Günter Stock (born February 7, 1944 in Šidski Banovci , today part of the municipality of Nijemci , Croatia ) is a German physiologist . From 2006 to 2015 he was President of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities , from 2008 to 2015 President of the Union of German Academies of Sciences . Since April 2012 he has been President of the All European Academies (ALLEA) and since October 2015 Chairman of the Board of the Einstein Foundation Berlin .
Günter Stock studied medicine at the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg from 1965 to 1970 . In 1970 he completed his studies with a state examination and a doctorate . He then worked as a research assistant at the I. Physiological Institute of the University of Heidelberg, where he qualified as a professor there, after a research stay at the University of Gothenburg , in 1978 in the subject of physiology. In 1980, he received a call on the Chair of Vegetative Physiology at the University of Heidelberg.
In 1983 he joined Schering AG as head of the main department of cardiovascular pharmacology and in 1987 took over the management of the local institute for pharmacology . In 1986 the Free University of Berlin appointed him an adjunct professor. From 1989 to 2005 he was a member of the Board of Management of Schering AG, where he was responsible for the corporate function research and development.
From 2006 to October 2015 Günter Stock was President of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences, of which he has been a member since 1995. The strategic goals of Günter Stock's term of office included: the further expansion of research on future issues through interdisciplinary working groups, among others on the topics of the “Excellence Initiative”, “Genetic Technology Report” or “Future with Children - Fertility and Social Development”; the increased research and development of the cultural and historical heritage on a high scientific and methodological level and using the most modern instruments as well as future-oriented issues; the expansion of the dialogue between science and society, for example through the “Academy and School” initiative and “Annual Themes”, with which the Academy concentrates its own research activities and bundles the activities of other institutions under a common thematic umbrella.
Günter Stock was President of the Union of German Academies of Sciences from 2008 to 2015. Günter Stock was President of the All European Academies (ALLEA) between 2012 and 2018 . Since October 2015 the CEO of the Einstein Foundation Berlin has been .
Günter Stock was a member of the Science Council from 1992 to 2007 and was Vice President and member of the Board of Directors of the Max Planck Society until 2011 . In 1995 he became a full member of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences. From 1999 to 2015 he was senator of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina , from 2001 to 2007 and from 2008 to 2015 he was a senator and member of the board of trustees of the German Research Foundation (DFG). He is also a member of the Society of German Natural Scientists and Doctors (GDNÄ), since 2000 deputy chairman of the "Humboldt University Society", Association of Friends, Alumni and Supporters eV, since 2001 member of the Board of Trustees of Humboldt University in Berlin . Günter Stock was Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW) Berlin and a member of acatech - Convention for Technical Sciences of the Union of German Academies of Sciences. He was a member of the supervisory board of the Central European University in Budapest and is a full member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts and was chairman of the board of the Friends of the Japanese-German Center Berlin. In 2006 he became a member of the Berlin Scientific Society, a member of the Charité supervisory board , and a member of the board of trustees of the Center for Research on Contemporary History (ZZF) Potsdam. From 2007 to 2015 he was a member of the Board of Trustees for the German Study Prize of the Körber Foundation . He is a member of the Academia Europaea . In addition, Günter Stock is a member of other supervisory boards, boards of trustees, scientific institutions and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Schering Foundation . According to an article in the Berliner Tagesspiegel, Stock is active in over 60 positions and committees on science policy, a wealth of offices that are sometimes admired and sometimes criticized.
honors and awards
In 2007 he was honored with the Order of Merit of the State of Berlin by the Governing Mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit , in recognition and appreciation of his outstanding services to the city of Berlin . In 2012, Stock - also by Wowereit - was awarded the Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- NE Andén, G. Stock: Effect of clozapine on the turnover of dopamine in the courpus striatum and in the limbic system. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 24, 1973, pp. 346-348.
- G. Stock, V. Sturm, HP Schmitt, KH Schlör: The influence of chronic deep-brain stimulation on excitability and morphology of the stimulated tissue. In: Acta Neurochirurgica 47. 1979, pp. 123-129.
- G. Stock, H. Stumpf and KH Schlör: The importance of mesencephalic, diencephalic and limbic areas for central circulatory regulation . Therpiewoche 29 (1979), p. 45
- G. Stock: Social Physiology II . In: H. Schaefer (ed.): Environment and health - aspects of a social medicine. Funk-Kolleg Umwelt und Gesundheit, Vol. 1. Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag, 1982, pp. 87–117.
- G. Stock, P. Kummer, A. Steiger, H. Stumpf: Possible role of dopamine for REM sleep . In: Beckmann, Helmut and Thieme, Georg (Ed.): Biological Psychiatry. Verlag Stuttgart-New York 1982, pp. 336-342.
- G. Stock: The market of life - the importance of life science for the economy, special edition Congress volume of the XI. European Congress of Theology 15.-19. September 2002 in Zurich. Gütersloher Verlagshaus, 2002, pp. 80–95.
- G. Stock: Creativity - Source and Motor for Science and Prosperity? . In: Gerhart von Graevenitz , Jürgen Mittelstraß (ed.): Creativity without fetters. About the new in science, economy and culture, Konstanz Science Forum. Vol. 1, UVK Universitätsverlag Konstanz, Konstanz 2008, pp. 91-106.
- G. Stock, S. Sydow: Personalized medicine . In: Bundesgesundheitsblatt, Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg 2013
- RJ Gryglewski, G. Stock: Prostacyclin and its stable analogue Iloprost. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg 1987.
- Günter Stock, Ursula habenicht: Schering Foundation Workshop , Vol. 2–28. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg.
- Günter Stock, Monika Lessl: Schering Foundation Workshop. Vol. 29–. 1991, Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg.
- Jürgen Mittelstrass, Günther Stock: Chemistry and the humanities. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 1992.
- JA Dormandy, Günter Stock: Critical Leg Ischaemia: Its Pathophysiology and Management. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg.
- G. STOCK: Report by President Günter Stock, Festive Meeting for the Leibniztag. In: Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences. (formerly Prussian Academy of Sciences) Yearbook 2006, Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2007, pp. 181–203. G. STOCK: Report by President Günter Stock, ceremony for the Leibniztag. In: Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences. (formerly Prussian Academy of Sciences) Yearbook 2007, Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2008, pp. 161–189.
- “Excellence Initiative ” on bbaw.de
- “ Genechnology Report ” bbaw.de, an interdisciplinary working group of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences
- "Future with Children" on bbaw.de, an interdisciplinary working group of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences
- “Academy and School” on bbaw.de
- " Annual Theme " on Jahresesthema.bbaw.de. The 2011/2012 annual theme of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities is “Artifacts. Knowledge is art - art is knowledge ” .
- Anja Kühne: Professor Überall , in: Tagesspiegel February 14, 2008
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physiologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 7, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Šidski Banovci, today the Nijemci municipality|