Pablo Held (born December 27, 1986 in Herdecke ) is a German jazz pianist and composer who is also internationally successful. He is considered to be the "figurehead of a young generation of jazz musicians from Germany who have gained enormous freedom with their sovereign access to the most diverse varieties of contemporary music between pop, jazz and classical, between composition and improvisation ."
Live and act
Held grew up in a musical environment: his father, pianist and composer, teaches at the music school in Hagen ; his mother, who works as a piano tuner , plays the guitar as well as the piano and also composes. At the age of four Pablo Held received his first drum lessons, at the age of ten he switched to piano and at the age of 18 began studying jazz piano in Cologne with John Taylor and Hubert Nuss at the Cologne University of Music and Dance , which he graduated with honors.
Held attracted attention primarily with the music of his trio, to which Robert Landfermann and Jonas Burgwinkel have consistently belonged since 2005 , and his large ensemble Glow , belonged to the groups of Niels Klein , Sebastian Gille , Nicolas Simion , Denis Gäbel , Tobias Christl and Norbert Scholly , but is also active as a sideman in other projects on the European jazz scene.
Concert tours have taken Held to the USA, England, Ireland, Columbia, Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, Greece, Turkey, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Latvia , Estonia, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg. He worked with John Scofield , Chris Potter , Dave Liebman , Till Brönner , Johannes Enders , WDR Big Band , NDR Bigband , Manfred Schoof , Nils Wogram , Wolfgang Muthspiel , Jason Seizer , Simon Millerd and others.
Pablo Held can be heard on over 20 recordings. His own CDs, released on Pirouet Records , have been praised by the world's trade press; the albums Music and Glow have been voted “CD of the month” several times in various magazines and blogs.
Pablo Held has been a lecturer at the Institute for Music at the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences since 2011 and gives workshops worldwide.
Prizes and awards
Held is the recipient of the Westphalia Jazz Prize (2009), the WDR Jazz Prize (2011) in the “Improvisation” category and the Horst & Gretl Will grant from the City of Cologne (2012). The Pablo Held Trio received the sponsorship award from the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in 2013. In 2014 the trio received the SWR Jazz Prize .
- Pablo Held Trio Forest of Oblivion , 2008, with Robert Landfermann, Jonas Burgwinkel
- Pablo Held Trio Music , 2010; awarded as "CD of the month" and a. from Rondo , Stereo , Jazzstation.com
- Glow , 2011 (cast of the Pablo Held Trio and Menzel Mutzke , Sebastian Gille, Niels Klein, Kathrin Pechlof , Hubert Nuss, Henning Sieverts , Dietmar Fuhr )
- Elders , 2013 (cast of the Pablo Held Trio and Jason Seizer, Domenic Landolf , Ronny Graupe )
- Pablo Held Trio Recondita Armonia , 2015
- Pablo Held Trio Lineage , 2016
- Pablo Held Trio Investigations , 2018
- Ascent , 2019, with Nelson Veras , Robert Landfermann, Jonas Burgwinkel, and Veronika Morscher , Jeremy Viner
- I'll talk about Die Zeit November 28, 2013
- Andreas Fasel: You don't play the piano with your fingers . In: THE WORLD . September 21, 2008 ( welt.de [accessed on May 6, 2020]).
- "The trio's special ability to communicate in music was recognized." - Landesmusikrat NRW sponsorship awards ( Memento from January 11, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Beate Sampson Elders (review, Bayerischer Rundfunk) ( Memento from January 11, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Review of the jazz newspaper
- Hans-Jürgen Linke: Energy of Context - "Ascent": Pablo Held's new album with a maximum of six trio. In: Frankfurter Rundschau . January 10, 2020, accessed April 5, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German jazz pianist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 27, 1986|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Herdecke|