View of Barakaldo
|coat of arms||Map of Spain|
|Autonomous Community :||Basque Country|
|Comarca :||Gran Bilbao|
|Area :||29.39 km²|
|Residents :||100,881 (Jan. 1, 2019)|
|Population density :||3,432.49 inhabitants / km²|
|Postal code :||48900, 48901, 48902 and 48903|
|Municipality number ( INE ):||48013|
|Mayor :||Amaia del Campo ( PNV )|
|Address of the municipal administration:||Herriko Plaza, 1, 48901 Barakaldo, Vizcaya, Spain Tel .: +34 944 78 91 00|
|Location of the municipality|
Barakaldo is located on the Ría de Bilbao , about ten kilometers from Bilbao and five kilometers from the coast of the Bay of Biscay . The center is on a hill above the Ria. The area is mountainous with elevations of 400–500 m. There are iron ore deposits in the mountains around Barakaldo ( Montes de Triano ).
The exact founding date of Barakaldo is not known exactly. It is presumably before the year 1000. The first documentary mention comes from the year 1051. Urban development has always been associated with ore mining and iron production and processing.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, Barakaldo was an important location for the Spanish steel industry. In the 1990s, the Altos Hornos de Vizcaya steelworks were closed as part of a restructuring process, which plunged the entire region into a serious crisis.
Population development of the municipality
Source: INE archive - graphic processing for Wikipedia
Culture and sights
Barakaldo is, like the other places on the left bank of the Ría de Bilbao Santurtzi , Portugalete , Sestao , a strongly industrialized city. Nevertheless, the cityscape has changed significantly in recent years due to beautification measures.
- Teatro de Barakaldo
Since the 1990s, Barakaldo has been in a transition process from the former heavy industry to a service center. Barakaldo is home to two of the largest shopping centers in Northern Spain, the Maxcenter and the Megapark .
Since 2004, the Bilbao Exhibition Center has been located in the Ansio district of Barakaldo on the site of a former steel mill.
- Hospital in the Cruces district, one of the most important and largest hospitals in Bizkaia with a special department for burn injuries
Barakaldo is on the A8 Bilbao - Santander motorway . The city center is connected to Bilbao via the Metro de Bilbao metro line 2 . In addition, local trains run by the RENFE company run to the provincial capital.
Bilbao's airport, Loiu , is 10 km from Barakaldo.
sons and daughters of the town
- Serafín Aedo (1908–1988), football player
- Javier Clemente (* 1950), football player and coach
- Asier del Horno (* 1981), football player
- Unai Expósito (* 1980), Spanish football player
- Héctor González (* 1986), racing cyclist
- José Ramón Gurruchaga Ezama (1931–2017), Roman Catholic religious, Bishop of Lurín
- Iñaki Lafuente (* 1976), Spanish football player
- David López (* 1981), racing cyclist
- Isidro Nozal (* 1977), racing cyclist
- Josep Lluís Núñez (1931–2018), football official and former president of FC Barcelona
- Jacinto Quincoces (1905-1997), football player
- Agustín Sauto Arana (1908–1986), football player
- Mundo (1916–1978), football player
- Cifras oficiales de población resultantes de la revisión del Padrón municipal a 1 de enero . Population statistics from the Instituto Nacional de Estadística (population update).