Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru
|Transport for Wales
|company||Keolis Amey Operations / Gweithrediadau Keolis Amey Ltd|
|Seat||Keolis (UK) Limited
Evergreen Building North
160 Euston Road
|Wales and Borders
October 14th 2018 -
October 15th 2033
|Parent company||Keolis , Amey|
North West England
The British railway company English Transport for Wales , Welsh Trafnidiaeth Cymru , also TfW Rail or TrC Trenau for short , has been operating the Wales & Borders franchise, i.e. most trains in Wales , as well as some routes in neighboring English regions , since October 14, 2018 . Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru uses the brand of the Welsh government organization of the same name, but is a private consortium of Keolis and Amey (official name of the company: Keolis Amey Operations / Gweithrediadau Keolis Amey Ltd ).
In contrast to the Arriva Trains Wales franchise, the new franchise was not awarded by the British government, but by the Welsh government.
A year later, in October 2017, Arriva withdrew from the competition for the franchise, followed in February 2018 by Abellio after its partner Carillion filed for bankruptcy. On May 23, 2018, the Welsh government finally awarded the franchise to KeolisAmey.
Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru took over the fleet of Arriva Trains Wales, consisting of diesel multiple units of the series 142 , 143 , 150 , 153 , 158 and 175 as well as Mark 3 passenger cars.
|model series||image||Type||Maximum speed||Number of cars||number||stretch||Construction year|
|mph||km / h|
Premier Service : Holyhead – Cardiff Central
|Mark 3||Passenger cars||12||1975-88|
|142 Pacer||Diesel railcars||75||121||2||15th||Valley Lines & Cardiff suburban railways||1985-87|
|143 Pacer||Diesel railcars||75||121||2||15th||Valley Lines & Cardiff suburban railways||1985-86|
|150/2 Sprinter||Diesel railcars||75||121||2||36||
|153 Super Sprinter||Diesel railcars||75||121||1||8th||
|158/0 Express Sprinter||Diesel railcars||90||140||2||24||
|175/0 & 175/1 Coradia||Diesel railcars||100||161||2||11||Regional trains between North West England, North and South Wales||1999-01|
The entire current fleet of Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru is to be replaced by 2023 (with the exception of the 67 series locomotives), half of these new trains are to be built in Llanwern at CAF .
12 Mark 4 passenger cars are to be taken over from London North Eastern Railway after a modernization , five class 230 railcars (conversions from the London Underground D78 floor ) from Vivarail will then be added to the fleet .
|model series||image||Type||Maximum speed||Number of cars||number||stretch||Construction year||Installation|
|mph||km / h|
|Mark 4||Passenger cars||140||225||-||12||Trains between North and South Wales||1989-92||2019|
|153 Super Sprinter||Diesel railcars||75||121||1||5||Rural routes in West Wales||1987-88||2019|
|170/2 Turbostar||Diesel railcars||100||161||2||4th||
|k. A. Civity||Diesel railcars||k. A.||k. A.||2||51||
|230 D-Train||DEMU||60||97||3||5||Conwy Valley Line , Borderlands line , Chester-Crewe||k. A.||2019|
|k. A. FLIRT||DEMU||k. A.||k. A.||4th||11||Trains in South East Wales||k. A.||2022|
|769 Flex||BMU||k. A.||k. A.||4th||5||Still unknown||k. A.||(1987-1988)|
|k. A. FLIRT||TMU||k. A.||k. A.||3||7th||Trains between Rhymney / Coryton and Penarth / Barry Island / Bridgend via Glamorgan Valley||k. A.||2023|
|k. A. Citylink||Tram train||k. A.||k. A.||3||36||Trains to Treherbert, Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil||k. A.||2022-23|
- Rail operator shortlist revealed. Welsh Government / Llywodraeth Cymru, October 12, 2016, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Keith Barrow: Arriva pulls out of Wales & Borders franchise contest. International Railway Journal, October 30, 2017, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Arriva Trains Wales drops out of Welsh rail franchise bid. BBC , October 30, 2017, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Abellio ends rail bid after Carillion collapse. BBC , February 23, 2018, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Abellio pulls out of Wales & Borders bidding. Railway Gazette , February 23, 2018, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Wales' rail and Metro franchise to be run by KeolisAmey. BBC , May 23, 2018, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Sion Barry: How Wales' railways will be transformed with new stations, trains and jobs through investment worth billions. Reach, June 4, 2018, accessed September 30, 2018 .
- AMs WB Overview Presentation vJP AM. (PDF) (No longer available online.) KeolisAmey Wales, formerly in the original ; accessed on June 5, 2018 (English). ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- What’s Happening in North Wales. Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru (Organization of the Welsh Government), accessed June 4, 2018 .
- Service Improvements. (PDF) Transport for Wales, accessed June 4, 2018 .
- What this means for Mid and South West Wales. Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru (Organization of the Welsh Government), accessed 30 September 2018 .
- KeolisAmey reveal new-look Wales trains and services. BBC , June 4, 2018, accessed June 4, 2018 .
- Vivarail announce new order for Wales and Borders. Vivarail, June 7, 2018, accessed October 2, 2018 .
- What's Happening In South East Wales. Transport for Wales / Trafnidiaeth Cymru (Organization of the Welsh Government), accessed 30 September 2018 .