The Echo Jazz , proper spelling ECHO JAZZ , was a German music award for personalities and productions from the field of jazz music . The Echo Jazz was the youngest of three Echo Music Awards and was awarded annually by the German Phono Academy from 2010 to 2018. In addition to the Echo Jazz , there was the Echo Klassik and Echo Pop . The previous form of Echo Jazz was declared ended on April 25, 2018 after the awarding of Echo Pop 2018 led to the Echo “being perceived as a platform for anti-Semitism , contempt for women , homophobia or the belittling of violence”. A public award ceremony planned for May 31, 2018 in Hamburg, which as of the end of April 2018 was supposed to take place “in a small group without TV staging”, was canceled at short notice.
According to the journal Jazzthing, the Echo Jazz already had a “success story” three years after it was founded (2013), as it “radiates far beyond the usual jazz audience”.
The aim of Echo Jazz was not only to honor world stars for their musical achievements, but also to promote outstanding young talents with the award. Until 2018, the Echo Jazz will be awarded by a jury which, according to its own statements, will judge both “based on artistic quality and audience success.” The awarding of the Echo Jazz reflects, according to the Phono Academy, “not just opinion by critics, but also the appreciation by music buyers ”. Exceptions were the (meanwhile no longer awarded) awards for “Jazz Label of the Year” and for “Live Act of the Year”; these were awarded on the basis of Internet surveys of the readers of the Jazz thing magazine .
The submission is based on audio recordings by an artist in the jazz genre , which have received two outstanding, independent reviews from music journalists. The classification in the PHONONET database determines whether the sound carrier can be assigned to the jazz genre. All phonogram manufacturers whose phonograms are constantly sold on the German market and who have the corresponding distribution rights to the artists' phonograms are entitled to submit. Regardless of their nationality, all jazz musicians who are active in the musical life and on the recording market at the time of submission are qualified for the award. The submission period is around three weeks; For example, the submission period for Echo Jazz 2014 was from November 12 to December 3, 2013. All new jazz releases published from October 31, 2012 to November 1, 2013 were eligible for the submission process for Echo Jazz 2014. The sound carriers must contain recordings published for the first time in the evaluation period, which must account for at least 50% of the total playing time of the publication. Products submitted in the previous year may not be submitted again. Each production can be proposed for any number of categories. A one-time fee of 50.00 euros will be charged for each product submitted. If a sound carrier is submitted for several categories, there are no additional costs.
The Echo Jazz award winners were selected by a twelve-person jury made up of a wide variety of industry experts and decided by a simple majority. The following jurors from business and journalism selected the winners in 2017 - with the exception of the "Jazz Label of the Year" and the "Live Act of the Year":
Jury members 2017 :
(As of 2017)
Former jury members :
(As of 2017)
In 2010, Echo Jazz received 75,000 euros from the funds of the Federal Republic of Germany as “one-off start-up funding”. According to the world , it is “at least questionable” that the federal government has “helped the highest music lobby organization in the country to finance a promo event”.
The award ceremony was broadcast on public television until 2017. Responsibility for the dramaturgy of the event (and thus also the selection of the performing artists and the titles played) is shared by the responsible broadcaster with the production company and the Federal Association of the Music Industry, which awards the tickets.
|May 5, 2010||Bochum , Centennial Hall||Till Brönner||WDR|
|June 17, 2011||Dresden , Transparent Factory||Dieter Moor||MDR|
|June 3, 2012||Dresden, Transparent Factory||Dieter Moor|
|May 23, 2013||Hamburg , fish auction hall||Till Brönner and Janin Reinhardt||NDR|
|May 22, 2014||Hamburg, Kampnagel||Hubertus Meyer-Burckhardt|
|May 28, 2015||Hamburg, Blohm + Voss||Roger Cicero and Gregory Porter|
|May 26, 2016||Hamburg, Kampnagel||Götz Alsmann and Gregory Porter|
|June 1, 2017||Hamburg, Blohm + Voss||Götz Alsmann and Nils Landgren|
Before the Echo Jazz was established as a separate award ceremony in 2010, national and, from 2001, international artists in the field of jazz music were honored at the Echo Pop Awards from 1994 to 2009 .
(As of 2018)
- Most award winners in one category:
- ACT (4); Between 2010 and 2013, the ACT record label won the Echo Jazz four times in a row in the “Jazz Label of the Year” category. No prize has been awarded in this category since 2014.
- Artists with the most prizes in one evening:
- Diana Krall , Vincent Peirani , Andreas Schaerer , the Tingvall Trio and Michael Wollny (2)
- The singer Diana Krall was the first artist to be awarded more than one Echo Jazz at an award ceremony in 2010, the Tingvall Trio achieved this for the second time in 2012, and Michael Wollny for the third time in 2014. In 2015, both Michael Wollny and Vincent Peirani were able to do two To win rewards.
- In 2011, the German music producer Manfred Eicher complained about "what wonderful prizes you occasionally want to produce and then award in your echo jury meetings" and rejected an echo that he was supposed to receive as a "sponsor of jazz" because this price thwarted his activity as a producer.
- In 2018, eight of the winners of the Echo (also in view of the undoped prize) criticized the late cancellation of the award gala by the Federal Association of the Music Industry as being detrimental to publicity, especially since, according to Sebastian Sternal , the Echo Jazz, unlike the Pop Prize, has always been “a was purely a jury award that relates to artistic quality and not to sales figures. "
- Echo - German Music Prize / Echo Klassik / Echo Jazz on the website of the German Federal Association of Music Industry e. V. (BVMI)
- Echo Jazz website
- New beginning (Eccho Jazz)
- After the Echo was abolished: The Echo Jazz was also canceled - SHZ daily newspaper, May 11, 2018
- Echo Jazz 2018 has also been canceled , interview with Stefan Brandes (NDR)
- ECHO JAZZ 2013 Jazzthing 4/5 2013, p. 42
- Federal Association of the Music Industry: ECHO Jazz | Background. Retrieved November 24, 2017 .
- Does Tokio Hotel need our tax money? , Die Welt, October 6, 2011
- Huflaikhan (aka Martin Hufner) Concerted irresponsibility: The NDR and the ECHO Jazz 2017 , Jazzzeitung , October 28, 2017
- ECHO Jazz: Janin Reinhardt and Tim Brönner moderate the Echo Jazz 2013 (PDF; 350 kB) In: echojazz.de . ECHO jazz. April 25, 2013. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved on April 2, 2015.
- Berliner Morgenpost - Berlin: Cicero and Porter present Echo Jazz . ( Online [accessed November 24, 2017]).
- Music: Götz Alsmann and Gregory Porter moderate Echo Jazz . In: The time . May 3, 2016, ISSN 0044-2070 ( online [accessed November 24, 2017]).
- Götz Alsmann and Nils Landgren moderate ECHO JAZZ. German Music Information Center, May 9, 2017, accessed on November 24, 2017 .
- Manfred Eicher rejects ECHO from Jazzzeitung 5/2011
- Friday, No. 16, April 20, 2011
- Echo Jazz: The winners speak up for the word Jazz thing