Live and act
Burgwinkel started his career as a young student: at the age of 17 he began his studies as a young student at the Maastricht Conservatory . After a one-year scholarship at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA, he studied at the Cologne University of Music from 2004 to 2009 . He completed classes and master classes with Jamey Haddad , Michael Küttner , Ralph Peterson and Keith Copeland .
Concert tours have taken him to all continents. He played with jazz greats such as John Scofield , Chris Potter , Uri Caine , Lee Konitz , Mark Murphy , Dave Liebman , John Taylor , Nils Wogram and Manfred Schoof .
Since 2006 he has played in the Pablo Held Trio with Robert Landfermann and Pablo Held ; he also works with a large number of renowned ensembles across Europe. He currently plays around 150 concerts a year and, according to Deutschlandfunk, “is now one of the most sought-after and most active jazz musicians” of his generation in Germany.
In 2008 he founded his own ensemble, Source Direct , whose first CD received high praise from the press as soon as it was released. As a drummer he can be heard on over 50 records from record companies such as Pirouet , ACT , Enja , Traumton , Intuition , Stunt music, DeWerf or BMC .
In August 2009, Burgwinkel was a founding member of the Cologne jazz collective KLAENG, which includes 6 other musicians in addition to Burgwinkel: Tobias Christl , Pablo Held, Tobias Hoffmann , Niels Klein , Frederik Köster and Robert Landfermann. With the KLAENG festivals, a series of concerts has been established since 2010 that invites international artists and formations to Cologne. a. sets impulses through musical diversity.
Prizes and awards
Jonas Burgwinkel received the German music award ECHO Jazz in the category Instrumentalist of the Year National Drums / Percussion for his album Source Direct in 2012 . Together with Robert Landfermann, he was a 2009 winner of the WDR Jazz Prize for Improvisation. He also won the soloist award at the European Jazz Competition at the North Sea Jazz Festival .
With the Pablo Held Trio he received the sponsorship award of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia in 2013 and the SWR Jazz Award 2014.
- Source Direct (with Julian Argüelles , Niels Klein, Claus Stötter , Tobias Hoffmann, Pablo Held, Robert Landfermann; Traumton 2011)
- Side: B (with DJ Illvibe , Hans Nieswandt , Sebastian Müller, Niels Klein, Pablo Held, Robert Landfermann; Klaeng 2015)
- under a different name
- Sebastian Gille Anthem (Pirouet 2011)
- Frank Wingold Clairvoyance Virtues & Vices ( Double Moon 2011)
- Sebastian Sternal Sternal Symphonic Society (Traumton 2012)
- Nils Klein Tubes and Wires (nwog records 2013)
- Max von Mosch Orchestra Berlin Kaboom! (ACT 2014)
- Nikolas Anadolis Enjoy Jazz Festival 2014 ( Jazzhaus 2018)
- Pablo Held Trio Investigations (Pirouet 2018)
- Web presence
- Swings like hell in Die Zeit 2011
- Jonas Burgwinkel Source Direct in Jazzthing 2011
- Michael Rüsenberg Meeting Source Direct
- Jonas Burgwinkel on Deutschlandfunk
- Chris Potter and the Pablo Held Trio ( Memento from March 25, 2014 in the web archive archive.today ) in WDR 3
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1981|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aachen|