After graduating from high school in 1968, Weiler studied biology and chemistry in Bochum from 1970 and was there in 1977 with a thesis on “The radioimmunological determination of digoxin and related compounds in Digitalis lanata Ehrh. “PhD.
After several research stays abroad , he qualified as a professor for botany in 1982, also in Bochum. From 1984 to 1988 Weiler held a professorship for plant physiology at the University of Osnabrück , after which he returned to his home university and took over the chair for plant physiology, and since 1991 he has also been director of the Central Isotope Laboratory. Weiler is one of the five authors of the 35th edition of the textbook on botany for universities , published in 2002 . He rewrote the section on plant physiology. He is also co-editor of the PLANTA magazine .
From December 1, 2006, he was rector of the Ruhr University in Bochum and on March 26, 2009 was the first to receive the “Rector of the Year” award, which is awarded by the German University Association. In November 2014, he announced his resignation from the post of Rector effective September 30, 2015. Developmental psychologist Axel Schölmerich was elected as his successor .
Honors and prizes
- 1983: Tate and Lyle Award from the Phytochemical Society of Europe
- 1989: European Science Green Rosette
- 1989: Award for European Science from the Körber Foundation
- 1995: Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the DFG
- 1997: Carus Medal of the German Society of Natural Scientists Leopoldina
- 2009: "Rector of the Year" of the German University Association
- 2010: Wearer of the Fiege beer driver's hat for special commitment to the Ruhr area
- 2010: Honorary doctorate from the University of Tours , France
- 2016: Portrait bust 'Elmar Weiler' by the sculptor Peter Hohberger unveiled in the University of Bochum
- Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities (since 1995)
- North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences (since 1996)
- Academia Europaea (since 1996)
- Senate of the German Research Foundation (2000–2006)
- Society of German Natural Scientists Leopoldina (since 2002)
- Bavarian Academy of Sciences (corresponding member since 2006)
- Board of Trustees of the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Physiology Dortmund (2003–2008)
- University Council of Osnabrück University (since 2011)
- German Botanical Society
- Society for Biological Chemistry
- American Society of Plant Physiologists
- Scandinavian Society of Plant Physiologists
- Japanese Society of Plant Physiologists
- Peter Sitte , Elmar Weiler, Joachim W. Kadereit , Andreas Bresinsky , Christian Körner : Textbook of botany for universities . Founded by Eduard Strasburger . 35th edition. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2002, ISBN 3-8274-1010-X .
- Literature by and about Elmar Weiler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Curriculum vitae on the homepage of the Ruhr University Bochum
- Elmar W. Weiler at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Entry in the Bochum university bibliography
- Professor Elmar Weiler is "Rector of the Year" .
- Elmar Weiler announces resignation in 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2014 .
- Ruhr Nachrichten, July 15, 2015
- New rector elected. Retrieved October 20, 2015 .
- Honorary doctorate for a good partnership: University of Tours honors RUB Rector Prof. Elmar Weiler . In: Science Information Service , October 12, 2010; Retrieved November 25, 2010
- Archive P.Hohberger, Museum of European Art (NRW), accessed on 31 January 2017
- Member by Elmar Weiler (with picture) at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on July 20, 2016.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Weiler, Elmar Wilhelm (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 13, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bochum|