David "Dave" Liebman (born September 4, 1946 in Brooklyn , New York City ) is an American tenor and soprano saxophonist (occasionally he also played the flute and clarinet). He is "one of the central saxophonists of Coltrane-influenced modernity."
Live and act
Liebman received piano lessons from the age of nine. From the age of twelve he played the tenor saxophone and, as a teenager, attended John Coltrane's concerts several times . With the help of Bob Moses , he gave his first concert at the age of fourteen. He was privately tutored by Joe Allard , Lennie Tristano, and Charles Lloyd while in high school and studying music at Queens College . He graduated from New York University in American history in 1968. Then he emerged in the New York loft scene as the organizer and musician of the cooperative Free Life Communication . He has been a professional musician since 1970, initially in an early jazz rock band, Ten Wheel Drive , where he was the only woodwind player and also had to play the soprano saxophone.
Then Liebman was part of Elvin Jones ' band for two years , recorded with Miles Davis ( On the Corner , Get Up with It ) before touring worldwide with his group in 1973 and 1974 ( Dark Magus ) and with Bob Moses in the Open Sky Trio played. With his first own group Lookout Farm (together with Richie Beirach , from the end of 1973) he was successful. In 1977 he toured with Chick Corea before founding a quintet (including with John Scofield ) and then performing again with Beirach. Since 1981 he worked collaboratively with him in the Quartet Quest (first with George Mraz and Al Foster , then with Ron McClure and Billy Hart ). In Europe he has performed with numerous musicians such as Joachim Kühn , Daniel Humair , Paolo Fresu , Jon Christensen , Bobo Stenson , Harry Pepl , Michel Portal , VEIN or Jean-Paul Céléa as well as with the WDR Big Band Cologne , the Metropole Orkest and im Area of new music to the Ensemble intercontemporain and the Klangforum Wien . He also wrote cross-genre music for string quartet .
Liebman wrote a number of textbooks, including Chromatic Approach to Jazz Harmony & Melody and Self Portrait of a Jazz Artist . Among saxophonists, his book The Personal Saxophone Sound ("Developing a Personal Saxophone Sound") is particularly respected, in which he describes the entire process of sound generation on the saxophone and exercises in breathing , the movement of the larynx , the tongue position when playing, the approach and the so-called overtone exercises.
In 2018, Dave Liebman donated his personal archive to the Berklee College of Music in Boston.
Prizes and awards
Liebman has been listed almost consistently as one of the leading soprano saxophonists in the Down Beat critics' poll since 1973 . In 2011 he also led the jazz times critics poll.
His album Homage to Coltrane was in 1988 the record of the year by the French Académie du Jazz . In 1997 Liebman received an honorary doctorate from the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, and in 2000 the International Association for Jazz Education elected him to their Hall of Fame . His album Turnaround: The Music of Ornette Coleman received the 2010 German Record Critics Award . In 2011 he was awarded the NEA Jazz Masters Fellowship .
- Self-Portrait of a Jazz Artist: Musical Thoughts and Realities (1988, expanded edition Advance Music 1996); ISBN 978-3-89221-013-9
- A Chromatic Approach to Jazz Harmony and Melody (Advance Music 2012); ISBN 978-3-89221-030-6
- What It Is: The Life of a Jazz Artist (Studies in Jazz; Scarecrow Press 2012, with Lewis Porter); ISBN 978-0-8108-8203-4
- On Education, the Saxophone, and Related Jazz Topics Jamei Aebersold Jazz 2002; ISBN 978-1-56224-059-2
- Developing a Personal Saxophone Sound Medfield: Dorn 1989; German under the title The personal saxophone sound (Ardesa 1993 and Chili Notes 2009); ISBN 978-3-941661-00-4
- 2019: Dave Liebman, Adam Rudolph , Hamid Drake : Chi (RareNoiseRecords)
- 2018: Michael Stephans, David Liebman, Marc Copland , Drew Gress : Quartette Oblique (Sunnyside)
- 2017: Dave Liebman & Joe Lovano : Compassion: The Music of John Coltrane ( Resonance Records )
- 2015: Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach: Balladscapes (Intuition)
- 2014: Presents Ceremony (Chesky 2014, with Willy Rodriguez, Paolo Stagnaro, Gabo Lugo, Marcos López, Oscar Stagnaro)
- 2012: David Liebman & Ellery Eskelin : Non Sequiturs (HatOLOGY)
- 2009: Dave Liebman Group: Live at MCG (recorded in 1995) (MCG Jazz, with Phil Markowitz , Vic Juris , Tony Marino , Jamey Haddad )
- 2008: Dave Liebman & Enrico Intra Liebman meets Intra Contenuto (Alfa Music)
- 2005: Dave Liebman & Bobby Avey : Vienna Dialogues (Zoho Music)
- 2005: David Liebman, Richie Beirach, Ron McClure, Billy Hart: Redemption ( HatHut Records )
- 2004: Dave Liebman Group: In a Mellow Tone (Zoho Music, with Vic Juris, Tony Marino, Jamey Haddad)
- 2003: Andreas Schmidt & Dave Liebman & Friends in Berlin ( JazzHausMusik )
- 1990: David Liebman Quintet If They Only Knew ( Timeless Records 1990, with Terumasa Hino , John Scofield, Ron McClure, Adam Nussbaum )
- 1986: The Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner ( CMP , 1986; solo)
- 1986: David Liebman, Richard Beirach, Ron McClure, Billy Hart Quest II ( Storyville Records )
- 1981: Dave Liebman, Richie Beirach, George Mraz, Al Foster Quest ( Palo Alto )
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz. 1800 bands and artists from the beginning until today. 2nd, expanded and updated edition. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2004, ISBN 3-476-01892-X .
- Richard Cook : Jazz Encyclopedia . Penguin, London 2007; ISBN 978-0-14-102646-6 .
- Leonard Feather , Ira Gitler : The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz. Oxford University Press, New York 1999, ISBN 0-19-532000-X .
- Wolf Kampmann (Ed.), With the assistance of Ekkehard Jost : Reclams Jazzlexikon . Reclam, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-15-010528-5 .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 1: A – L (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16512). 2nd Edition. Rowohlt, Reinbek near Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-499-16512-0 .
- Official website of David Liebman (with extensive discography)
- Portrait (insidejazz.com)
- M. Vashlishan The Origins of David Liebman's Approach to Improvisation
- Wolf Kampmann Reclam's Jazz Lexicon
- Review All About Jazz
- Discussion of Jazzthing
- Discussion of Jazzthing
- AllAboutJazz from December 4, 2009: Review of the album Live at MCG
- Quest at Allmusic (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Liebman, Dave|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz musician (tenor and soprano saxophone, flute, composition)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 4, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brooklyn|