Karsten Schmidt (born January 24, 1939 in Oschersleben ) is a German lawyer who deals in particular with the commercial law of the Federal Republic of Germany .
Live and act
After high school and military service, Schmidt studied law and several semesters in other humanities subjects at the Universities of Kiel and Munich . He passed the first state examination in law in 1965 at the Schleswig-Holstein Higher Regional Court and the second state examination in 1969 at the Hanseatic Higher Regional Court in Hamburg . From 1969 Schmidt was a research assistant at the Institute for Commercial and Business Law at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität under Peter Raisch .
The doctorate in 1972 and the habilitation in the winter semester 1975/76 (title of the habilitation thesis: Kartellververfahrenrecht - Kartellverwaltungsrecht - Bürgerliches Gesetz ) were followed by calls to Göttingen and Trier . Schmidt first became a professor in Göttingen. From 1977 to 1997 Schmidt was a full professor at Faculty I at the University of Hamburg and director of the seminar for commercial, shipping and business law . In 1997 Schmidt accepted a position at the University of Bonn , where he was director of the Institute for Commercial and Business Law until his retirement in 2004. Schmidt was president of Bucerius Law School , a private law school in Hamburg, for eight years ; he still holds a chair for corporate law there. Karsten Schmidt is a senior member of the Academy of Sciences in Hamburg .
Schmidt has so far published over 500 scientific papers, including over 400 essays on civil law, commercial, corporate, insolvency and competition law. Schmidt is co-editor of the Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftsrecht (ZIP) , co-editor and editor-in-chief of the magazine for the entire commercial law and commercial law (ZHR), member of the board and the board of trustees of the ZEIT Foundation Ebelin and Gerd Bucerius , Hamburg, vice-president of the Hamburg Übersee-Club and Member of the Board of Trustees of the Esche Schümann Commichau Foundation .
Schmidt has written several books. Particularly noteworthy are the complementary works on commercial and company law . In addition, he also contributes to comments , among other things he is the editor of the Munich Commentary on the Commercial Code .
Karsten Schmidt holds an honorary doctorate from the Universities of Athens , Vienna and Lüneburg and an honorary member of the Honor Society Phi Delta Phi . In 2005, he and his wife Inga Schmidt-Syaßen, presiding judge at the Hanseatic Higher Regional Court of Hamburg a. D., from the Hamburg Lawyers' Association e. V. awarded the Emil von Sauer Prize . In November 2015 Karsten Schmidt received the Carl Heymann Prize - Legal Award for special achievements in the field of law and political science.
In 2006 Karsten Schmidt received the Federal Cross of Merit, First Class .
- Georg Bitter : Karsten Schmidt - landscape designer of the law . In: Grundmann / Riesenhuber: German-speaking civil law teachers of the 20th century in reports from their students. A history of ideas in individual representations , Volume 2, Berlin, 2010, pp. 160–183.
- Tim Florstedt: Karsten Schmidt on his eightieth birthday . In: JuristenZeitung (JZ) . tape 74 , no. 3 , 2019, ISSN 0022-6882 , p. 136–137 , doi : 10.1628 / jz-2019-0053 ( mohrsiebeck.com [accessed February 19, 2019]).
- Mathias Habersack , Wolfgang Schön and Peter Ulmer : Foreword Bonn Symposium on the occasion of the 65th birthday of Prof. Dr. Drs hc Karsten Schmidt . In: ZHR 2004, 247.
- Marcus Lutter : Karsten Schmidt for his seventieth . In: GmbH-Rundschau 2009, p. 113.
- Hans-Joachim Priester : Karsten Schmidt on his 70th birthday . In: JuristenZeitung. 2009, p. 95.
- Wilhelm Uhlenbruck : Karsten Schmidt on his 70th birthday . In: NZI current issue 2, 2009, p. V f.
- Literature by and about Karsten Schmidt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of Karsten Schmidt
- ↑ Georg Bitter (Ed.): Festschrift for Karsten Schmidt on his 70th birthday. Schmidt, Cologne 2009, ISBN 978-3-504-06039-8 , p. 6.
- ^ Dies Academicus 2012 . Website of the Leuphana University of Lüneburg . Retrieved July 18, 2012.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 24, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oschersleben|