On June 6, 1853 he was appointed Archbishop of Olomouc and was confirmed papally on June 27 of that year. The episcopal ordination took place on June 27th of that year. In the consistory of May 12, 1879 he was by Pope Leo XIII. elevated to cardinal priest with the titular church of San Crisogono .
During his tenure, Archbishop Friedrich Egon founded the Archbishop's Gymnasium in Kremsier in 1854 . In 1863 he had an Ursuline monastery built in Pschestawilk Castle . In 1882 Cardinal Fürstenberg founded a monastery of the Congregation of the Holy Cross in Chorin Castle . The Olomouc Cathedral was extensively rebuilt in the neo-Gothic style from 1883 to 1892 by the architects Gustav Meretta and Richard Völkel . After his death, Friedrich Egon Cardinal von Fürstenberg was buried in this cathedral.
As Archbishop of Olomouc he had a virile vote in the Moravian Parliament from 1861 to 1892 .
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Fürstenberg, Friedrich Egon Landgraf . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 5th part. Typogr.-literar.-artist publishing house. Establishment (L. C. Zamarski & C. Dittmarsch.), Vienna 1859, p. 16 ( digitized version ).
- Joachim Bahlcke , Winfried Eberhard, Miloslav Polívka (eds.): Handbook of historical places . Volume: Bohemia and Moravia (= Kröner's pocket edition . Volume 329). Kröner, Stuttgart 1998, ISBN 3-520-32901-8 , pp. 385 and 430.
- Martin Bräuer: Handbook of the Cardinals 1846–2012 , Walter de Gruyter GmbH Berlin / Boston 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-026944-4 , p. 113.
- Entry on Friedrich Egon von Fürstenberg on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on July 30, 2018.
- Fürstenberg, Friedrich Egon from. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed December 5, 2015. (English)
- Gothaischer genealogical yard calendar
|Maximilian Joseph Gottfried von Sommerau Beeckh||
Archbishop of Olomouc
1853 - 1892
|SURNAME||Fürstenberg, Friedrich Egon from|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bedřich z Fürstenberka|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 8, 1813|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 20, 1892|
|Place of death||Hukvaldy , Moravia|